Menu

Thoughts on *mom* easy high school

Hi all~

I'm back after a few years having our children in a part-time school!

Now we are heading into high school in the fall (with a 7th grader also). I'm hot on the search for a strong, easy to implement high school program. I'd like to keep us all studying the same time period in history. We are planning to use TT for Geometry and Apologia Biology but the rest is anybody's guess at this point. I do not want to pull it all together myself and I prefer a program with a Christian worldview.

Our son (the high schooler) is very strong in math and science, likes history but is not tremendously fond of language arts. He has three years of Latin behind him (Cambridge)...though we would like to finish the third book...anyone have any suggestions as to how to do that? (he was enrolled in a weekly class prior to this but they are not offering a fourth year at this time)

Can anyone share recommendations?

Thanks!

Janine in Ca

We started to use History Odyssey with my 9th grader this year. I also have a 7th grader and 2 4th graders. If the child does History Odyssey independently, there isn't a whole lot of prep for the mom.

I have had to go through the maps and make my own key because some of my children had trouble determining placement of cities, political regions, etc. I also read aloud a lot of the books because we are doing it together.

If I hadn't purchased HO already, I would reconsider Sonlight. I have looked at it a lot over the years, but never bit the bullet and purchased a core.

For language we have been using CLE. I did not use the 9th grade books this year as my son is a bit behind. We will pick that up next year.

Jennie

Honestly? I would highly recommend one or more Potter's School classes. They are somewhat expensive (around $475/year), but are a true lifesaver for those high school classes that are difficult to teach.

For me, writing classes are the number one thing to outsource. Many homeschool moms I know feel the same way; it gets to the point where teens tend to take writing correction too personally when it comes from the parent. YMMV, but that's my opinion. So I would highly recommend starting with English. My daughters have taken maybe 4 different Potter's School English classes, and they have all been very good (one class) or excellent (three classes).

Your "Achilles heel" might be something different . . . high school science or math, for instance. Look at the Potter's School for a multitude of choices. I have been really, really pleased with the vast majority of classes my daughters have taken there. And it's been a lifesaver for ME these last couple years as I've had two babies. :)

HTH.

Hi all~

I'm back after a few years having our children in a part-time school!

Now we are heading into high school in the fall (with a 7th grader also). I'm hot on the search for a strong, easy to implement high school program. I'd like to keep us all studying the same time period in history. We are planning to use TT for Geometry and Apologia Biology but the rest is anybody's guess at this point. I do not want to pull it all together myself and I prefer a program with a Christian worldview.

Our son (the high schooler) is very strong in math and science, likes history but is not tremendously fond of language arts. He has three years of Latin behind him (Cambridge)...though we would like to finish the third book...anyone have any suggestions as to how to do that? (he was enrolled in a weekly class prior to this but they are not offering a fourth year at this time)

Can anyone share recommendations?

Thanks!

Janine in Ca

For history, Notgrass might work well here or My Father's World. With my MFW you could have your children studying the same time period, but the high school program integrates Notgrass. It does have a Christian worldview.

Veronica

Everyone is on the same page in history, the new program is much easier to use, and it has a strong Christian worldview. It does take time toward the end of the week to discuss that week's reading with your child, but that's a big part of why we hs--to discuss together what they are learning. It does take some time, up front, to get the necessary books.