Menu

Looking for input- more about natural science studies

Trivium Academy

I love the books at Yesterday's Classics and this is what I'm thinking and I wonder if anyone has done this. A quarter for us is 10 weeks although this would just be a sequence for us to follow, we homeschool year round so if we go over, it's not a big deal.

Kindergarten: Galloping the Globe

Year 1 (4 Quarters)

with this focus with each book

- learn about the individual animals in the story with other books

- Nature Study focus with The Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock

- provide (early) readers for child to read on their own

- experiment/project related to subject with "Fun with Nature" or other book

1st Quarter: Among the Forest People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

2nd Quarter: Among the Pond People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

3rd Quarter: Among the Meadow People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

4th Quarter: Among the Night People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

Year 2 (4 Quarters)

1-2: Burgess Bird Book for Children or Citizen Bird

3-4: Burgess Animal Book for Children

Year 3

1: The Stories Mother Nature Told Her Children by Jane Andrews

2: Farm Life (Maple Hill Farm books?)

3-4: The Fairy-land of Science by Arabella Buckley (physical)

Year 4

1-4: The Storybook of Science by Jean Fabre (weather, animal life, earth science, physics)

Year 5

1: Madam How and Lady Why by Charles Kingsley

2: Great Inventors and Their Inventions by Frank P. Bachman

Year 6

1: Children of Summer: Henri Fabre's Insects by Margaret J. Anderson

2: The Wonder Book of Chemistry by Fabre?

3:

4:

And then I don't know! We might use Prentice Hall Science Explorer books (or some other academic type books) as a back-up spine from 5th grade to 8th grade, just as a required read but our main program would be what I've outlined above. We'll also be covering science within history's timeline, the thought is to read biographies and learn about science technology and advancements through history. We use Tapestry of Grace for history and it includes science history so we'd cover space when we do in history or whenever the kids want to otherwise.

The kids will also be involved with 4-H or any other programs/competitions they want to participate in. I prefer them to be involved in some type of community program like Junior Rangers, Girl/Boy Scouts, etc.

We'd have a separate Geography sequence which would cover a lot of earth science:

Galloping the Globe

Home Geography by C.C. Long

A Child's World of Geography by Hillyer (old version, we already have)

Geography within history of course

I'm also looking at the titles at Old Fashioned Education as well.

yes, I just print from mainlesson if I can't find a bound one used. We've used several of the ones you've listed. If you want to combine a "traditional" science approach with the literary--it's easily done. Do one day of literary readings and another day of "output processing", meaning whatever form of narration you require other than simple oral--notebooking, illustrating, diagramming, activities/experments, etc. for instance, if you use the bird book, read a couple of chapters on day one. Day two--look up that bird in a field guide and do a page(illustrated or paragraph), skim over the info on feathers/flight/camouflauge/whatever has been discussed in the pervious days readings in a textbook,teacher reference stuff from Handbook of Nature Study, online info, or any factual book. Or, maybe get out your experiment book out and do something having to do with lift or flight. If you do not require written work--maybe look at photographs or study birds by biome and look at maps. Or pretend you are a bird and build a nest out of yard materials. We've done all sorts of different things depending on ages, weather, energy. These days are not part of out nature study days--usually--unless ther activity is observing/charting something outside or the like. Have fun and experiment and find your groove. your children are young enough that everything is new and fresh, so if it takes YOU awhile to figure out what you like--it will be fine! hth

I don't know Jessica. It is so planned and so structured. For us, investigating a sparked interest through an observation is an educational goal. I want my kids to learn to be observant. Finding something that launches into questions and digging for answers is a rewarding experience. So much guided planning removes that self-investigational/observe and question obligation.

I guess it is sort of like the "play" article pposted on the general board yesterday. I can buy toys that entertain my children or I can buy toys that my children employ their imagination to entertain themselves. Some directed nature study is beneficial. But some self-piqued interest that is rewarded with answers has great merit as well. Bunny trails often are more educational than the path upon which the adventure started. :)

What is your goal for your natural science studies? Would you still be doing other science as well?

I think you can use Handbook of Nature Studies through all those years as a source for a focal point for nature studies/walks and for appropriate information.

We used the Among the... books as readers this year. (for my second grader)

I highly recommend the thin volumes of Thornton Burgess: Chatterer the Red Squirrel, etc. as a prelude to the Burgess Bird Book and Animal Book. We also used these as readers this year (2nd grade) but I am hoping to read them aloud to my younger children.

I am not familiar with the upper level books.

This probably doesn't help- but it is a little feedback.

Another option is to use the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers as a springboard for other learning... taking each chapter and enriching it with an appropriate read aloud for more information.

Rebecca

I have to have structure, I have to know I'm doing my job as a teacher. I understand the development of observation but let me see if I can share the picture I have in my head accurately...

We read together from a literary source (like the books I have listed), taking turns reading-aloud, do narrations and discussion about what else we want to learn about. I'll have other books in the "science" basket ready for them to explore more about the topics we read about. The nature study part can be as simple or as complex as they want it to be. "Go outside and observe squirrels. Write down your observations." And then we'd finish the week with a project/experiment.

For when they are older, I'm thinking there would be a 'presentation' or report of some kind about the weekly and quarterly topic.

I cannot let go of all structure. Letting go of a more academic book approach is hard enough, lol! I'll think about it some more but I would LOVE to see what someone else has done with this type of approach and how it's worked out in the long run. I have a friend who has done something similar and not that I care about standardized testing but her oldest son (12) was tested, he was considered ready for college level material. All she has them do is read the ABeka science books and everything else is nature study, weekly reports and competitions.

I want to take the "school" part out of it as much as I can within my comfort level.

Did that make sense?

:) Jessica

Have you looked at :

Parables from Nature

James Herriot books

the Holling C. Holling books

We have enjoyed these and they're not on your list.

Some feedback on what is on your list.

I like the Among the .... as readers or read alouds, but I think they work best slowly, like one chapter per week. It is good to read them then reflect. I think that would also apply to most of the books in this category.

The Maple Hill Farm books are great - my dd7 highly recommends them, but they are perfect for my dd3.

When I brought my ds home from ps in 6th grade, we didn't do any formal science. We read living books, and he ignored any request to do any science experiments. He watched science shows. He has tested well and did great in his cc science classes and felt well-prepared.

I think you are going to find quite a bit of repetition using all three of these:

Fairy Land of Science

Story Book of Science

Madam How and Lady Why

If you like his work, Fabre has a whole series. I think he is a great writer, but I would add in some more current info or be prepared to discuss as you read - some of the information is outdated.

Are you planning to keep the children together or run two programs at once?

Do you know where I could see what grade level all the Fabre books would be? Some are heavier than others but he says "elementary". The other books we read will have more updated information which I thought would be a great conversation starter.

I have never seen grade levels listed on them. I can give you my opinion based on the books I have - just keep in mind that I'm pulling it completely out of thin air!

I think any of the books that include Uncle Paul are elementary (1st - 4th maybe) I believe that includes all of the books currently on mainlesson.com

I also think anything with the word story in it is elementary level. I have The Story Book of the Fields that does not have Uncle Paul, but seems to be at the same level all the same.

This Earth of Ours seems to move up a level. I would place it at about the level of Madam How and Lady Why (perhaps 5th-6th.)

The Heavens and Wonder Book of Plant Life are a level about This Earth of Ours. The depth and vocabulary are much more difficult in these two books (7th - 8th maybe.)

I believe all of the insect books are considered adult or at least 7th+

I do have a great book that draws from his famous Book of Insects. I read it last year to dd10 and dd8. The level of the writing is advanced and full of detail, but the readings are short - only two or three pages per insect. From the outside it looks like a young child's picture book. The drawings inside are very good as well. It was one of our favorite books of the year.

Insects - Jean Henri Fabre

Edited by David Black

Illustrated by Stephen Lee

Publisher - Charles Scribner's Sons

I just had a thought. When your kids are older they can read Fabre in French. That is awesome! In fact, I would probably already be looking for some of the elementary level books in French. :D

Jessica,

Have you read 'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell? I learned a great deal about self-directed nature study as a child from him. Durrell was left to roam the island of Corfu and discovered so much by hours alone observing and supportive parents. As I recall he did no writing, just a lot of collecting.

'Uncle Tunsten' by Oliver Sachs is another inspiring read. Professor Sachs learned so much more about chemistry through conversations with his mother and his uncle than at school. He is now a very famous and wonderful neurologist who has written many amazing books about some very special people.

I love to read biographies and autobiographies. They can teach us so much about what people valued in their childhoods and what works.

Jessica,

Have you read 'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell?

YOu have totally piqued my interest in this book......and not for the reason you think!! It is an unusual name. It was also my grandmother's maiden name. So, I went and read a bio on him online and he and my grandmother grew up in the same location.

Now I wish I knew where my geneology stuff was. :( But it is packed somewhere in one of a zillion unpacked boxes in the attic.

Either way, I am going to get some of his books just to read anyway!

Lol, I hadn't even THOUGHT of them reading them in French. Do you think reading 4-5 books that have Uncle Paul in them might get tiresome? Part of me says no b/c of the wonderful details. Also, can you list for me all the Fabre books you know of? I hadn't heard of the Fields book.

Thank you SO much Melissa! Is there any other gems you've found?

Jessica

Do you think reading 4-5 books that have Uncle Paul in them might get tiresome? Part of me says no b/c of the wonderful details. Also, can you list for me all the Fabre books you know of?

I don't think reading several of the books with Uncle Paul would be a problem. He is a small part of the story. The information is quite different each time. (Although you will find that some of the same chapters appear in different books - word for word. But not often and I haven't noticed it in the elementary series.)

Here are the books known to me. There are others (and probably some that have not been translated from French.)

Some of these could be different translations of the same book. I can't really tell without seeing them. Baldwin Project has one coming out called Insect Adventures. I have never seen a reference to that particular book.

The Story Book of Science

The Secret of Everyday Things

The Wonder Book of Chemistry

The Story Book of Birds and Beasts

The Story Book of the Fields

Animal Life in Field and Garden

Field Forest and Farm

Our Humble Helpers

The Heavens

Wonder Book of Plant Life

Social Life in the Insect World

The Wonders of Instinct

The Life of the Spider

The Life of the Grasshopper

The Sacred Beetle

The Hunting Wasps

The Life of the Fly

The Life of the Caterpillar

The Mason Bees

Bramblebees and Others

The Glow-worm and other Beetles

The Mason Wasps

Fabre's Book of Insects

others adaptations

Insects

Children of Summer

The Passionate Observer

I also like William J. Long for the elementary years. Several of his books are on The Baldwin Project and will likely be available from Yesterday's Classics. The only two I have that are not listed are Fowl of the Air and Wood Folk at School. I really like Yesterday's Classics as well, but you will be missing a bit without all of the illustrations from the older editions. I don't know whether the Yesterday's Classics version has the little drawings on each page.

You will not be missing anything with a newer reprint of the Fabre books. They have very few drawings which seem to be included in the newer reprints. Some versions of Fabre's Book of Insects and the Insect book I mentioned in the last post have nice illustrations, otherwise his books are primarily text.

We like the Burgess books and Pierson books as well. I will scan the bookshelves tonight and see if we have found any less known works that we really liked. If I come across something, I'll let you know!

The Story Book of Science

The Secret of Everyday Things

The Wonder Book of Chemistry

The Story Book of Birds and Beasts

The Story Book of the Fields

Animal Life in Field and Garden

Field Forest and Farm

Our Humble Helpers

The Heavens

Wonder Book of Plant Life

Social Life in the Insect World

The Wonders of Instinct

The Life of the Spider

The Life of the Grasshopper

The Sacred Beetle

The Hunting Wasps

The Life of the Fly

The Life of the Caterpillar

The Mason Bees

Bramblebees and Others

The Glow-worm and other Beetles

The Mason Wasps

Fabre's Book of Insects

others adaptations

Insects

Children of Summer

The Passionate Observer

I also like William J. Long and Pierson books

Now to look at each of them and determine which ones to use and when, phew! Dd7 wants me to read aloud Mother West Wind's Children after we finish Herriot's Treasury. I think this is going to be one of those "best things I ever did" type of change. I really appreciate your help, more than I can say! I've seen the Fabre books that look like the same thing.

The ones available through Queen Homeschool, how are they formatted? Other books I've received from them are big 8.5 x 11 with larger than necessary type. I'm wondering if the Fabre books they have there are like that or not.

I hate to ask but since you're more familiar than I am, do you mind putting the age or grade range on the books you know about?

Age ranges: Here is my best attempt -

Books I own:

The Story Book of Science (6-10)

The Story Book of the Fields (6-10)

This Earth of Ours (10-12)

The Heavens (12+)

Wonder Book of Plant Life (12+)

The Wonders of Instinct (12+)

The Life of the Spider (12+)

The Life of the Fly (12+)

The Life of the Caterpillar (12+)

The Mason Bees (12+)

The Glow-worm and other Beetles (12+)

Fabre's Book of Insects (12+)

others adaptations

Insects (8+)

The Passionate Observer (10+) this is more of a biography, I would question the interest of a child under 10

Best guess on books I do not own:

The Secret of Everyday Things (6-10)

The Wonder Book of Chemistry (6-10)

The Story Book of Birds and Beasts (6-10)

Animal Life in Field and Garden (6-10?)

Field Forest and Farm (6-10?)

Our Humble Helpers (6-10?)

Social Life in the Insect World (12+)

The Life of the Grasshopper (12+)

The Sacred Beetle (12+)

The Hunting Wasps (12+)

Bramblebees and Others (12+)

The Mason Wasps (12+)

Children of Summer (6-12?) I've never seen this book so I really don't know.

I would say all of William Long's books are ages 6-12 and Pierson's even younger, 5-8 maybe.

Sorry I didn't finish my last post.

I have never seen any of the Queen Homeschool printings, so I couldn't say. They are rather expensive. I would expect a good quality reprint at that price.:) They do have two Fabre books I do not own. But, I'm not fond of oversized books. The Yesterday's Classics are about as large as I like to go. I am glad to see his books being reprinted!!

With the exception of Story Book of Science, Insects, and The Passionate Observer all of my Jean H. Fabre and William J. Long books are the very old editions from the late 1890's to the mid-1930's. I have to find them at library sales, Abe Books, Alibris, or E-bay. I am not actually an antique book collector, so the amount I am willing to spend per book is rather low - around the $5.00 range. I pick them up one at a time as I see them. The are all reader's copies at best. Now that my kids are getting to the age where they can read them independently, I will probably be a book collector's worst nightmare and start duct taping them together so they can be carried around by the kids without completely falling apart. I prefer the type setting and illustrations of the older printings, but the durability is lacking!

by Margaret Morley

- Seed-babies

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=_60XAAAAIAAJ&dq=seed+babies&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=Un3G4q43RP&sig=CPrDr85GGW1mR7veyiYRXjMcsAk#PPA7,M1

- A Few Familiar Flowers

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=MbsXAAAAIAAJ&dq=a+few+familiar+flowers+by+morley&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=fAF2OB8S91&sig=XYtsDivNN-UrOfgqqP_nwkcC_ts

these seem to be perfect for introduction to plants, told in story form with terminology, you can see them at google books

---------------------------------------

by Howard Garis

Daddy Takes us to the Garden

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14859/14859-h/14859-h.htm

---------------------------

Little Busybodies

The Life of Crickets, Ants, Bees, Beetles, and Other Busybodies

Author: Jeanette Augustus Marks and Julia Moody

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/9/4/21948/21948-8.txt

-----------------------------

Chambers Elementary Science Readers

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18217/18217-h/18217-h.htm#THE_CAT_Page_7

http://www.lloydlibrary.org/exhibits/child%20lit%20exhibit%20main.html

Jessica,

Have you read 'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell? I learned a great deal about self-directed nature study as a child from him. Durrell was left to roam the island of Corfu and discovered so much by hours alone observing and supportive parents. As I recall he did no writing, just a lot of collecting.

And the follow-up Birds, Beasts, and Relatives.

Both are wonderfully fun reads!

YOu have totally piqued my interest in this book......and not for the reason you think!! It is an unusual name. It was also my grandmother's maiden name. So, I went and read a bio on him online and he and my grandmother grew up in the same location.

Either way, I am going to get some of his books just to read anyway!

His brother was a writer, too, and wrote the Alexandria Quartet.