Menu

MFW K Bible and Science?

Tabrett

Would MFW K Bible and Science be to young for a young 2nd grader?

Here is my dilemma.

My 3 little dc are going to be 2 grades apart (example: K, 2, 4). I want to combine as much as possible. I am going to do MFW 1 with my 1st grader this fall. The following year, I will do MFW K with my ds. I don't want to go on to MFW Adventures until my dd is in 3rd grade. My plan is to do FLL, WWE, SL 2 Readers, Spelling by Sound and Structure, RS C Math and SOTW 2 (I'm going to do SOTW 1 along with MFW 1). That leaves Bible and Science open. Could I let my 2nd grader join with my MFW K'er for Bible and Science or would it not be enough? She did not do MFW K this year so it would be all new material.

Yes it could work. I would check out a lot of library books on the science topics for her to read or for you to read to her. The Bible topics are very applicable for a wider age range. When I had a 3rd grader, 2nd grader and Ker we did CTG and K. My older ones often participated in the younger one's science. It was interesting to them.

I don't see a big problem with that plan. Would you do MFW1 with your second child in addition to ADV? I think it might be too much for the 1st grader to jump into ADV without MFW1.

Yes, I would do MFW 1 with my 1st grader. The reason I want to do MFW Adventures 3rd grade is because the books in Adv line up with SOTW 3 better.

So are you going to continue with MFW after 3rd grade or do something else?

I'm not sure about 4th grade. I'm not to interested in ECC. I'm trying to modify MFW into a 4 year history cycle in the early grades. I think doing ECC with SOTW 4 would be too much. I do plan on doing the CtG, RtG, EXP and 1850, starting 5th grade.

If you continue with MFW do you realize that they'll do SOTW in a later program?

Yes. I plan ou using SOTW with the AG for grades 1-4 and MFW's useage of SOTW for 6-8. I know they don't use SOTW 1. I plan on using Stream of Civ as written in CtG and doing SOTW 1 with my younger ones that year. I don't mind reusing the books at different levels.

I'm not sure about 4th grade. I'm not to interested in ECC. I'm trying to modify MFW into a 4 year history cycle in the early grades. I think doing ECC with SOTW 4 would be too much. I do plan on doing the CtG, RtG, EXP and 1850, starting 5th grade.

Well Adventures does go through the Wright Brothers, and SOTW 4 is the least appropriate for the younger kiddos so you could consider ADV and SOTW 3 as completing the cycle.

That would give you time to do ECC and do the second cycle beginning in 5th grade. I don't know the specific reasons why you are not interested in ECC but the second edition looks great. I like the new AIG science book much better than the usborne books in the 1st edition.

I think it would be fine, particularly since it will be all new material. On the MFW boards, they have a lot of extra ideas to go along with each week's science and Bible, if you need to add something in for her. And, as others have said, you can check out library books for your older girl that are more on her level.