Menu

2year old talking in code....

lynn

My 2 year tells strange short stories throughout the day.

Example from this morning: My babysister didn't finish her homework but, that's alright.

Huh? she does not have a babysister but does tell us stories using "babysister" and talks on her phone to "babysister.

She does say random things as she walks around dictating her stories using hands expressively.

Normal, strange, stage, silly, imitating the stories of the books we read to her? Anyone experience this?

Normal, strange, stage, silly, imitating the stories of the books we read to her? Anyone experience this?

Yes. And cute, don't forget cute!

My now 17 year old used to tell us these fantastical stories about how she died. :eek:

"And then one time I drownded when my motorcycle fell off the bridge"

"And then I died when......."

It was somewhat discomforting to her mama, but she outgrew it.

My first thought is that she's just a bright, imaginative toddler. :) Perhaps "babysister" is an imaginary friend? Another thought is that young children often don't see the difference between reality and fiction, so she's simply entering into, or introducing, a topic of conversation that she finds interesting...and she's providing equally interesting detail to flesh out her topic.

Personally, it sounds very normal to me. I wouldn't be worried at all. I'd just enjoy this intelligent, articulate, wonderful child. I think she sounds adorable!

Lisa

Ah...you are bringing back such fond memories of my own ds's imaginary friend. Except you had better not tell him she was imaginary. :) This stage went on from about age 4-6 I think. Her name was Aleta? Alana? I'm going to ask him as soon as he wakes up. He sat a place for her at dinner, made a spot for her in his bed, made sure I had an extra ticket to get her in the fair, was horrified if I 'sat' on her, or left her home, or at the store....

He still has a vivid imagination...Just enjoy it.

Ah...you are bringing back such fond memories of my own ds's imaginary friend. Except you had better not tell him she was imaginary. :) This stage went on from about age 4-6 I think. Her name was Aleta? Alana? I'm going to ask him as soon as he wakes up. He sat a place for her at dinner, made a spot for her in his bed, made sure I had an extra ticket to get her in the fair, was horrified if I 'sat' on her, or left her

He still has a vivid imagination...Just enjoy it.

My little brother had a friend named PingPong. PingPong went everywhere with us!

As his older sister by 8 years, I did not find this cute or amusing, but our mom sure did!!! I think she even found my preteen angst over the whole thing amusing. "Mo-om, make him stop. What if one of my friends sees him doing that?" :D She would just smile patiently (or maybe it was patronizingly) at me and then encourage his ramblings.

My 2 year old DD does this sometimes. She's just trying out the words she's heard in books, or on TV, or in conversation. I think it's adorable. I usually ask her questions and play along, but now and then I remind her that she's pretending. "Are you pretending that you have a baby sister?"

It's a stage, kind of like the stage that comes around 3.5 -4ish when they start telling fantastic stories and trying to convince you (and themselves) they're true. In that case, I usually say, "Wouldn't it be fun if that really happened?" or "You tell some fun stories! Now tell me what really happened." It helps them to separate their imaginary world from reality while still allowing them the right to enjoy their creative imagination.