Menu

Question for chicken owners

Right now dh and I have 21 chickens (3 roosters) and we would like our flock to be self perpetuating. We have 10 Rhode Island Reds and 8 of the sex linked reds. I have been told that the RRR should be broody but ours are not.

None of our chickens will sit on eggs.

Does anyone have a type of chicken that will always sit on eggs? I have been told bantam chickens are broody and the buff orpingtons are also. We are going to order in May and are trying to figure out what to purchase.

Any recommendations? I would also appreciate any experience you can share.

I always have a Buffy who is ready to sit on a clutch. Those chickens that are bred to be better "producers" like the sex linked types tend not to be as broody. I've had all types of chickens and can say that my Buff Orphingtons have been the most prone to broodiness - with the exception of my banty silkies. A banty can't sit on very many eggs at once, though.

I agree that the sex links are the least likely of your flock to go broody, but I have seen both these and RIR's "go there". Now is not an especially typical time of year for a hen to be broody in PA. They're smart enough to know that the weather isn't quite steady enough, the food not quite consistent enough. Somewhere long about June -- that's when the majority of our birds would be sitting, right when I wanted eggs the most! ;) Have you had your birds long enough for them to have gone through a season of potential broodiness yet? Also, I am convinced that birds are like human women -- if one goes broody, others will soon follow! Pheremones, I'm sure!!

Okay, so all that said (long on words, sorry)

Yes to the Buff Orpingtons followed closely by Black Australorps, though neither will ever be your very best layers. Not as much broodiness in the White or Barred Rocks, but definitely some. Same to the Wyandottes and Easter Eggers (faux-Araucanas). I've never owned banties, but I hear they sit like nobody's business. However, then you've got one laying itty bitty eggs, and wandering in the flock w/ your standard size roosters.

Oh, one last question -- are your birds well established and "safe" in their coop? Broody birds go hand in hand (wing in wing?) with comfort. Little risk of predators (rodents, four leggers, birds of prey, reptiles), plenty of food, cozy nesting space. You can't make a bird go broody (not that you thought you could), but these things will help.

Just some bird bits,

Doran

We had a huge flock of Buffs, and they would sit on their eggs, but after they hatched something would go horribly wrong and they cannabilized the chicks the minute they hatched. It was awful.

We also had a flock of silkies and they were the sweetest, most affectionate chickens I've ever seen. They loved to set (not sit, set) and hatched out anything they could. But being small they couldn't hatch as many at once.

Edited to add- I'm not trying to correct anyone on the usage of "sit" or "set", it just sounds incorrect to me to say "set" even though I know hens set.

Have you had your birds long enough for them to have gone through a season of potential broodiness yet?

Oh, one last question -- are your birds well established and "safe" in their coop? Broody birds go hand in hand (wing in wing?) with comfort. Little risk of predators (rodents, four leggers, birds of prey, reptiles), plenty of food, cozy nesting space. You can't make a bird go broody (not that you thought you could), but these things will help.

Our RIR will be 2yo in March. The sex linked will be one in May (but I have no hope for these). I have read that RIR will be broody but have heard mixed reviews. I will be looking this summer for any setters.

As for our environment, the chickens are free range with plenty of space with water and feed available at all times. They are locked up at night and there is plenty of room for all. They are all very good layers, with 18 hens we get about 12 to 15 eggs a day.

We did have a fox problem last year but as soon as summer hit it went away. Nothing has threatened them since (except the dog :)).

Is broodiness age related? Maybe they were too young last year?

I think we are doing to go with the buff orpingtons for a sure thing. We like having chickens and were looking to get different types.

Thanks for your help!

Adrianne

Is broodiness age related? Maybe they were too young last year?

I think we are doing to go with the buff orpingtons for a sure thing. We like having chickens and were looking to get different types.

I've never seen a pullet go broody, so yes, broodiness does seem age related. Makes sense when you think about it - until they are a year old, they are not even really full grown themselves, and their eggs do not always reach proper size until then either.

Have fun with the chicks when they come. :) That will be a whole new thing to learn about and love!

Doran