Menu

Learning readiness: patterns in nature and the role of analogies?

My fault, I only mentioned I was not attempting "formal" academics. We are working on his deficits in a very gentle manner. I have done my homework, read as much as I can find, and spoken with special ed teacher-friends of mine. The label only enables him to go to the ps and get free classes for kids like him. I am doing what one does with these children, lots of activities that target the deficit. We work with patterning, quantities and number value...LOTS of repetition, so variety is a HUGE factor, we have 20-30 different activities (game like) that target quantities of 4 and above. I need to make them enjoyable because math anxiety is the real bugaboo for kids with dyscalc. That alone could shut doors on progress. There is no silver bullet here.

The "experts" don't even agree as to what dyscalculia is.

The studies are in their infancy. This site is only one of many like it:

http://www.oecd.org/document/8/0,3343,en_2649_35845581_34495560_1_1_1_1,00.html

Just to be fair, maybe you are right...I may test him some time in the near future. I would just like to believe that somehow that would make a big difference.

I just don't believe that is the case. I tend to think of T. Edison who was ejected from school because he was "addled". They labeled and leveled all the fault at him but it was his mother who made the difference in his life (his quote). I wonder what

his mother would do today?

I do appreciate your concern,

Geo

Edited by Geo