Menu

8th and 9th grade plan - opinions please?

Murphy101

the ever fretting Martha returns to wring her hands over preparing for high school. bless you for your generous opinion and consideration in advance!

9th grade

Seton english 9

Seton grammar and composition 9

Seton and Kolbe religion 9

Life of Fred Alg 1 - I have Lials and Key to series for back up if needed

Kolbe Greek History 9 and Greek lit (at request of son!)

Kolbe Physical Science

Spanish Luna

MP logic 2

We plan on taking the ACT at least twice this year in a very non-stressed let's see how it goes manner. Unless we hit that awesome 30+ score the first try. Isn't that an awesome dream to contemplate?!:D

I don't think any of that makes him ready for any AP tests or SATsubs?

I think SATsub level 1 might be the only subject test he takes and that'll be near the end of 10th grade when he finishes geometry? Maybe the english SATsub at some point.

Greek history isn't going to prep him for either of the history AP exams.

And altho Seton is pretty rigorous in english and lit, I don't think 9th grade will end with him taking an AP test for those either. Be thrilled if someone could tell me otherwise though.:)

I'm thinking 9th grade will be rigorous, but not too stressful or test driven. (big adjustment from my test mania plans of last year!:lol:)

Edited by Martha
baby started crying before I could get 8th grade listed

Just a quick comment on the Kolbe:

My dd also requested the Kolbe Greek history and lit back in 9th grade. It's one of her fondest memories...immersed in all those nice thick volumes all year...I read along and we had the best times discussing. Much happier than marching to the tune of an AP syllabus!

happy reading!

Kathy

Keep in mind, you don't have to do every test for every little thing, and you can do a variety of tests. So I would recommend AP's only for subjects your student really loves. For those "other" subjects, try for SAT II or CLEPs instead, which are easier tests, but still validate rigor in your coursework.

Karen