Menu

Co-ops...

So, there is a pretty nice co-op in my area that will begin its second year this fall. I got all of the information last night emailed to me. The price seems to be really really high!! And we are in a little county in Western NC. I just wanted to get some feedback on the co-ops in your area.

Each age group will have 3 classes per week. My 3rd grader would have a science class (using Apologia's Astronomy text), a class called "Exploring America with Little House on the Prairie", and art alternating weeks with Spanish. Sounds like a great class line up!! But the cost is $360 for the year. That seems steep to me. Plus almost every class requires an additional materials fee or text purchase. So I am looking at over $400 just for one child. My first grader would have an Earth Science class, art, and Spanish. That would be $360 also. And then there is a fee for the preschool age ($150) even though the moms take turns helping in that class. Anyway, my total would be almost $1000, due in full by August.

I know it is a private co-op, it is close to me, the classes look great, and I have heard great feedback from the parents this year. And I know the director has the right to price it however she wants. I'm not trying to change her mind or anything. But I just wanted to get some feedback from you all and info on the co-ops in your area.

Thanks!!

Our co-op has around 95 kids and is $7 per child for the year.

Those classes sound awesome! :)

We have 3 classes, a lunch period and 1 hour for gym.

Yours seems high but maybe they have to lease the building for the year? and have to reimburse for heat/AC ect..

We hold ours is a church that donates the space to us, as long as we clean up after ourselves.

Our co-op has around 95 kids and is $7 per child for the year.

Those classes sound awesome! :)

We have 3 classes, a lunch period and 1 hour for gym.

Yours seems high but maybe they have to lease the building for the year? and have to reimburse for heat/AC ect..

We hold ours is a church that donates the space to us, as long as we clean up after ourselves.

So what classes are offered through your co-op?

If you are not required to teach, that sounds really good. We have co-ops in our area that are free and some that are 3x what you just quoted (1 day a week.) If the teachers are quality and the courses are fantastic, I think it is a bargain.

Paula

Thanks for the perspective.

You have to do what works for your family, but personally I wouldn't spend that much money on elementary classes. High school, yes. Elementary, no. But, if it works for your family and you can afford it....

It would be nice, but we cannot afford it. So we've made our decision, and I appreciate your feedback.

It sounds like a bargain to me.

My kids are in a co-op that meets once per week. On that day they have five classes. We pay $5 per class meeting, so a 6-week session costs $30 per class. There is also a $25 registration fee per kid per quarter. So, to buy the whole line-up for a 6-week quarter for one kid, I pay $175. The two women who run the co-op are friends of mine, and I happen to know that they are just able to break even. This is NOT a profit-making venture.

if the co op is hiring teachers then I don't think this is out of line. This is a full year program that I assume covers 3 hours a week for academic subjects. I assume the teachers hired know something about the subjects, will be doing prep for the classes and grading.

What other activities do you do? If you took piano lessons that could cost you $100-$150/month for one 30 minute lesson a week. If you signed up for soccer you'd have 2.5 months of 2x a week activity (1 practice, 1 game) with a parent volunteer coach who may know very little about the game for a registration fee of $70.

Compare the cost of what this provides to other activities you would consider. Also consider what are you trying to get out of this. What purpose are the classes supposed to serve for your family. Are these subjects you specifically cannot teach. Do you think these teachers are particularly gifted? Are you simply trying to get in a "group setting" learning activity and could you do that cheaper elsewhere. If there was a co op that was cheap/free, would you do that or is better for you to pay a get a break from responsibility. If you could teach everything at home are there homeschool groups that meet weekly that are just social that would fill some void.

Wow, and I thought our co-op was expensive!! Ours runs 30 weeks per year, five class periods per child, and the cost is $185 *per family,* no matter how much children you have. There are extra fees for supplies for certain classes, but our total was definitely under $250 for all of our three children's classes. That is a lot of money for our family, but the benefit to our kids has been wonderful. Moms do the teaching, but we are blessed to have several moms with degrees in their subject area, and the rest of us just do our best to have the best classes we can.

Here are the classes my dc have had this year:

12 yos: US geography, Intro to Literature, French, Science, gym

8 yos: gym, art, writing, famous americans/health (each 1/2 year), Native Americans/Legos (each 1/2 year)

6yod: gym, art, math, Five in a Row, musical drama

That seems like a lot to me. My co-op is usually around $350-450/semester, and you can offset the cost by teaching. I usually come close to breaking even. You might see if there's a way of working off your costs.

this year's fees, approximately:

Elementary students (K4 thru 5th grade): $135 for the year; includes 4 classes meeting for about 45 minutes each, one day per week, for 22 weeks; texts, where applicable, are provided by the student's family

Middle School (6th - 8th grade): $180 per clas per year; 4 classes meet for 65 minutes each, one day per week, for 22 weeks; texts, where applicable, are provided by the student's family

High School: $310 per class per year; 4 class periods meet for 65 minutes each, two days per week, for 32 weeks; some additional lab or supplies fees may apply; most teachers are professionals, several also teach at a community college; texts are provided by the student's family

Our courses are academically rigorous -- this is not an enrichment co-op. All of the teachers are paid. Parents serve 5 days per school year as a helper of some sort.

and this upcoming year I've decided to start a co-op b/c I'm not able to pay these high prices. Most of the fees are to pay for facilities and teachers. So, I figure if you have all volunteers and reasonable facility charges; you should be able to do this with very little cost.

Starting a co-op might be an option for you. I don't know. That's what I've decided to do b/c I just can't justify spending 1k for the year. I'm hoping to find a few moms that want to teach the same subjects, in a group setting, and find a reasonable location.

By the way- we're in NC too!!!

Good luck!

Bethany Blizard

planning time, copying costs, building costs, insurance costs and a lot more. If you hire teachers they still make almost nothing. I think that is a very inexpensive co-op, but perhaps you would like more relevant classes- Latin, history and writing? You couldn't get Latin, history and writing for that price.