Menu

Attention Computer Savvy People - Backing up Bookmarks

Yes you can. If you are using Internet Exploer click on the File menu 'Import - Export'. It will take you to another window, click Next. Then click on 'Export Favorites' then click next. Just select the folder where you want to back it up at and click next again. Choose where you want to save it at and click next, finish. If you are using Mozilla or Netscape it's a bit different.

I want to learn how to do this too and we use Mozilla as well. This will speak volumes about my computer knowledge, but where do you find a file menu? I have looked on my START pop up screen and can't find anything that says that. Maybe, because we have Mozilla?

For Mozilla

Go to Bookmarks

Click Manage Bookmarks

Click Tools

Click Export

Choose file to export to (for example, I export to "My Documents" and I rename the file "MozBookmarksFeb25")

For Firefox

Go to Bookmarks

Click Organize Bookmarks

Click File

Click Export

Choose file to export to (for example, I export to "My Documents" and I rename the file "FoxBookmarksFeb25")

It will be in the top left corner of your screen when you are on Mozilla.

I want to learn how to do this too and we use Mozilla as well. This will speak volumes about my computer knowledge, but where do you find a file menu? I have looked on my START pop up screen and can't find anything that says that. Maybe, because we have Mozilla?

Yes, back up anything important on a disk. Otherwise, if you lose everything you will have to pay someone a lot of money to maybe get it back.

You should also be able to export your bookmarks directly to a disk. I don't do that because the only time I've ever lost my bookmarks, I didn't lose the copy in My Documents -- they just disappeared one day from my browser. I don't know why that happened. Also, I don't really care all that much if I lose my bookmarks. I don't use most of them anyway and I can recall the sites I use a lot.

I have a question, sorry if it is a dumb one. I exported my bookmarks to my documents, but if my computer crashes wouldn't I lose everything in my documents too? Or am I supposed to save everything in my documents to a disk now?

I LOVE del.icio.us with Firefox on my Mac. I was already used to the tagging of bookmarks, rather than organizing them in folders, due to enjoying Powermarks on my old Windows machine. I really loved that, but there is no Mac version. I decided to try del.icio.us, and it's all...

happy happy joy joy :)

I look for "medieval" and find everything I tagged that way, or "latin" or "art" or "math" "printable" to find my worksheet sites....

Sometimes I also add a "temp" tag: I have the "temp" tag on my Firefox toolbar so I get a dropdown menu of all of the sites I tagged "temp"; when I'm done with an online resource, usually for homeschooling a topic, I can delete the temp tag but leave all the others.... and I can still find it later.

I love having access to my bookmarks from any computer and in the event of the death of a computer, whether temporary or otherwise :}

is precisely why I started bookmarking everything with del.icio.us instead so that my bookmarks are stored online. It is nice to find my bookmarks with tags. I have icons in my toolbar for del.icio.us with firefox, making it easy to use.

FWIW...

are all bookmarks public or can you set your preferences to private? I'm not bookmarking anything illegal or anything :) just research information that's really boring, and I just want to be able to access for work.