Menu

Help....What would you choose for Ancient History??

momof165

We are changing our homeschool approach to a more classical, literature rich one. I am looking for an Ancient History program for ds 9 that is secular in nature or can be tailored easily. I want lots of good books, read alouds, thought provoking questions, some writing, etc. Crafts, hands-on projects are welcomed as long as they don't challenge Mom too much!:D

STOW, SL, and WP come to mind. Am I missing any other programs out there? What do you use for Ancient History? BTW, an easy to use TM would be a BIG PLUS!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Sonja

We are changing our homeschool approach to a more classical, literature rich one. I am looking for an Ancient History program for ds 9 that is secular in nature or can be tailored easily. I want lots of good books, read alouds, thought provoking questions, some writing, etc. Crafts, hands-on projects are welcomed as long as they don't challenge Mom too much!:D

STOW, SL, and WP come to mind. Am I missing any other programs out there? What do you use for Ancient History? BTW, an easy to use TM would be a BIG PLUS!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Sonja

Sonja,

WP wouldn't be secular, unless you drop the Mystery of History text. Most WP users say you could do that and still have a full program.

TruthQuest can be used secularized, though then it is more of a chronological booklist.

Nothing else is coming to mind right now...

Heather

I like SL best for ease of use. Its not hard to secularize at the lower levels but I havent done core 6 yet, which is the upper range of cores you could consider. At 9, core 1 is do-able for history. It relies on Usborne's World History book, Child's History of the World (revised ed which is moderate in so far as christian content) and Usborne's Time Traveler.

Core 1+2 is another option.

In either case you'd have to stuff in appropriate read alouds (not hard to find) and readers (also not impossible.)

I have not used WP yet but will try it next year for the youngest child.

If you could find a core 1 or 1+2 used it would be worth the money maybe.

There's History Oddysey and Bringing Up Learners Mosaic, their ancient history is called Myths and Marvels. I was not impressed with their book list, but they have a lot of websites that make up for it. SOTW AG and TWTM have a lot of suggestions that are age appropriate for a 9 year old. You can plug in You wouldn't want to be a.... books for almost every stage of history in which an appropriate reader or readaloud is missing in the AG.

I would use SOTW with the accompanying activity guide. The activity guide provides coloring pages, mapwork (easy), the occasional pencil puzzle, review questions, and ideas for corresponding literature and projects. The extra reading lists give some approximate reading levels for some of the books, so you know which books will be best for your ds. There are also tests available.

Thank you ladies for all of your replies. I'll look into each of them. Please, keep the ideas flowing. I have lots of time, especially since I am sick right now! So, I'll just grab :lurk5: and wait. Maybe, this will make me feel better.

Sonja

I am planning on using History Odyssey Ancients with my dd9/10 next fall. The online samples provide a short required book list, but I believe each lesson gives additional reading suggetions as well. I'm going to pull from several places for additional reading (SL and Veritas mostly).

I would look at Heart of Dakota's Hearts for Him through Time: Creation to Christ. The guide will ship in August. There is a sample day posted on their website and I believe they will be posting a sample week soon.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-packages.php

ETA: ooops -sorry, I just re-read the thread and realized you said secular!

Edited by Another Lynn

We have the following books (probably way more - but these come to mind)

Usborne Book of World History

The Time Traveler

Kingfisher The Ancient World

World History - The Human Experience

The Nature Company: Ancient Egypt

Usborne Internet-Linked: Greeks

The Best of Ancient Greece

Classical Kids - An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome

Lots of read alous such as:

Detectives of Toga

Cat of Bubastes

Tut's Mummy Lost ....And Found

Egypt by Stephen Krensky

Valley of the Golden Mummies

Ancient World

The Colloseum

Greek Gods and Goddesses

These are just some that come to mind, but I KNOW we have more.

Sonja

I'll look at STOW and TOG. I love the idea of a religous worldview. I am looking for a secular history program because we'd like to teach our son our own religious views. (Russian Orthodox).

Thanks again for everyone's input. I just love to read all of your replies. Gives me a lot to look at and think about.

Sonja

I'd go with SOTW with the AG, too. I'm using SL 1/2 now and it would be a bit young for a typical 9yo unless you beef it up. Before we started SL, we tried SOTW and I put it on hold until my kids are a bit older. It has a lot of meat (that's why SL uses it in Core 6 and 7). It's much easier to do SOTW and pick the readers for older kids that are listed in the AG. A lot of the books that are read alouds for a 1st grader would make great readers for a 4th grader. You can also use the VP catalog for some good book ideas.

There is a schedule that combines Egermeier's Story Bible or Vos and SOTW 1 here:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SOTWmenu.htm

I'd guess that Egermeier is about 4th grade reading level and although it doesn't include all the Orthodox books of the Bible, it could be a good choice for you.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll look at STOW and TOG. I love the idea of a religous worldview. I am looking for a secular history program because we'd like to teach our son our own religious views. (Russian Orthodox).

Thanks again for everyone's input. I just love to read all of your replies. Gives me a lot to look at and think about.

Sonja

I'm coming into this late, but we are Greek Orthodox...

I found Mosaic's Myths, Marvels, and Legends to be most easily adaptable because it's secular. There are four versions (really two, with two different base texts). You can use either the version with prehistory, or the version without...

and you can use it with SOTW, or with E.H. Gombrich's "Little History of the World".

I'm not totally into the lit section (read-alouds) so we're just using our own there. But I love that I don't have to pull out any content that presents history specifically from a Protestant viewpoint.

And I love that they include activities.

Hi Julianna and Chaik,

thank you so much for sharing these two wonderful resources. I'll definitely need more time to check them out. Chaik, I have never ever heard of Mosaic's Myths, Marvels and Legends. I am so glad you posted this one.

A Big THANK YOU to the two of you and everyone else who gave such great advise.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

SOTW would be the easiest to use and to me, my personal opinion, the easiest TM or Activity Guide to follow.

HTH,

Dee (who is still trying to decide between Abeka 3rd grade history(simple and sweet) or SOTW for next year-I was originally going to wait until the 4rth grade, but now I'm not so sure)