Menu

Fav. cheap supplemental math for grade 4?

Alison in KY

I'm considering buying a smiple to use math workbook for grade 4. We are currently using MUS Gamma and I really love it, but since it doesn't flow the same way as a more traditional program I occasionally throw in some little cheap workbook here or there.

Well, I'm out of my cheap workbooks. I was thinking about ordering the MCP grade 4 math, but it's 27.50, so that's not so cheap. I really don't like alot of the workbooks I've seen out there. I thought about developmental math, but RR doesn't have the one level I'd buy for him.

Any ideas, something that I can preferably get from Rainbow Resource?

Alison in KY

If you're happy with Math-U-See, I'd avoid anything that uses a dramatically different teaching method. If you're just looking for a supplement and not a whole other program, check out Evan-Moor's products. They have the Take it to Your Seat centers, Basic Math Skills, and Daily Practice books. I *love* the centers for grades 3-4. You don't need to laminate them for one student and they would not even require writing most of the time.

Also (for a lot more bang for your buck) check out Family Math:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Math-Equals-Jean-Stenmark/dp/0912511060

Spectrum Math books are about $8 I think. I use their phonics and vocabulary books and like them. They are mostly black/white and basic but a good quality program.

They meet "national testing standards" if that matters at all-sometimes people like to use them as test prep.

:iagree:

To supplement gamma, I have used the Focus on Math series. I get problem solving, geometry, and measurement:

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1238764272-1204018&subject=10&category=2425

They are about $3 per subject and do not clash with the way that MUS is taught, but supplement the things that are missing. My son thinks they are fun and looks forward to them every day!