Menu

How's this for irony? Pregnancy update if you're interested

As you may or may not know, I have been so incredibly exhausted with this pregnancy - as in, could go to bed at 10pm, sleep until 11am and still take 2-3 naps exhausted. There was no reason medically (or so the Dr. said) for this. However, at my last appointment, probably because she was "tired" (HA!) of me complaining about it, she suggested I take some iron supplements "just in case" (even though my iron levels were normal).

I've been taking them for 3 weeks now. I have no idea if it has to do with that (if I was supposed to feel immediate results, than it has nothing to do with the iron) or what, but now, for the last week or so, I have so much energy it's crazy! Last night, I didn't go to bed until 3:30! Talk about a swing in the opposite direction, LOL!

I don't know what's going on, that now I'm so awake and wanting to do lots of stuff. I still have 11 weeks to go, so it would be kinda early for the nesting instinct, don't you think?

Anyway, I think it's funny. Thought I would share with all of you wonderful people who have put up with my complaints for so many months. Thanks for enduring with me!

I've kinda reached a point of more energy myself. Though I've not made any other adjustments. I just had a nice day of REAL REST Sunday :)

I have, in previous pregnancies, had more than one run of 'nesting' though. So, I'll go with that LOL

We're pretty close in dates, it appears.

Anyway...whatever it is..be thankful for the energy eh? :)

As you may or may not know, I have been so incredibly exhausted with this pregnancy - as in, could go to bed at 10pm, sleep until 11am and still take 2-3 naps exhausted. There was no reason medically (or so the Dr. said) for this. However, at my last appointment, probably because she was "tired" (HA!) of me complaining about it, she suggested I take some iron supplements "just in case" (even though my iron levels were normal).

I've been taking them for 3 weeks now. I have no idea if it has to do with that (if I was supposed to feel immediate results, than it has nothing to do with the iron) or what, but now, for the last week or so, I have so much energy it's crazy! Last night, I didn't go to bed until 3:30! Talk about a swing in the opposite direction, LOL!

I don't know what's going on, that now I'm so awake and wanting to do lots of stuff. I still have 11 weeks to go, so it would be kinda early for the nesting instinct, don't you think?

Anyway, I think it's funny. Thought I would share with all of you wonderful people who have put up with my complaints for so many months. Thanks for enduring with me!

Are you who was worried about PPD? (Yes, right? I'm not imagining this... surely!)

Be careful. You might not be ready to nest, but your body might be sending other signals. I'd be watchful for preterm labor. I'd also be watchful for hypomania.

I'm THRILLED that you've got more energy, don't get me wrong. But the red flags are "needing less sleep" and a sudden "swing" in the opposite direction.

I have a theory that PPD and bipolar illness may be related somehow. No evidence, just a hunch. But please keep taking your essential fatty acids. (And so much the more as you see the day approaching. ;) )

Whether your brain says you need to rest, remember that your *body* still needs you to rest while you are finishing up the cooking of this little munchkin.

{{{Janna}}}

FWIW, I've experienced the same as you after starting an iron supplement. It's almost instantaneous for me. I take a high quality iron supplement whenever I feel run down or extra tired and that usually helps me- even though my blood work may show that my levels are within the "normal" range. Everyone is different and I believe pregnancy is one of those times when I just need a bit of extra iron to help me through some days.

Pam, can you link me to some articles about this?

Yes, I am worried about having PPD. I had it mildly with my first born and much more severely with my 2nd. However, there were outside circumstances adding to the stress of just having delivered that may have (probably?) contributed greatly to the extent in which I had it. However, just in case it didn't, I want to be prepared. It was a dark, ugly time that 2nd go-round and I would like to do anything and everything I can to prevent it again. However, from what I see about the PPD and bipolar, is that if you already have bi-polar you're more likely to have PPD. I know I am not bi-polar. I have no reason to suspect that I do. I'm usually very even-keeled. Only my mother and my dh know which buttons to push, LOL. I do have some hormone-related attacks at certain times of the month, but I know it's hormones - as a woman, I know I'm not alone in this (not to mention it subsides with the onset of my period).

In regards to the pre-term labor, I'm interested in links to that as well. I can't find anything that talks about energy spurts and pre-term labor. But this interests me because, and I was just telling a friend this yesterday, that I have had increasingly painful Braxton-Hicks. Like where it radiates down my thighs and puts pressure on my pelvic area. While they obviously aren't frequent enough to be concerned, last night I had 3 of those in 5 minutes. My Dr. appt is tomorrow, and I plan on telling her this. I have no history of pre-term labor and I've been eating right and exercising, so it would be odd to me if this happened. But since I was just talking about this yesterday and then you mentioned a possible correlation with energy bursts, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks!

Pam, can you link me to some articles about this?

Yes, I am worried about having PPD. I had it mildly with my first born and much more severely with my 2nd. However, there were outside circumstances adding to the stress of just having delivered that may have (probably?) contributed greatly to the extent in which I had it. However, just in case it didn't, I want to be prepared. It was a dark, ugly time that 2nd go-round and I would like to do anything and everything I can to prevent it again. However, from what I see about the PPD and bipolar, is that if you already have bi-polar you're more likely to have PPD. I know I am not bi-polar. I have no reason to suspect that I do. I'm usually very even-keeled. Only my mother and my dh know which buttons to push, LOL. I do have some hormone-related attacks at certain times of the month, but I know it's hormones - as a woman, I know I'm not alone in this (not to mention it subsides with the onset of my period).

In regards to the pre-term labor, I'm interested in links to that as well. I can't find anything that talks about energy spurts and pre-term labor. But this interests me because, and I was just telling a friend this yesterday, that I have had increasingly painful Braxton-Hicks. Like where it radiates down my thighs and puts pressure on my pelvic area. While they obviously aren't frequent enough to be concerned, last night I had 3 of those in 5 minutes. My Dr. appt is tomorrow, and I plan on telling her this. I have no history of pre-term labor and I've been eating right and exercising, so it would be odd to me if this happened. But since I was just talking about this yesterday and then you mentioned a possible correlation with energy bursts, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks!

Oh, golly, Janna, this is all just me speculating and worrying and tut-tutting over you. I don't have articles to point to, just picking up on your history and your needing less sleep and how quickly you have energy. Google "hypomania" and just be sensitive if you find yourself exhibiting signs, is all. The correlation is enough to make one watchful.

As for the energy bursts, I had preterm labor three times, and with all three, the energy levels just broke free before the contractions and pressure on my cervix started up. That's totally anecdotal. I only mentioned it so you would watch and listen to your body. It's pretty well documented that something in the brain throws a switch just before the body goes into labor, and often the woman does start the stereotypical nesting and cleaning and, well, for me with #2, hanging wallpaper in the space over the bathtub while pregnant out to THERE. (Stupid, stupid woman I was.)

No articles. Just be careful.

Aww...you're tut-tutting over me? You're so sweet. Thank you. Sincerely.

I will mention my energy bursts to my Dr. tomorrow. I suppose I should mentally get prepared for a cervical check just in case, huh? Ack! (LOL)

Oh, and yes, I am continuing the EPA/DHA's. I will be upping the amount next month (April. In my mind, we're already in March, LOL) though.

I went through a nesting phase long before it was time :) I wanted stuff to be ready for when it was time and it's still not time :D

Now that I'm into the 8th month, I am so tired all the time..

My dr did give me a prescription to help me sleep at night but it does make me tired during day too(sometimes).

I still have some things to do before baby comes but it will get done soon..

I have never really had contractions before going into labor except in my back, so if I'm having them now I am clueless about them.. Although sometimes I do get pains in my lower stomach which I seem to think are Braxton Hicks but they don't last long..

Anyway.. I am glad you are feeling better, but don't over do it :) Take care of yourself :D

Wait. What exactly are you toasting with? Please don't let it be anything "safe" for pregnancy. This is virtual and I miss certain adult beverages. So what is it? huh? Huh? Ahem, sorry (clearing my throat and looking down, kicking the floor nervously) of course club soda is fine. :)

No, you can't have the energy back. Besides, I saw that Judo picture. You've got energy (unless the Sensei knocked it out of you when he threw you). :)

You all feeling better and back to "normal" now?

I would be careful about agreeing to a cervical check. I am not sure what good it will do and it could do some harm (such as infection.) There isn't any good research to recommend doing them. Ask lots of questions, i.e.

1. Why are you doing this?

2. What will this tell you? Will this tell you when I will go into labor?

3. What will you do with this information? How will this impact your recommendations?

4. What are the risks of doing this?

5. What are the risks of not doing this?

6. Is there something else we can do instead?

Thank you. I meant to respond to you on the earlier thread about the Bradley questions I had too. You had really helpful advice and good book suggestions. I put some of them on hold, but I was 6th in the que, so it will be awhile. I wish I lived near you!

I don't know that she even will want a cervical check. I'm just thinking she might, but hoping she doesn't, kwim?

Thanks again for your help and thoughtful questions!

I had MONSTER energy in the middle of both my pregnancies. With my first, it started at 14 weeks and kept me going all through the rest of that pregnancy. I have vivid memories of little old ladies asking me how I was feeling in my last month, and their total discomfiture when I'd say, "Great!!! I have so much energy--I'm not tired at all!" Like I was pulling their leg or something :D Unfortunately, with my second pregnancy, the energy blast didn't start until I was about 26 weeks, and only lasted until about 32 weeks, then I was back to dragging my behind around :rolleyes: I say enjoy it while it lasts, LOL!

...well, for me with #2, hanging wallpaper in the space over the bathtub while pregnant out to THERE. (Stupid, stupid woman I was.)

LOL! I had this huge to-do list that I was working my way down when I was PG with #1, knowing that they were all things I'd probably never do again after the baby came (and I was right). When I was about 34 weeks, DH came home around 10 p.m. one night to discover me trying to find a comfortable way to lay flat on the hardwood floor of our bedroom so I could methodically wet-mop the dust out from underneath our bed :eek: A less tolerant man probably would have hauled me me up off the floor and ushered me to the couch, but he just rolled his eyes, sighed, and went about his business :D

What's that ;)?

I'm still tired, but I think we've been hit with another virus-y thing. It's supposed to maybe hit the low 60s on Saturday, so I'm looking forward to days when I can open the windows and air this house out. I've been cleaning like a madwoman, but I think my kids lick things when I'm not looking when we're away from home :eek:.