Menu

Has anyone used HOD for just one subject?

birchbark

I had my curriculum all set for next year but now I'm unsure about history. I was planning to use Easy Classical's NT, Greece, and Rome schedule; but after looking at the long list of resources needed, and discovering that our library system didn't have most of them, I realized it could get costly. (And perhaps too complicated! I like simple stuff.) Not only that, but after looking through some heavy stuff in the material (violence, paganism), I'm not sure we're quite ready for that.

I am attracted to HOD, and considered doing their entire curriculum, but I like my current choices too much. :) But history is a big question mark that I've vascillated on and I'm wondering how it would work if I just did HOD's history. I am thinking about the American history in BHFHG. We are just completing Sonlight's 1+2 core which gives a broad overview of history, and it might be nice to focus on American history for a year before starting a chronological cycle.

Good idea? Bad idea? Too expensive? The other option I'm considering is good ol' SOTW I. Really like living books though and DS is very visual. I'm open to any other suggestions too.

I could have written that post last night! However I ordered HOD for my 6 yr old (Beyond)so I'll let you know when it arrives!

I read excerpts of the books HOD uses and I was impressed and on that basis I ordered it. I was about to order core 1 but may keep that for later. So many of the HOD books I have or are available in the library that it was a cheaper option. I also want a more fun time than I think I will get with SL and an easier time than with WP.

That said I'm sure I'll go back to them soon and HOD may only be a single yr option for us

Stephanie

I have bought Bigger Hearts next year to use primarily just for history. Like you, I am happy with the things we are using for Math, English, etc..., but if I see something in the guidebook that looks like it would be useful then I'll probably add it in.

I know this isn't very helpful as I haven't "been there, done that," but if you choose to use HOD at least you'll know you're not the only one using it for ALL the subjects.

-Mrs. F

I bought it basically for history. I use my own LA's and math.

I will say that the other stuff in there has wound up being a bonus. We're only on Beyond, but the history reading has been great. It's not so much to be overwhelming...it leaves them wanting more. You might want to purchase the RA's. They are pretty low maintenance also. I do use the science, geo., and Bible most of the time. I make it work for us.

The good thing is that it's in very manageable chunks. I think if you've done Sonlight then your load will be lightened with HOD. Lately I've been doing some spring cleaning and just doing the basics. I plan on playing catch up a bit on the history. I realized that's another great thing about it, I can go through several days of history in one day if I want to and it won't wear me out.

Alison in KY

• 3 weeks later...