Menu

Spy Car...I need rice help!!

Ok, I've read Spy Car's directions for making "perfect" rice but I just can't visualize how he determines the water level. If I put my thumb at the level of the rice, then move my index finger up the the level of the rice, aren't both fingers at the same level?? Am I suppose to add water??

I know...I'm somewhat challenged but I'm a visual kind of gal! :D

Ok, I've read Spy Car's directions for making "perfect" rice but I just can't visualize how he determines the water level. If I put my thumb at the level of the rice, then move my index finger up the the level of the rice, aren't both fingers at the same level?? Am I suppose to add water??

I know...I'm somewhat challenged but I'm a visual kind of gal! :D

:lol:

Index-finger on the bottom of the pot. Thumb at top of rice. Lock Thumb to Index-finger, move (as one unit) Index-finger and locked Thumb to the top of rice. Fill with water to new Thumb level.

If you do a long soak, you may need to compensate with less water. But this method, passed on to me by a beloved Dutch-Indonesian neighbor woman when I was a child, works perfectly with freshly rinsed rice.

Dolly, of blessed memory, would be thrilled to know her method lives on. Could that woman cook!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

And thanks to Dolly too!

My pleasure. Dolly passed years ago, but she treated me like a second son. Patiently teaching me to cook the cuisine of her home-land, and introducing me to all sorts of (then) exotic ingredients.

She had a wonderful deep laugh, and I can hear it now and her saying "Oh Billy." Ah, I'm tearing up.

Bill

I can make amazing cornish hen with raspberry glaze, and any cheesecake in the world, baked to perfection... but rice? ACK! Rice and coffee are the two that always bomb big time.

Tonight I shall try Dolly's trick and my dh will think he's in the wrong house the rice will be so good! Thanks Bill!

• 1 month later...