Menu

Do you (or will you) read all the books that your children are required to read

Bee

Most of the books my dc have read I have already read. If I hear about a book that I've never read here, or in a place that I totally trust (Honey for a Child's Heart, Ambleside Online, other wholesome websites), then I won't read it, unless the child wants to have an in depth discussion with me and I need to know the content. If it is a book I think might be questionable, I will read it first.

I am more than willing to read any book that a child wants to have an intelligent discussion about. This is part of the reason why I love homeschooling!

• 2 months later...

That is my goal. Books are no different than any other form of media. You are allowing someone to speak directly to your child, you should definitely know what and how they are going to say it. I was allowed free reign with reading as a child, and I read many "children" books that not only did not help to build my character but led me to covet and desire sinful things. So... as a Christian parent responsible for my children we have decided to preview all books as a way of protecting our children, and being prepared to discuss various views if we decide that our child is mature enough and it would be helpful.