Menu

Uncle Eric books: Opinions?

My daughter used the WWI book as a reference for a research paper last year. The teacher in our homeschool rhetoric class came back with research refuting most of the quotes my daughter used in her paper. He then provided her with books that disputed the position of the author. In the end my husband and I decided, that we would not let our kids read these books unless balanced with other resources.

HTH,

Leanna

I picked up an Uncle Eric book on World War II at our state homeschool convention this past weekend. Very interesting. Anyone have an opinion on these? I am tempted to read more of them.

I've read the book on the Roman Empire and What Ever Happened to Penny Candy?

The Roman Empire book was summed up a few years ago by another poster as (paraphrased):

Chapter 1- bad

Chapter 2 - bad

chapter 3 - bad

Chapter 4 - bad.....

I agree with the summation. As far as he was concerned, western civilization gained nothing worth while from the Roman Empire. I think anyone who's studied the Roman Empire would have to disagree with his overall opinion. Yes, as in all things, the Roman Empire had problems, but it also had many good things to pass down to us today.

Before I give you my opinion on What Ever Happened to Candy, I'll give you my background. I have an MBA in finance and work experience as a business analyst. I wish I could find a good, solid economics book was presented as cleverly. The presentation is the best thing about the book. Factually, the book is skips most of the basics and is highly slanted with questionable theories. Others have posted that he covers more in his following economic books, but I'm not going to waste anymore money on his books. I'd be willing to use the book we do have to spark discussion AFTER a good, well rounded course in economics. Another frequent poster with a degree in economics wouldn't even use it for that.

My basic opinion is that the author has such an agenda, that I would question any of his facts to support it after reading 2 of his books.

I've read the book on the Roman Empire and What Ever Happened to Penny Candy?

The Roman Empire book was summed up a few years ago by another poster as (paraphrased):

Chapter 1- bad

Chapter 2 - bad

chapter 3 - bad

Chapter 4 - bad.....

I agree with the summation. As far as he was concerned, western civilization gained nothing worth while from the Roman Empire. I think anyone who's studied the Roman Empire would have to disagree with his overall opinion. Yes, as in all things, the Roman Empire had problems, but it also had many good things to pass down to us today.

Before I give you my opinion on What Ever Happened to Candy, I'll give you my background. I have an MBA in finance and work experience as a business analyst. I wish I could find a good, solid economics book was presented as cleverly. The presentation is the best thing about the book. Factually, the book is skips most of the basics and is highly slanted with questionable theories. Others have posted that he covers more in his following economic books, but I'm not going to waste anymore money on his books. I'd be willing to use the book we do have to spark discussion AFTER a good, well rounded course in economics. Another frequent poster with a degree in economics wouldn't even use it for that.

My basic opinion is that the author has such an agenda, that I would question any of his facts to support it after reading 2 of his books.

Concering "Penny Candy," I totally agree with the above poster's comments that the best part is the presentation, and, we, too are not going to waste any more money on his books. We found "Penny Candy" quite boring and "dumbed-down." It has definitely tainted any interest we previously had in the author's other books.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I've read all but the World War books. I enjoyed them very much, and I could see why they would irritate some people, LOL. The author is very up front about his bias and the books are written from a certain perspective, not really meant to be a comprehensive course in economics, but valuable because of their unique view point.

I used them with my older kids, but we also worked through Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics. I think you should read them and form your own judgement. :-)

• 3 months later...

I have always heard them as highly recommended. I guess it depends on world views. I have been told by countless parents that PENNY CANDY is a great economic study.

I have never heard negatives like I am reading here. Bit of a shock.

Someone mentioned T. Sowell... he is a genius! Read all of him that you can! Walter Williams is another.

I was really looking forward to the Maybury books. Every homeschool provider sold the books and they always seemed so highly recommended. I finally bought a couple several years ago. After reading WWI, I sold the other books. WWI was basically an extended opinion piece. Which is fine if you know that's what you are buying. I was disappointed that these *high school level books* were so long on opinion and so short on footnoted facts.

Lisa