Menu

I have lost a friend to suicide.

Ria

Stephen was my first friend - our moms were pregnant together. Since both our families were Navy, we lived near each other and saw each other often all during our childhoods. These days he lived across the country from me, but we'd see him each summer in Maine (our parents still spend part of each summer together).

Evidently he got the flu and fell behind in his work...he had some type of breakdown. After a week in the hospital he was released. His parents were visiting every day, and his wife had taken time off from work. But no one could reach him, and he took his life yesterday. He was 45 and leaves a wife and adult stepson.

I feel so, so sorry for my Uncle and Aunt (that's what we always called them...we are very close). I sent them an email, and will send a card and flowers. I am devastated.

I don't look forward to telling my children. They loved him to pieces, too.

:(

Ria

Stephen was my first friend ... I am devastated.

Of course you are! I'm so very sad for you, Ria, and for his family. There are simply no words that can touch this. And, I'm sorry he was in so much pain. My only peace with circumstances like this is to remember that maybe now the person is not so horribly tormented.

Peace,

Doran

Thank you all. I am okay one minute, and completely undone the next. This is so hard. You know, when I was little, every night my parents would come in and pray with me before bed. My prayers were, "God bless (list of direct relatives), Aunt. S, Uncle S, Stephen....

Oh, God. This is just too hard.

Ria

I am sorry. I have lived through losing 2 beloved family members to depression coupled with premature dismissal from the hospital. If you can, please read Darkness Visible by William Styron. His memoir helped me the tiniest bit to comprehend what their lives were like with this disease. It breaks my heart to see more and more people having to face this. Peace to you and yours .

My youngest brother (24) also committed suicide recently. To help my children understand why terrible things happen and what to do, we read a wonderful book called: And God Cried Too: a kids book of healing and hope. It was written by a Rabbi Marc Gellman after September 11th. The book does not claim any one religion. It was written for everyone. It helped our family immensely.