Menu

Wondering about switching from TT to MUS.

Hello,

I have some questions about these algebra programs. My son is struggling with TT Algebra. He says he needs more practice to grasp the concepts, they move on and when they come back to it in later lessons he doesn't remember how to do it. Sadly algebra is like greek to me, I didn't even take it in high school. So I was excited about TT being the program for moms who can't do math. He is not even half way through the book and either barely passes or fails the tests, so he is struggling and frustrated.:(My son is not headed for math or science type careers or degrees but I would like him to at least get through algebra.:confused: Anyhow, I thought perhaps he needed a mastery approach vs. sprial but we have never done MUS. Can you jump into MUS at the algebra level? I don't know what to do, I need help!

If your son understands basics of positive and negative numbers, combing like terms, order of operations, and such, then you probably could begin MUS Al 1. I have not actually seen the Al 1 book, but we have done all the others (Alpha to Prealgebra). MUS does have 3 pages of problems on each new concept, plus 3 pages of spiral review. MUS might be a good change from TT since you have never had algebra yourself.

I would recommend you hire a tutor, or find someone who loves Algebra (there are plenty of geeks like me out there!) who will help him for free. I routinely tutor for free, particularly when it requires no preparation on my part, and the student comes to me at my convenience. After all, math-speak is like breathing for me. :)

MUS is okay, but changing curriculum isn't usually the answer. TT Algebra 1 is very straight-forward. Sounds like your student needs more than a curriculum change.

Is this your 15yo son? 10th grade? Students definitely should be able to complete Algebra 1 material before 16yo (probably Algebra II and Geometry as well!). That having been said, he's going to have to work diligently at math, with some help, to catch up and advance his skills.

Have you considered peer tutoring? Maybe you can find another family with high school aged homeschoolers that would meet with you a couple of days per week for the kids to do math together.

You can find a lot of Algebra 1 practice problems online, but you must know what you are looking for. When I've taught subjects I've never studied (like German or Latin), I either learned them (I did a *lot* of Latin, and built off of my years of Spanish experience to just figure it out!) or hired a tutor--or gave up entirely (like we did with German). It's really not too fair to a student to be expected to learn material that is Greek to you--you are his primary teacher. Hire help! You don't have to do everything, but you have to facilitate his learning. Curriculum changes may or may not do that, particularly if you don't sit down and learn it with him.

Remember that Algebra 1 is 8th grade math in most areas of the country. You finished 8th grade, right? So, even if you "never took Algebra" you CAN (and should!) study alongside him to help him figure things out. You probably *did* take Algebra 1 concepts, even if you took Business Math or General Math instead of PreCalculus. Most simple linear equations are introduced in elementary school textbooks nowadays. Help him see that you value the work he's doing by doing it along with him. You have a whole tribe of little ones that you will get to teach math! Now is the time to be better prepared by self-educating the math you never had in school, without a mean teacher hurting your feelings as you ask the hard questions. :)

Seriously, if you do decide to pile in with him and plow ahead in math, you can post any questions with specific problems you have here. One of us "math nerds" is always happy to help. If you are too embarrassed, just PM me. :)

Lori

Is this your 15yo son? 10th grade? Students definitely should be able to complete Algebra 1 material before 16yo (probably Algebra II and Geometry as well!). That having been said, he's going to have to work diligently at math, with some help, to catch up and advance his skills.

He is 15 in 9th grade. My dd is doing the same thing with the same troubles.

Have you considered peer tutoring? Maybe you can find another family with high school aged homeschoolers that would meet with you a couple of days per week for the kids to do math together.
The only other homeschoolers in our area are elementary age. Our town only has 900 people. Living in the middle of nowhere is a pain sometimes.

You can find a lot of Algebra 1 practice problems online, but you must know what you are looking for.
This is the problem. I know they just need more practice with the concepts taught but I don't know how to find them because I don't even know what they are!

When I've taught subjects I've never studied (like German or Latin), I either learned them (I did a *lot* of Latin, and built off of my years of Spanish experience to just figure it out!) or hired a tutor--or gave up entirely (like we did with German).
I was hoping to do this. I thought we could do MUS together. I agree that changing curriculum in not always the answer but I was thinking that since MUS is set up to teach me how to teach the lesson vs. set up to be self taught and has more practice for the new concepts learned plus review it could work better. If I do it too.

Remember that Algebra 1 is 8th grade math in most areas of the country. You finished 8th grade, right? So, even if you "never took Algebra"
I did pre-Algebra, business math, accounting, etc.

you CAN (and should!) study alongside him to help him figure things out. You probably *did* take Algebra 1 concepts, even if you took Business Math or General Math instead of PreCalculus. Most simple linear equations are introduced in elementary school textbooks nowadays. Help him see that you value the work he's doing by doing it along with him. You have a whole tribe of little ones that you will get to teach math! Now is the time to be better prepared by self-educating the math you never had in school, without a mean teacher hurting your feelings as you ask the hard questions. :)

Seriously, if you do decide to pile in with him and plow ahead in math, you can post any questions with specific problems you have here. One of us "math nerds" is always happy to help. If you are too embarrassed, just PM me. :)

Lori

Thank you for the encouragement Lori. This is so hard for me to talk about (admit). We can't even do the "easy" Algebra course. I am trying to chalk my tears up to hormones.:crying:

If your son knows his pre-algebra then he should be okay. We have used both. My dd went all the way with MUS but my son wanted to change so we used TT for Geometry. He had the same problems with TT as your son is having. He's a good student but needs more review so we've gone back to MUS for his geometry class. MUS has a DVD which the mom is supposed to watch and then reteach to the student. Most mom's just watch it with their child. I too am terrible with math so this was a good way for both of us. If you're not sure about your son's pre-algebra skills, MUS has a placement test he could take to help you assess the situation better. It maybe that his pre-algebra skills need to be reviewed. Some people who have switched to MUS buy the level right below what you want to use and use it for review. The child typically does the first exercise sheet and if he does well you have him take the test. If he doesn't do well he goes through all the exercise sheets. A lot of people do this fairly quickly over several months because most is just review. He could do this over the summer and be ready for Alg 1 in the fall.

We have done both and finally changed to Chalkdust. MUS does not have all that much review. Chalkdust is very expensive but you can usually find it online used or resale it yourself. When we did have a problem, we emailed the professor and had our answers within a few hours. I sold the program for 50 dollars less than what I paid for it so to me it was worth the investment.

I didn't mean to through another wrench in your plans.

If you are not familiar with Chalkdust all the lessons are on DVDs and the comes with a step by step solution manual so no matter how bad you are at Algebra you can see where they made their mistake. :001_smile:

It maybe that his pre-algebra skills need to be reviewed. Some people who have switched to MUS buy the level right below what you want to use and use it for review. The child typically does the first exercise sheet and if he does well you have him take the test. If he doesn't do well he goes through all the exercise sheets. A lot of people do this fairly quickly over several months because most is just review. He could do this over the summer and be ready for Alg 1 in the fall.

I have decided this is what we are going to do.:)

We were having this problem and used clickandclimb.com to tutor. the first month was free and that gave us 8 hours of tutoring- that alone was a wonderful help. The tutors are from India so you have to be okay with that. My dd 8th grade was struggling with part of MUS pre-algerbra.

We had switched programs 3 times last year and were still stuck in pre-algebra. It has helped her to get over the hump and she finished up pre-algebra and is now into Algebra I.

I guess that is to say that I agree your child may need a tutor- switching programs may not help.

Kathy

Well, switching from TT to a Mastery program has certainly helped my dd who was having the same issues of no retention. She is using Ace School of Tomorrow Algebra. But I also switched ds to MUS from TT because he does better with mastery too. He is quickly working through the Pre-Alg to start Algebra in the fall. The new editions of MUS not only have plenty of practice for each new concept, there is a LOT of review practice. The Honors pages are now included in the workbook.