Menu

Question about math programs

I have a daughter who is 4th grade by age, but doing 5th grade math, she catches onto concepts very easily. We have used Horizons which I am happy with, but I'm looking for something that could be more challenging for her. I tested her with Teaching Textbooks to start at level 7, I've heard good things and bad on that one. R & S appears to be behind Horizons in many concepts. I have done Singapore with other children with mixed results, but it might be a good fit for her. Maybe I should pick one program and supplement. I don't want to hold her back using a rote program by "year" if there might be a better way. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful!

For a mathy student, I would definitely go with Singapore Math over Teaching Textbooks. I'd also suggest adding Challenging Word Problems. My 10 yo has recently finished SM 6 and is now doing a Russian Math 6 which is even harder, and great for helping to further develop mathematical thinking.

The reason we went with SM was because of this forum (on the old boards) and we've never looked back. We did try TT Algebra 1 for my mathy eldest, and she found it too easy. Of course, it starts with pre-Algebra and apparently eventually catches up. However, I found it lacking in theory and rigour, which I think mathy kids ought to get to sooner or later in order to help their logic and thinking skills.

I don't want to hold her back using a rote program by "year" if there might be a better way. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful!

How about Design-A-Study, Maximum Math? http://www.designastudy.com/products/mathematics.html

This book is useful in planning for kids who don't fit into the typical mold.

I also find sticking with one curriculum somewhat limiting. I dip into various curricula, depending on the topic I want to teach and the way it happens to be presented in a particular book. If I had to pick one program, I do like Singapore for the younger grades.

How about Design-A-Study, Maximum Math? http://www.designastudy.com/products/mathematics.html

This book is useful in planning for kids who don't fit into the typical mold.

I also find sticking with one curriculum somewhat limiting. I dip into various curricula, depending on the topic I want to teach and the way it happens to be presented in a particular book. If I had to pick one program, I do like Singapore for the younger grades.

We do 2 programs at a time, but SM is the mainstay.

We use MUS and supplement with Singapore. Singapore alone didn't seem to cut it for my kids, but with MUS it is great. However, if you want to go a completely different way, what about the Life of Fred books? Or just keep using what you're using and skip lessons that she knows already.

We use MUS and supplement with Singapore. Singapore alone didn't seem to cut it for my kids, but with MUS it is great. However, if you want to go a completely different way, what about the Life of Fred books? Or just keep using what you're using and skip lessons that she knows already.

We do the same combo, but in our case, we tried MUS and for us it wasn't enough, so Singapore became our mainstay--you have to find what works! We are going to try LoF for fun, though.