Menu

Galloping the Globe questions

mamalotsoftots

I just dug my copy of this out last night for my first grader for the rest of the year as a break to what we were doing. Each country has listings of other books that go with the unit and I just use those plus others I find at the library - I have none of the books you referenced, and though they are used throughout the book, I don't think they are really absolutely necessary. If you have a good library (either public or personal) you'll find lots of replacements available except maybe the Heaven's Heroes (our library doesn't stock many missionary stories).

HTH

Janet

I love "Children Just Like Me" and still have our copy. It really is a superb book to go through. If you want stories of Christians and missionaries in the countries you'll study, you will need "Heaven's Heroes" or "Missionary Stories with the Millers." I did not use Considering God's Creation at the time because my children were 7 and 4 1/2 at the time. Otherwise frankly you can just pick-and-choose from your local library if you have a decent one.

If you look at the sample chapter here: http://www.geomatters.com/files/samples/GTG-SampleLesson.pdf, you can see how they weave in some resources like "Children Just Like Me" and the missionary books.

Speaking frankly, Galloping the Globe really didn't provide me though with a lot that I couldn't have gotten from Enchanted Learning and searching the online catalogs of the two libray systems we have access to. There are many, many more children's books on the countries they cover than are listed. I usually checked out as many as I could find both fiction and non-fiction that were age appropriate, and then culled out the best ones. At the time I had a membership on Enchanted Learning that gave me nice maps and flags that were easier to print out than copying from the book too. So it's a resource, but you can go beyond it too.

Thank you for your replies!!!

I am at the end of my book budget & was trying to be budget-minded. lol.

We happen to already have Missionary Stories with the Millers, so I was hoping to not need the other Missionary book.

What is Enchanted Learning? (I'm sorry I'm so new to this.) My oldest is getting ready to be 7 and was excited about Considering God's Creation is this going to be above his head?

Boy am I thankful I found this board!! :D

I agree with GVA. I have GtG and we're loving our around-the-world studies, but there's really nothing in GtG (literature selections, craft ideas, maps, flags) that couldn't be found in the library or through the Internet. It may take a little bit of Googling, but it can be done easily.

I do own Children Like Me; it's a nice reference but certainly not a must-have in my opinion.

I'm in the "doing my own thing" camp. I looked at GtG and a different program but I decided to just do my own thing. I've got a great public library here so I'm in the middle of planning our "Cultural Tour of the World" :D

Honestly for me searching for books and requesting them at the library became a super huge headache! Needless to say we quit using GTG just after we finished studying Asia--however, the notebook that my DD has about Asia is definitely a treasure and she learned SO much and even remembers lots about the countries and where they are...but I much prefer a more structured approach and having all of the books at my disposal at home--if you are willing to do your research at the library or online then you could do without the book--just pick countries you want to learn about and then start digging! GTG was frustrating for me because many of the book suggestions I couldn't get at my library (or we'd get them 3 weeks AFTER we had already studied the country) and then I was left to find books on my own which cost me LOTS of time...

Hi! Is there another suggestion out there to use instead of GTG? Something similar to teach these concepts without having to find separate books? I am also putting together my K-1 plans and need to be budget/space minded and we are overseas without real access to a library. Thanks for any tips you might have.

Thank you so much for all your helpful insight.

Now I have one more question. . .lol. . . Is rainbow resource okay with returns? I was so frustrated by not knowing whether to buy or not to buy. (do I need it or not, translated) I just bought it & figured I'd return it if I got it and couldn't use it. I have 4 kids under six (three of them 3,2,1 ages right now ) I do not have time to be trotting off to the library every other day. HAHA! :D:p (although, I'm sure it'd do us some good)

Sorry to drudge up 'old news' ;)

I just wanted to say THANKS again.