Menu

Yogurt brands...enlighten me

I've never been a yogurt eater. I found that 'tang' and aftertaste NOT my thing.

However, my kids love it. Any and all kinds, they seem to enjoy.

I generally get them a natural, plain one, Dannon being the most common, though we've gotten Stoneyfield in the past. They mix it with a smidge of honey and fruit. We also use it in smoothies. I can deal with it just fine that way. I don't notice that aftertaste. ;)

Then I thought I'd give Dannon's new natural fruit ones. I like it! It has a thinner consistency and NO aftertaste or funky tang. But it only comes in those small 4oz containers. That is soooo not going to work for me.

I got brave recently and tried Whole Foods' 365 brand, in strawberry. I didn't like it so well. It was VERY gelatinous. It was thick, yes, but in a different way than other yogurts, like the plain Dannon and Stoneyfield I had tried. It was just...gelatinous, no other way to put it. My Eldest didn't like it either..the consistency.

I got braver still and tried Brown Cow and Wallaby, also found at WF. Different consistencies there, but both good. Wallaby has a thinner consistency, even a bit more so than the Dannon naturals fruit one. Brown Cow was thicker, but not gelatinous.

So, now I'm just wondering more about other brands. What can you tell me about 'em?

I want something natural. No artificial sweeteners. No artificial flavors and colors. Just good ole natural yogurt. Oh and it should come in a minimum of 6oz containers. If it comes in one of the larger tubs, all the better. But I won't hold my breath on that one. I prefer not to spend a buck and a half (or more!)on ONE container..but...you never know when you'll come across a sale ;) So, go ahead and toss me those as well.

YUM YUM YUM

Greek Gods yogurt is very thick and creamy, and we like that. Noone in our house likes thin yogurt. Shudder. Double shudder. Sometimes we buy the plain variety and add our own honey. We think the honey flavored yogurt is better than ice cream.

The ingredients in the plain variety are:milk, cream, pectin, and cultures.

The only drawback is that it's pretty pricey.

I've contemplated making my own. Just haven't gotten that far yet ;) Yes, would you please share your recipe Ria?

But of course, you realize, I will then need tips on how to achieve the consistency I desire. You know this, right? hehe

Does homemade yogurt have that tangy aftertaste?

Janna...Wallaby and Brown Cow were actually the cheaper ones I found at Whole Foods...the Wallaby was on sale, but I'm not sure the Brown Cow was. That's why I was asking about other brands though...as the sales rotate, I'd like to know what brands would work for me :) "Being prepared for all seasons" I guess you could say hehe

Oh, thanks for the guar gum tip, Laura. I'll check into that.

YUM YUM YUM

Greek Gods yogurt is very thick and creamy, and we like that. Noone in our house likes thin yogurt. Shudder. Double shudder. Sometimes we buy the plain variety and add our own honey. We think the honey flavored yogurt is better than ice cream.

The ingredients in the plain variety are:milk, cream, pectin, and cultures.

The only drawback is that it's pretty pricey.

This is my favorite brand right now. I also like the Trader Joe's greek yogart as well. The girls love Brown Cow.