Menu

Where do you think there are "holes" or need for curriculum in the homeschool market?

HappyGrace

I haven't read every page in this thread so I don't know if I'm repeating. . .

After reading several recent threads, I wonder if there isn't a need for a curriculum that is a traditional (textbook or workbook)/ lit-based combo. I think a lot of people see the value in learning though literature, but just don't have the time, money, focus, or whatever is needed to do this approach well (at least with younger grades). I enjoy piecing together my own curriculum and reading books with my son but I have only one I'm schooling. If I had three or four or more kids I'm sure I'd be looking for something more "independent-learning." And prob feeling pangs of guilt for missing out on the ultimate form of home-education! ;) You can only combine so much.

Perhaps something like well-written texts/workbooks laid out in daily lessons with a few related books (easily found at libraries!) recommended occasionally throughout the text? Maybe including some great features of classical, such as chronological history rotation, copywork, outlining, etc? There may be a few individual programs like this out there (I was wondering if Christian Kids Explore and the new Earth Logic mentioned above would be similar to this), but it would be nice to have a whole curriculum-- "Just send it to me in a box!" I know there are a lot of busy moms out there with a lot on their plate.

That's what I would want, anyway.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you could specifically help with this but my dream curriculum would be a Catholic version of Winter Promise/Sonlight. I get so tired of constantly adapting things and being on my guard for anti-Catholic references (that are even prevalent in secular programs). Good luck with your venture. My sister and I have often spoken of attempting such a venture but haven't had the motivation yet to start.

:iagree: a very broad program like Sonlight, but Catholic-friendly. I would buy "cores" no matter how expensive if this were available. And for science, I specifically want Old-Earth explanations.

I know that we can get a few things already like Catholic Mosaic for younger kids, and Mary Daly has a few science options (I haven't tried either of these yet but I may in the near term).

Edited by Dana in OR

After reading several recent threads, I wonder if there isn't a need for a curriculum that is a traditional (textbook or workbook)/ lit-based combo.

Perhaps something like well-written texts/workbooks laid out in daily lessons with a few related books (easily found at libraries!) recommended occasionally throughout the text? Maybe including some great features of classical, such as chronological history rotation, copywork, outlining, etc? There may be a few individual programs like this out there.

I am thinking.... secular CLE?

:iagree: a very broad program like Sonlight, but Catholic-friendly. I would buy "cores" no matter how expensive if this were available. And for science, I specifically want Old-Earth explanations.

I know that we can get a few things already like Catholic Mosaic for younger kids, and Mary Daly has a few science options (I haven't tried either of these yet but I may in the near term).

How about secular WP? It wouldn't be Catholic unfriendly. :)

I am thinking.... secular CLE?

How about secular WP? It wouldn't be Catholic unfriendly. :)

I would still want Catholic-specific resources (living books). I would use a secular science program, however.

If one is trying to market to a particular segment of a population, I would know that segment very well, market to it, and not worry about cross-over.

I would love something like Omnibus for high school, but with more history included. And I would love to teach the Great Books in the context of a traditional high school curriculum. I.e World Lit, American Lit, and British Lit - with history corresponding. I also think some of the Omnibus dialectic book choices are ridiculous:tongue_smilie:.

My plan is a hodge podge-

10th - Abeka World Lit

Hewitt Honors World History w/ Streams

Summer before 11th - Community college Eng Comp 101

11th - PA homeschoolers AP US history

Community college American Lit 1 &2

12th - PA homeschoolers AP European History

Community college British Lit 1 & 2

I'm happy with this plan including AP sciences and maths. I hope will make our children attractive to our competitive state university. I just want to be sure I'm able to pass down our theology/worldview through our studies to our children before they leave the nest.

I would like to see a history curriculum (K-12) written from a Doctrines of Grace/Baptist worldview.

Abeka/BJU and others have a Baptist worldview but are not Doctrines of Grace.

Veritas Press and many others have a Doctrines of Grace worldview but are paedo-baptist/dominionist.

I don't imagine there'd be much of a market for such a curriculum, but it sure would make my life easier.

FWIW, we are a Sovereign Grace Baptist family, very conservative in worship practices (no rock music or worship dancing/drama; no youth group; no Purpose Driven anything). Although we do believe in the Doctrines of Grace as outlined by Calvin and other reformers, we are not dominionist - we do not think there is such a thing as creating a Christian nation on this earth and have no desire to pursue that either spiritually or politically - rather, we believe that Christians are supposed to be salt and light in this world, loving our neighbors as ourselves and pointing to them to Christ by our lives and by the preaching of God's word. We do not consider this earth to be our home and are not interested in bringing American back to its so-called Christian roots.

Most of the Christian curriculum available, from what I've seen, seems like propoganda designed to get Christians involved in politics and encourages them to work towards creating a Protestant sacral society. It doesn't suit us at all.

Like I said, probably not much of a market for it, but, oh, how wonderful it would be!

I would think Marcia Summerville/ Tapestry of Grace would meet your criteria nicely. Btw, I don't use that curriculum, but I am very familiar with it.