Menu

A question(looking for scriptures, resources) about Lucifer's fall from heaven

Rebecca

Does anyone know where I can find all the Scriptures relating to this event. I found the Isaiah passage referring to the fall of the son of the morning, ect. Are there others? Is there one specifically referring to a battle in heaven between the angels? First generation Christian here- knowledge is sketchy.

Thank you,

Rebecca

You can do a keyword search at Biblegateway.com. You can search for passages with the word "fall", "heaven"... whatever. However, if you search for Lucifer you will only find that in the KJV because the modern translations have omitted the name. They replace the name Lucifer with variations of Christ's title of "the bright and morning star" as found in Revelation 22:16. Jesus said that He is the morning star, but all the modern translations muddle the identities of Jesus and Lucifer by translating Lucifer as "daystar", "star of the morning", "morning star", "shining star", "shining morning star". They are in essence usurping Christ's right to that title. No where does the KJV use that terminology for Lucifer.

Yes, but Jesus did say that he saw satan fall from heaven like Lightning.

I understand that the Isaiah passage is an interpretation... that is why I also asked for resources...

I haven't done the Bible gateway search yet.

Before I posted originally- I did search Vine's and my Strong's but thought others might be able to help me...

Rebecca

But this is where they got it:

It has nothing to do with Satan.

Read Isaiah 14. But you have to read the whole chapter, for context. That's where they get it.

Well, as I understand it most prophecy like this has both a more immediate and a more long term interpretation. Were it here alone, there wouldn't be a strong case for it, but with scripture build up (using the other scriptures mentioned) there is a strong theological argument for it, whether or not you actually agree with it. Of course, some churches are strongly against this theology.

This fall is often used by gap theorists--at least some of whom say that the original sin is that of Lucifer (in the epistles it says the devil can disguise himself as the angel of light, and that's who Lucifer is said to have been) and that the one in Genesis is the first sin of mankind.

This info is not from current biblical references, but from Louis Ginzberg's Legends of the Bible, which is a condensation of a larger, seven volume set that he took years to research and compile. In it, he pulls together haggadah (Jewish literary works) that had been set down through the height of the middle ages. These tales had been derived from a long oral history tradition.

"The Extraordinary qualities with which Adam was blessed, physical and spiritual as well, aroused the envy of the angels. They attempted to consume him with fire, and he would have perished, had not the protecting hand of God rested upon him, and established peace between him and the heavenly host. In particular, Satan was jealous of the first man, and his evil thoughts finally led to his fall. After Adam had been endowed with a soul, God invited all the angels to come and pay him reverence and homage. Satan, the greatest of the angels in heaven, with twelve wings, instead of six like all the others, refused to pay heed to the behest of God, saying, "Thou didst create us angels from the splendor of the Shekinah, and now Thou dost command us to cast ouselves down before the creature which Thou didst fashion out of the dust of the ground!" God answered, "Yet this dust of the ground has more wisdom and understanding than thou." Satan demanded a trial of wit with Adam, and God assented thereto, saying: "I have created beasts, birds, and reptiles. I shall have them all come before thee and before Adam. If thou art able to give them names, I shall command Adam to show honor unto thee, and thou shalt rest next to the Shekinah of My glory. But if not, and Adam calls them by the names I have assigned to them, then thou wilt be subject to Adam, and he shall have a place in My garden, and cultivate it." Thus spake God, and He betook Himself to Paradise, Satan following Him. When Adam beheld God, he said to his wife, "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker." Now Satan attempted to assign names to the animals. He failed with the first two that presented themselves, the ox and the cow. God led two others before him, the camel and the donkey, with the same result. Then God turned to Adam, and questioned him regarding the names of the same animals, framing His questions in such wise that the first letter of the first word was the same as the first letter of the name of the animal standing before him. Thus Adam divined the proper name, and Satan was forced to acknowledge the superiority of the first man. Nevertheless he broke out in wild outcries that reached the heavens, and he refused to do homage unto Adam as he had been bidden. The host of angels led by him did likewise, in spite of the urgent representations of Michael, who was the first to prostrate himself before Adam in order to show a good example to the other angels. Michael addressed Satan: "Give adoration to the image of God! But if thou doest it not, then the Lord God will break out in wrath against thee." Satan replied: "If He breaks out in wrath against me, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will be like the Most High!" At once God flung Satan and his host out of heaven, down to the earth, and from that moment dates the enmity between Satan and man."

Regena

Eliana said:

"Angels don't have free will, they can't 'rebel' against G-d they are expressions of an intention of G-d's... so, in that sense HaSatan is the aspect of G-d which prosecutes us for our wrongdoings."

As a Reformed Christian, we believe that God created Satan to do what he needed Satan to do. He is not quite part of God in the sense that Eliana's quote seems to indicate, or an aspect of God. But since God created him, and marked out his path and his destiny, God is therefore sovereign over everything Satan does. We do not believe anyone can rebel against God either because we believe that God is sovereign over everything. If someone did rebel against God it would be because God made him that way.

• 1 month later...
Guest Danman
Is there one specifically referring to a battle in heaven between the angels?

From Revelation 7:7-12

7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war, 8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. 10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying,

“Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night. 11 “And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death. 12 “For this reason, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them. Woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time.â€

Hope you find that interesting.