Menu

Where do you think there are "holes" or need for curriculum in the homeschool market?

HappyGrace

I'm considering writing some curriculum-many friends with whom I've shared things I've written have said I should sell what I write. It would be fairly simple, nothing complicated, but I'd like to fill a need. I'm just tossing around doing this so far, not totally committed to it yet. What's missing in the homeschool market?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always thinking gosh, if someone should come up with something great for this, I would be the first in line to get it. Something easy to use, easy to teach, and the student would know exactly how to write a great literary analysis. There are a couple of things on the market now, but not many.

Yes, a great logic stage history program: engaging, intelligent, and the spine being a colorful, beautiful living book. Hehe..

In addition, I may be the only one looking for this, but a child-friendly, secular, logical explanation of all the major world religions.

Not sure if you could specifically help with this but my dream curriculum would be a Catholic version of Winter Promise/Sonlight. I get so tired of constantly adapting things and being on my guard for anti-Catholic references (that are even prevalent in secular programs). Good luck with your venture. My sister and I have often spoken of attempting such a venture but haven't had the motivation yet to start.

Someone needs to write something like "The World of..." for Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan.

Teddy Roosevelt's life covers 1858-1919 (which would fit after Abraham Lincoln) and Ronald Reagan's life covers 1911-2004 which would overlap nicely and bring us to the present day.

And more elementary and middle school historical biographies about WWI, Korean War, Vietnam War, Civil Rights, Space Race, Cold War, etc.... There is a much smaller selection compared to other historical periods in the US.

I dream of a great secular science program for logic and high school. We're a pastor's family, but that doesn't mean we want all of our science to be creation based. I also agree with the others who would like something great for literary analysis. I'm lagging in that area.

I want secular curriculum that is written by and for homeschoolers. Not textbooks or workbooks originally intended for public schools.

A complete unit study curriculum, like Konos or Christian Cottage, but secular. What a dream!

Narrative, living book style science, like the Apologia stuff.

Complete, living book history, all laid out with plenty of read alouds, but not based on the Bible.

Secular equivalents to Sonlight, My Fathers World, Winter Promise, etc.

Michelle T

I would LOVE to have purchased an AIO secular version of SL, WP, HOD, MFW. I just can't justify buying something only to not use half of it. Being in Australia it would also be awesome if the resource was available as an ebook so I could buy and have printed here and not have to pay postage which is huge. I can purchase most books here or get with free shipping from Book Dep so really avoid paying postage from the US where possible.

If not an AIO then definately a secular science or geography. I also second a PP about a secular exposure to world religions without a biased either way. That would work excellently in with a geography plan.

Science material for the logic stage.

:iagree:

Something non-science-types can teach, without it being highly teacher-intensive. Preferably following the classical outlines of biology/ earth&space/ chemistry/ physics... but with a 2 or 3-year window of when it could be used. Preferably usable in any order (aka each book stands alone), but having all of the classical divisions. Plenty of hands-on and practicing, without too much writing, and not so many all-out experiments that a non-scientist stand-aside type like myself can still manage.

Something else:

Writing curricula (and other lang. arts, comprehension is a biggie) for the language processing delayed children. Something that starts at basics, breaks it down further and in better bites than anyone else, but isn't babyish so that a 3rd or 4th grader (or older dc) can start from the rock-bottom and still feel comfortable.

Not sure if you could specifically help with this but my dream curriculum would be a Catholic version of Winter Promise/Sonlight. I get so tired of constantly adapting things and being on my guard for anti-Catholic references (that are even prevalent in secular programs). Good luck with your venture. My sister and I have often spoken of attempting such a venture but haven't had the motivation yet to start.

You're making me drool...

(that would be in a good way...we're Eastern Orthodox and a Catholic version would suit us very well!)

Rewrites of some of the really good children's narratives (a la Yesterday's Classics/Lost Classics) that aren't racist or religiously slanted. I really want my kids to read some of these classic books, but I can't deal with the racism and religious bias.

Tara

I'm considering writing some curriculum-many friends with whom I've shared things I've written have said I should sell what I write. It would be fairly simple, nothing complicated, but I'd like to fill a need. I'm just tossing around doing this so far, not totally committed to it yet. What's missing in the homeschool market?

Anything secular! Especially history and science.

A SOTW that is US history only. We loved SOTW 1 & 2 when we were doing world history, but when we wanted to focus on US history, Vol 3 was too scattered for us. I realize that our nation's history is connected to the world, but in the 4th-6th grade, when I want to give my children a solid foundation of our "own" history, it's weird and distracting, for example, to read about the pilgrims and the next day jump over to Japan. US History is so rich within its own borders, that it's a shame not to have an excellent, resource such as SOTW is, especially with the maps and coloring pages devoted just to it.

:)

I'd love this too!

Thanks, Dee. I have no doubt I could write secular, and indeed have written secular LA and history stuff for my own family. There are plenty of devoted Christians that I know that write secular curricula-Amy from Writing Tales comes to mind. Her products are still God-honoring in that they are done with excellence. It sounds like there is a huge market for secular. I'm not sure what direction I would take, if any! Just feeling things out right now.

Edited by HappyGrace

I think many people want a continuation of FLL. Jessie has no plans to go above 4.

That and a secular grammar program similar to Rod and Staff are requests that I see often and something that I may be likely to purchase myself.

I really like the idea of something that continues US history to our time and would be likely to purchase this as well.

All-inclusive LA seems to be a big wish too. Not everyone is happy with what is available. Personally, I don't like separate books. I would love to be able to always "do the next page" and have all of my LA (literature, read alouds, independent reading, practice oral reading, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, writing, poetry) covered.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

ITA with the desire for a good logic-stage science program. My co-op and I have been searching for years for something that follows the WTM cycles (I hope I remember them correctly..I am NOT a scientist!): Biology, Astronomy, Human Body, Chemistry/Physics. This is such a wonderful four-year cycle, but we haven't found anything that puts this together EASILY for the Logic stage. God's Design comes close....but how wonderful it would be to find something that includes co-op plans and at-hand experiments!

Our poor co-op science teachers have been making up our curriculum every year, and it is just so much work for them. We've come up with a 30-week long list of topics for each cycle, and they use stacks of books to pull together age-appropriate experiments and hands-on activities for class time. Couldn't somebody put all that together, along with reading assignments for at-home time, and package it?

Science-minded ladies? Anybody want to take a crack at it? I smell a success!

better science for the younger kids. I like Harcourt 1-2 but it just doesn't go deep enough, and not enough extra activities.

I would also love to see a science that allowed for the possibility of a Creator but that didn't limit it to a literal translation of the creation in 6 days...

Yes A little History of the world would be great. I wouldn't want it to be too heavy on mythology some is fine but I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. I don't really care for a study of pre history so it would be great if it has an option to skip it. If you do the 4 yr history cycles then I would like a good dose of American history in them, but you could just make an American history supplement to go along so those that aren't american can still use the main part. I'm not a stickler for the history cycles, so Sonlight's 2 yrs world 2 yrs American would work as well. I would like American history to show the christian influence that it has upon the nation, but not overly glorifying the people to make them look like saints and could do no wrong. It would also be interesting to see the influence that other religions have had on our nation as well.

Hmmm...

How about...

More Christian based young-earth science curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth history curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth vocabulary curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth spelling curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth math curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth english curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth latin curriculum.

More Christian based young-earth PE curriculum.

:w00t::lol: Sorry...sometimes I cannot resist the absurd! :lol: I am a Christian, AND a young-earth creationist, but even I know we are blessed with lots of choices. :D

Actually, to be honest, I really like the WTM Logic Stage science suggestions! Even if one just took already written books (whether secular, Christian or a smattering of both) and packaged them in a WTM Logic stage package with all the experiments, schedule, etc., (think NOEO) I believe you'd have yourself a hit! ;)

Another thing I would love to see, and it will not be popular in this thread I fear, is a Christian-based, Creationist-based History encyclopedia. Like a Christian Kingfisher! :D Yeah, I know, will probably never happen, but it would be nice to have that option.