Menu

Winter Promise Readers with Schedule? (Ancients)

JudoMom

I'm considering buying the Ancient World Reader set for my boys.

It includes:

• Tirzah
  • A Place in the Sun
  • Beauty in the Fields
  • Bible Wars & Weapons
  • Rise of the Golden Cobra
  • Aesop’s Fables
  • Theras and His Town
  • Detectives in Togas
  • Polycarp

It also comes with a Reading Schedule. It would cost me the same as buying all of the titles individually at Amazon, and I won't have to schedule them.

Are these titles suitable for boys? We're doing a Mystery of History/SOTW1 combo. Would I be better off hand picking titles and scheduling them myself? The first time we went through Ancients we did minimal outside reading.

Opinions?

I've worked through the Ancients books this year from WP - (at least most of the them). Tirzah and Beauty in the Fields are definitely girl books - good but girl characters. The list changed this year so I didn't know what Polycarp was so I looked it up on Amazon and it was given a 5-star rating and appears to have boys as main characters. Bible Wars and Weapons in a nonfiction-type book somewhat in cartoon form. Personally, I think you could pick a few and use the Sonlight catalog and pick a few more from there and you'd be fine. Typically the schedule for the WP books are just 1 to 2 chapters. The one thing that I've figured out this year is that my kids (who are doing the Ancients for 7th and 9th grade) did not enjoy all of the ancient-period read alouds so we've switched in some other favorites just because. The Ancients tends to have names of characters and places that are hard to read/pronounce and it becomes less enjoyable. Another option is look at some of the read-alouds from the Quest program - coming to mind would be The Golden Goblet (I wasn't sure about this one but someone said to stick with it and we did and ended up enjoying it). The classic Illiad and Odyssey and for boys who really love that war/soldier thing Gladiator. I personally found after been there/done that, that I should have just picked a few from the various programs. And finally, the Illuminations program that was beta-tested this year has used some great literature so you might try checking their list out for some suggestions (they read the Epic of Gilgamesh and Adam of the Road if I remember correctly). Just a few rambling thoughts. Heidi

It also comes with a Reading Schedule. It would cost me the same as buying all of the titles individually at Amazon, and I won't have to schedule them.

Sometimes I think I'll buy just about anything if it comes with a schedule. ;)

Of course, then I see the schedule and it doesn't match up with anything else we're doing, so I end up ditching it and using the books willy-nilly. :glare:

I don't know how this particular set of books is scheduled, but when we used a complete WP core, some of the books were scheduled concurrently, with each day consisting of reading a few pages of one book, followed by a few pages from another, and another.... and it drove us nuts, because we do better when we read one book at a time, and quite a bit of it each day.

I'm not familiar with most of the books on the list, but usually, when I buy a "package," I end up with enough books I don't want, to make the package price a lot less of a bargain than I'd hoped it would be.

I hope others post reviews of the books, though, as I'm looking for "boy books," too!

Cat

Sometimes I think I'll buy just about anything if it comes with a schedule. ;)

You're not kidding me, Cat. I think I'm suffering from burnout, though, because I'm considering K12 for next year (and I already have most of my stuff purchased or I'm settled on). I'm just so tired of planning. I wish I was like some others who could wake up, look at the next lesson, and do it every day. But I found out early on in my hsing career that if it's not written down I do not get it done. So I have to schedule everything I want to get done, even if I should be able to just pick up the book and go.

Heh. That's probably more than you wanted to know. Thanks for the reply.

I've worked through the Ancients books this year from WP - (at least most of the them). Tirzah and Beauty in the Fields are definitely girl books - good but girl characters. The list changed this year so I didn't know what Polycarp was so I looked it up on Amazon and it was given a 5-star rating and appears to have boys as main characters. Bible Wars and Weapons in a nonfiction-type book somewhat in cartoon form. Personally, I think you could pick a few and use the Sonlight catalog and pick a few more from there and you'd be fine. Typically the schedule for the WP books are just 1 to 2 chapters. The one thing that I've figured out this year is that my kids (who are doing the Ancients for 7th and 9th grade) did not enjoy all of the ancient-period read alouds so we've switched in some other favorites just because. The Ancients tends to have names of characters and places that are hard to read/pronounce and it becomes less enjoyable. Another option is look at some of the read-alouds from the Quest program - coming to mind would be The Golden Goblet (I wasn't sure about this one but someone said to stick with it and we did and ended up enjoying it). The classic Illiad and Odyssey and for boys who really love that war/soldier thing Gladiator. I personally found after been there/done that, that I should have just picked a few from the various programs. And finally, the Illuminations program that was beta-tested this year has used some great literature so you might try checking their list out for some suggestions (they read the Epic of Gilgamesh and Adam of the Road if I remember correctly). Just a few rambling thoughts. Heidi

Thanks, Heidi :001_smile:.

I hope others post reviews of the books, though, as I'm looking for "boy books," too!

We're not doing Winter Promise, but we are on the ancients this year. Here are some of the books my son (just turned 11) has read this year that have been big hits:

Aesop’s Fables

Boy of the Painted Cave

Children’s Homer

Dar and the Spear Thrower

Gilgamesh the Hero

Golden Goblet

Tales from India (Ramayana)

The Golden Goblet

The Way of Alexander the Great

Theras and his Town

Top 10 Greek Legends: Zeus on the Loose

Tusk and Stone

Of the ones that are coming up in the remainder of the year, he seems most excited about these:

Detectives in Togas (which had read aloud to him a few years ago)

Eagle of the Ninth

Horrible Histories: Rotten Romans

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Maybe that will spark some ideas.

• A Place in the Sun

I have to say, my son read this one, too, and it got a big "eh" from him. It was fine, just not as good as some of the others. For ancient Egypt, he much preferred Golden Goblet.

He read The Cat of Bubastes, too, which fell somewhere in between these. I think the Golden Goblet was his favorite of that set.

Can you get the buy 3, get one free deal from Amazon on this deal? Or are the books available used at betterworldbooks.com (free shipping all the time there)? As the previous poster mentioned, WP reader schedules are typically "Read chapter 1 on Mon, chapter 2 on Tues, chapter 3 on Wed, chapter 4 on Thurs" so not terribly helpful.