Menu

Help for my dyslexia dd

caryn

Hi,

My dd have not done any formal evaluation whether she is dyslexia but I suspect that she is. She is 8 and is having problem reading. She can read three letter words quite well . I have worked with her using Phonics and spelling for reading by Dettmer. She has faithfully learn all the phonograms but have difficulty reading or putting them to work in words. We have so much problem with multisyllable words. Even though I tried to break it up for her, she has difficulty sounding out the words which she has known before. Sometimes when we read she can read a particular word easily but when we come to a different sentence with the same word she forgot how to pronounce it. I get so discouraged and wondered if there is anything I should be doing to help her more or am I going about the wrong way ? I have 2 older kids that are reading and even a ds age5 is moving on better than her in sounding out words. I used to think that maybe she just need time but I realised that this was not the case. Can anyone who has gone through this help me how to help my dd? What should I be doing with her? Do I really need to get an evaluation done for her? Is it really necessary? I already knows she had reading problems. I just needed guidance on what to do, what special curriculum to use, how to use it and etc. Please advise.

Thank you

What I would suggest doing first is getting the book Reading Reflex by McGuinness. Your libary probably has this book. Otherwise it is widely available in bookstores for about $20, and sometimes you can find it remaindered online for $5 to $10. Read the first three chapters, and then give your dd the assessments in the book. These will assess her ability to segment, blend, and manipulate phonemes in addition to assessing code knowledge. When you are finished, post the results here.

Children have different underlying problems that interfere with learning to read. My dd had a combination of severely delayed phonemic awareness skills and severe visual efficiency deficits that were undiagnosed by her opthalmologist. We needed to remediate both areas of deficit before she could read fluently. However, other children may have an auditory processing disorder or sensory integration disorder interfering with reading.

Before taking a child in for evaluation, it's important to understand what kinds of tests different professionals give and what kinds of information you can expect from them.

Does your dd have any other problems besides difficulty with reading? These would be things such as balance (difficulty learning to ride a bike), rhythm (can't clap hands in time to music), auditory memory (ability to remember multi-step oral directions such as go upstairs, open your closet, and bring down your red dress), difficulties with math, etc.

Good for you for recognizing that there is a problem. Your daughter will need specific strategies to help her learn to read.

There is a free online publication that you can also order for free called Put Reading First. That will give you the important components of an excellent reading program. Kids with reading problems need all of these components. URL="http://www.nifl.gov/partnershipforreading/publications/reading_first1.html"

The book Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz is a very readable compilation of the latest research in identifying and remediating dyslexia. It is available in paperback for less than $20. It contains specific strategies.

There are two streams of effective remediation: the Reading Reflex/Abcdarian/REWARDS family and the Orton Gillingham family of interventions, which would include Barton and Wilson.

An experienced reading tutor can be a real help. You can have that person train you in methods for teaching a child with reading problems. That way, you can have the benefit of their experience. (If you can afford it, hire the tutor a couple times a week. If you can't, pay for a few sessions where you watch, and pay for periodic consultation.)

Thank you Claire for suggesting Reading Reflex. I just put an hold on it in my library. Also thank you, Laurie4B for your suggestions too. I have been reseaching and I have stumble upon Barton Reading and Spelling Systems. I have heard their webcast and finally realised that my dd do have quite a few of the classic warnings of dyslexia. I am quite interested in their product. Have anyone used this program before and can you please give me some feedback? It is very expensive ,so I want to make sure that I know exactly what is all about.

Anyone who had used Barton Reading system,please respond the pro and cons of this system.

Thank you again so much for all those who has responded to me.

Caryn

I haven't used Barton but have read quite a few posts from users. It is an excellent Orton-Gillingham approach (sight-to-sound) and is better than most OG programs because it starts out with explicitly teaching phonemic awareness skills. Susan Barton is said to be very helpful. The downsides I have heard about are (1) cost, and (2) the teaching DVDs (that you watch so you know how to apply the method) move very slowly and are boring. They say that Susan speaks verryy sloowwlllyy.

My recommendation would be to try Reading Reflex or ABeCeDarian first because they are so much less expensive, plus they tend to remediate reading faster than OG methods (because OG methods teach spelling simultaneously with reading). These are sound-to-sight methodologies. If you go with Reading Reflex, I would highly recommend that you buy Rod's workbook and use that once you get to the advanced code stage. It would make teaching advanced code and multi-syllable word much easier.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I just got finished with the testing for my ds who is getting very close to eight. He had problems very similar to what you describe. My son has significant delays in decoding, encoding and automaticity. We have begun using reading reflex just in the last two weeks. He likes it because he thinks it is fun. They are bit game like and after a year of work or as he likes to put it "torture" this is helping. Our eye doctor has also gotten me some stuff to work on automaticity. I am using some of it. I did use the tests in RR just so I could see it for myself. We are finding a bit of progress now but I don't think that truly it will be great until we have more automaticity going for him. It is hard to read when you have to stop and think what each sound is.