Menu

Where do you think there are "holes" or need for curriculum in the homeschool market?

HappyGrace

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science for primary through logic stage, but especially science for primary (k-2) age. There isn't anything out there that focuses on cultivating children's innate scientific natures - at least nothing that is easily accessible to parents. Everything seems to be about learning science fact (information) and not about doing science (thinking process, not just cookbook labs).

In addition, I may be the only one looking for this, but a child-friendly, secular, logical explanation of all the major world religions.

Nope. I'm trying to piece together something for that too. If there was such thing as a Bible curriculum for non-Christians, I'd buy it!! No idea who else in the world would want it though.

Rosie

Nope. I'm trying to piece together something for that too. If there was such thing as a Bible curriculum for non-Christians, I'd buy it!! No idea who else in the world would want it though.

Rosie

Meeeee! :seeya: I'd love a grownup or child's Christian bible with annotations about history, literature, and comparative religion. I'd have art in it, too. I realize this would be a massive book, so it could be abridged.

I thought the general concensus was that History Oddysey did a good job for secular logic stage history.

I thought so too, but for myself anyway, it was too much Open the encyclopedia, outline, etc, without any narrative spine pulling anything together, like SOTW does. At least that's how it seemed to me.

I would like to see a history curriculum (K-12) written from a Doctrines of Grace/Baptist worldview.

Abeka/BJU and others have a Baptist worldview but are not Doctrines of Grace.

Veritas Press and many others have a Doctrines of Grace worldview but are paedo-baptist/dominionist.

I don't imagine there'd be much of a market for such a curriculum, but it sure would make my life easier.

FWIW, we are a Sovereign Grace Baptist family, very conservative in worship practices (no rock music or worship dancing/drama; no youth group; no Purpose Driven anything). Although we do believe in the Doctrines of Grace as outlined by Calvin and other reformers, we are not dominionist - we do not think there is such a thing as creating a Christian nation on this earth and have no desire to pursue that either spiritually or politically - rather, we believe that Christians are supposed to be salt and light in this world, loving our neighbors as ourselves and pointing to them to Christ by our lives and by the preaching of God's word. We do not consider this earth to be our home and are not interested in bringing American back to its so-called Christian roots.

Most of the Christian curriculum available, from what I've seen, seems like propoganda designed to get Christians involved in politics and encourages them to work towards creating a Protestant sacral society. It doesn't suit us at all.

Like I said, probably not much of a market for it, but, oh, how wonderful it would be!

Hmmm....my wish list:

Secular character building program

Something similiar to Queen's Homeschool products, but secular based

Winter Promise type program--but secular and more affordable

Veritas Press type program--secular

And I'm not sure what I want here--but something else for math. Perhaps a curriculum with real world applications, lots of get up and do activities (ie. measure such and such,balancing checkbooks, tripling recipes,etc.) I have been coming up with various ideas, but I wouldn't mind if someone else does this for me.:)

Meeeee! :seeya: I'd love a grownup or child's Christian bible with annotations about history, literature, and comparative religion. I'd have art in it, too. I realize this would be a massive book, so it could be abridged.

I'd love to have a book like this!

And I'm not sure what I want here--but something else for math. Perhaps a curriculum with real world applications, lots of get up and do activities (ie. measure such and such,balancing checkbooks, tripling recipes,etc.) I have been coming up with various ideas, but I wouldn't mind if someone else does this for me.:)

For K-8, it has been done. Math on the Level is exactly what you are describing.

:)

Rosie

Where I am at right now, with older secular kids, is, I would love some ebook downloadable study guides for books we are reading, and maybe just for general literature appreciation on a deeper level. I'm not 100% sure what I am really looking for, but i feel the need to go into some of our literature more deeply, but I dont want to analyse it to death, either.

I know Lightning Lit is popular, but we had already read most of the books so it didnt seem worth the exhorbitant price of getting them here to Australia to see if they were useable. Something along those lines (not that I have seen it) that is in separate parts, (I know they do have separate programs for some things) but downloadable, would be good.

Clear as mud?

Where I am at right now, with older secular kids, is, I would love some ebook downloadable study guides for books we are reading, and maybe just for general literature appreciation on a deeper level. I'm not 100% sure what I am really looking for, but i feel the need to go into some of our literature more deeply, but I dont want to analyse it to death, either.

I thought that's what Teaching the Classics was for? I have some vague idea of you having said you'd used that.

Rosie

I'm considering writing some curriculum-many friends with whom I've shared things I've written have said I should sell what I write. It would be fairly simple, nothing complicated, but I'd like to fill a need. I'm just tossing around doing this so far, not totally committed to it yet. What's missing in the homeschool market?

I'd like a History of the Americas alternative to SL 3 and 4/WP American History. Something like SL Core 5 but about the Americas instead of just US history. As is I'm searching Brazilian websites for supplimental materials. SOTW for Latin American History would be wonderful!

Also, IGs as ebooks. Shipping overseas is getting more and more expensive. Combine that with ever more restrictive weight limits on luggage.

Edited by violin69

Could you be more specific as to what is wrong with the logic stage science and history that is currently available that makes this a hole that needs filling?

Well, I don't want to speak for others, but for myself I wish there was a logic stage SOTW. I'm not saying that SWB needs to write one, but it seems like the bar was set so high with the grammer stage history that I wish there was another program that was built around one really great narrative spine that captured the students interest. Then have an activity book that included timelines, more advanced map work, outlining, writing, etc. At least my kids really haven't been turned on to history like they were with SOTW.

Well, I don't want to speak for others, but for myself I wish there was a logic stage SOTW. I'm not saying that SWB needs to write one, but it seems like the bar was set so high with the grammer stage history that I wish there was another program that was built around one really great narrative spine that captured the students interest. Then have an activity book that included timelines, more advanced map work, outlining, writing, etc. At least my kids really haven't been turned on to history like they were with SOTW.

Okay, so the original SOTW has narrative text at a grammar stage level. It has mapping and projects at a grammar stage level. It has writing (via narration) at a grammar stage level. It has suggested reading at a grammar stage level.

So... do all of the above but bump it up to logic stage level, then sell it for under $50?

Okay, Mamas who have lived through the logic stage, who is up for the challenge?

Okay, so the original SOTW has narrative text at a grammar stage level. It has mapping and projects at a grammar stage level. It has writing (via narration) at a grammar stage level. It has suggested reading at a grammar stage level.

So... do all of the above but bump it up to logic stage level, then sell it for under $50?

Okay, Mamas who have lived through the logic stage, who is up for the challenge?

In a nutshell, yes. I would also like some discussion questions, like "what did the American Revolution have in common with the French Revolution" or "How did the American Revolution inspire the French Revolution" or thing to that effect. One of the important goals of logic stage is to see connections, but I'm basically learning history along with my kids and find it hard to really bring these sorts of questions to the table until it's too late.

What I'd like is some secular or religiously inclusive values and character education stuff. Philosophy for Kids is just about the only thing I've found that would fit that bill (and it's wonderful).

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Good-Kids-Activities-Self-Awareness/dp/1575420090

Some of the activities are designed for groups, but you could easily adapt the concepts for one child.

I would like to see a history curriculum (K-12) written from a Doctrines of Grace/Baptist worldview.

FWIW, we are a Sovereign Grace Baptist family, very conservative in worship practices (no rock music or worship dancing/drama; no youth group; no Purpose Driven anything). Although we do believe in the Doctrines of Grace as outlined by Calvin and other reformers, we are not dominionist - we do not think there is such a thing as creating a Christian nation on this earth and have no desire to pursue that either spiritually or politically - rather, we believe that Christians are supposed to be salt and light in this world, loving our neighbors as ourselves and pointing to them to Christ by our lives and by the preaching of God's word. We do not consider this earth to be our home and are not interested in bringing American back to its so-called Christian roots.

Most of the Christian curriculum available, from what I've seen, seems like propoganda designed to get Christians involved in politics and encourages them to work towards creating a Protestant sacral society. It doesn't suit us at all.

Like I said, probably not much of a market for it, but, oh, how wonderful it would be!

DING DING DING DING!!! :iagree:

I can't believe it. I got to page SIX before seeing something that hasn't already been done. I, too, would love to have something written from the above viewpoint.

Although I did see something on page 2 that doesn't exist (that I'm aware of), which I'd love to have:

American History post Civil War Someone needs to write something like "The World of..." for Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan.

Teddy Roosevelt's life covers 1858-1919 (which would fit after Abraham Lincoln) and Ronald Reagan's life covers 1911-2004 which would overlap nicely and bring us to the present day.

And more elementary and middle school historical biographies about WWI, Korean War, Vietnam War, Civil Rights, Space Race, Cold War, etc.... There is a much smaller selection compared to other historical periods in the US.

Would LOVE this! :thumbup1:

In a nutshell, yes. I would also like some discussion questions, like "what did the American Revolution have in common with the French Revolution" or "How did the American Revolution inspire the French Revolution" or thing to that effect. One of the important goals of logic stage is to see connections, but I'm basically learning history along with my kids and find it hard to really bring these sorts of questions to the table until it's too late.
Oh yes, good idea. I'd pay more than $50 with that included!

Abeka/BJU and others have a Baptist worldview but are not Doctrines of Grace.

Veritas Press and many others have a Doctrines of Grace worldview but are paedo-baptist/dominionist.

I don't imagine there'd be much of a market for such a curriculum, but it sure would make my life easier.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Secular, high school level science is the biggest need.

Secular, high school level history with literature and writing integrated is probably second, but it's a distant second.

Actually anything secular at high school level would be 3rd.

Secular is the greatest need. There are a ton of Christian hs programs and materials out there, but very little secular.

Do you mean a SOCanada? If not, could you explain what you mean? SOTW with an emphasis on Canada, since SOTW now empasises the US too much, or... :confused:

Sorry, I only saw this thread again, tonight. What is SOCanada? Do you mean the Lunn book?

What I meant was that I would love to see a history of Canada, written in narrative form--just as SoTW is. Then, I want an AG with pentrating questions, and lots of books listed for further reading (at all levels) and a few projects. And maps. OH heavens, how I want maps. Blank outline maps. I almost have a list made up! Now, there would be an interesting package to put together if I could figure out how to do it!

What one has to do right now is purchase a book which coordinates and correlates different books for you--and then you read several different books in order to cover one time period. There is no "spine" as it were for upper elementary (Donala Dickie's book is fine for grades K-2). The Story of Canada by Lunn is the closest one gets--but it is a tad too "textbooky" for me. Perhaps I'll like it better the more we use it.

I picked up Heather Penner's book of "correlations" of different sources at a Homeschool conference this last weekend (Canaidian History Through Modern Eyes. A awful title, really) --and again, I'm up late at night making charts to create my own curriculuum from it. It is a huge pain. (But she does have the events in Cdn history correlated to SoTW so that's helpful!)

Good luck...it seems like there are lots of special neglected niches out there.

I'd love good logic, informal logic, and critical thinking materials that actually stuck to the subjects and weren't an excuse for authors to push their extremist ideological positions on hot-button issues or their theology as is the case with the Blundorn and Nance/Wilson materials.

Bill

Someone needs to write something like "The World of..." for Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan.

Teddy Roosevelt's life covers 1858-1919 (which would fit after Abraham Lincoln) and Ronald Reagan's life covers 1911-2004 which would overlap nicely and bring us to the present day.

And more elementary and middle school historical biographies about WWI, Korean War, Vietnam War, Civil Rights, Space Race, Cold War, etc.... There is a much smaller selection compared to other historical periods in the US.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Especially if the books were challenging (appropriate for gifted readers).

• 2 weeks later...

Something non-science-types can teach, without it being highly teacher-intensive. Preferably following the classical outlines of biology/ earth&space/ chemistry/ physics... but with a 2 or 3-year window of when it could be used. Preferably usable in any order (aka each book stands alone), but having all of the classical divisions. Plenty of hands-on and practicing, without too much writing, and not so many all-out experiments that a non-scientist stand-aside type like myself can still manage.

I have just recently put together a middle-level (logic stage) earth science curriculum. Here is a link to a free outline and lesson plan sample. Let me know what you all think of it. I'm still tweaking it so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm using the 4 year cycle as a guideline but am producing individual volumes (Earth Science will be available in 3 volumes) so that parents/teachers can pick and choose and teach according to student interest, etc.

My future plans include units on astronomy, weather & climate, plants, animals, ecology, chemistry, and electricity & magnetism. I would like some feedback before I proceed with the other units.

Thanks,

Makita

Edited by Makita

Yes, that would be good. Something that integrates spelling, grammar, writing, literature appreciation....

Yes please: a secular, fully integrated, *Classical* Language Arts program (i.e., deep, rigorous, and not workbooky). And I'd like the vocabulary component to be based on Latin & Greek roots. AND I'd like it to be "open & go," not something where I have to read a long teacher's manual and watch 17 videos in order to implement it. :tongue_smilie:

I hate having to either cobble together multiple (often overlapping) LA curricula or settle for a standard fill-in-the-blanks mixed-LA workbook like Spectrum/Flashkids/Critical Thinking Co. Sigh.

Jackie

Yes please: a secular, fully integrated, *Classical* Language Arts program (i.e., deep, rigorous, and not workbooky). And I'd like the vocabulary component to be based on Latin & Greek roots. AND I'd like it to be "open & go," not something where I have to read a long teacher's manual and watch 17 videos in order to implement it. :tongue_smilie:

I hate having to either cobble together multiple (often overlapping) LA curricula or settle for a standard fill-in-the-blanks mixed-LA workbook like Spectrum/Flashkids/Critical Thinking Co. Sigh.

Jackie

Here's a start, and it's free from Google books! (Spelling and Greek/Latin)

The Spelling-Book Consisting of Word in Columns and Sentences for Oral and Written Exercises Together with Prefixes, Affixes, and Important Roots from the Greek and Latin Languages by William D. Swan (1854).

http://books.google.com/books?id=6QISAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=spelling%20book&lr=

Spelling Rules begin on page 43, Latin on p. 93, Greek on p. 124. It also touches on some other LA areas.