Menu

I need to quickly decide about something; give me your two cents, please!

Saturday morning 6 a.m. and I just sent my guys out the door to a 4-H quiz bowl. I'm supposed to head out soon myself and drive down to Seattle (two hour drive) to work at an organics trade show all day. Then tomorrow I'm slated to run a half-marathon. I need to leave the conference in the late afternoon, drive a while, take a ferry to the island where the race takes place, and drive a while more in order to pick up my race packet before 8 pm tonight. Kinda makes for a long day; don't ask me why I do these things to myself.:tongue_smilie:

A day or two ago I was beset with a miserable cold and last night I was up most of the night with a runny nose, stuffy head, etc. I slept a couple of hours. I can operate on that much sleep if need be, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to carry through on my commitment to work at this conference. I'm thinking maybe a hot shower and coffee and so on will allow me to get through it in decent shape, but I don't want to over do it and spend all next week in sick bay. Skipping the conference would allow me to rest more today and not rush to the race expo. Although if I feel tomorrow the way I do right now, I might not even run the race.

Ack! I'm having a serious moment of indecision! I don't want to use a cold as excuse to bail on my commitment to work the trade show. There are other people working the booth, too, so it isn't my sole responsibility. Still, I said I'd do it.

So-o-o-o, what would you do? Call and bow out of the conference? Suck it up and work ~ without shaking hands in the process? What, what, what?

Edited by Colleen

That you feel like you are getting sick and want to run the marathon, and ask if they can get by without you? I would want to be upfront about the marathon because otherwise they will find out and think "oh, sure she was sick!"

So to me, it seems fair enough to call and feel out whether they really need you or not. If they have enough people to get by, it would allow you to rest. If they say they really really need you, then you probably will want to go.

If you are getting sick the people at the trade show would be grateful if you did not attend(i.e. they don't want to catch what you have). Sorry if I sound blunt but that tends to be my way. Also you may be able to fight off the cold if you take it easy today.

Karen

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot

Really, Colleen. Just because you "could" do it - on so little sleep - doesn't mean it would be good for your body. Have an easier day today and decide about the race later today.

So meat up that water (for tea, not coffee, dear), make sure there is chicken soup in the house (canned will be just fine), take an easy walk around the place for some fresh air, then relax.

I really, really hope you are feeling well enough to do the half-marathon. I can't run and live vicariously through women like you!

....I would cancel the trade show. When I have a head cold, I find concentrating on driving really difficult, so while the two hours to get there might be 'doable', working the show would make me feel worse, and then the drive back would be torture (and dangerous) ...especially if it was after dark.

Hope you feel better soon. Head colds just make me feel completely miserable!

I would view each day as a separate entity. You got almost no sleep last night and being able to rest today may keep you from getting sicker. Say no to the conference, not just because you would like to do the marathon tomorrow, but because your body needs it. Then you evaluate your ability to do the marathon later after you've rested.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cindy

You committed to the trade show - that's work.

You want to run - that's fun and personal.

I think the commitment to work comes first. It's like when I was a kid and I was too sick for school but OK for afternoon sports. That was a no-go in my family. I don't think you can be too sick for work and run a few hours the next day. If you are too sick to work, you are too sick to run. Either cancel both or do both.

And be more careful with your scheduling next time. (You know that already - "don't ask me why I do these things to myself.")

So - get another cup of coffee and get on the road! You can do it!

You committed to the trade show - that's work.

You want to run - that's fun and personal. I think the commitment to work comes first.

Yeah, I hear you.

I don't think you can be too sick for work and run a few hours the next day. If you are too sick to work, you are too sick to run. Either cancel both or do both.

It's not that I'm too sick to work. Unless one is literally praying to the porcelain goddess, one can do just about anything while sick. It's more a matter of standing at a trade show, closely communicating with attendees and handing out food samples while I'm stopping every few minutes to blow my nose.

And be more careful with your scheduling next time. (You know that already - "don't ask me why I do these things to myself.")

Well, thank you, but I don't want to be reprimanded about my scheduling. I worked the trade show last year and ran the half the next day ~ our cooperative has typically been involved with both ~ so I know it's do-able.

....I would cancel the trade show. When I have a head cold, I find concentrating on driving really difficult, so while the two hours to get there might be 'doable', working the show would make me feel worse, and then the drive back would be torture (and dangerous) ...especially if it was after dark.

:iagree:

I also agree that you should treat each day as a separate entity. You feel lousy today, so skip the trade show and rest. Forget about tomorrow until you wake up in the morning and see how you are feeling.

BTW, I just saw your last post, and noticed that you'll be handing out food samples at the trade show. I think you have an excellent excuse not to work, when there's so much potential to infect others. Really, would you want someone who is potentially contagious to be breathing all over the food you're about to eat?

Please stay home and relax. You'll probably end up feeling much worse if you work today, and you're not doing anyone any favors by serving food when you're ill.

I hope you feel better soon!

Cat

but definitely not both. The race will take a lot out of you and if you are already feeling like giving up on the trade show, maybe you need to give up the race instead?

But if you are completely bent on doing the race, I would stay home from the trade show for sure!

A big fat NO to the trade show. Colds and food are just a yucky, yucky mix. If I were working with you, I'd appreciate you staying home instead of giving me your cold. People going out in public while sick is one of my big pet peeves.

And, if I were getting food samples, I'd appreciate a booth more if there were no sneezy, coughy folks handing out the goods.

Hope your cold is better soon! :)

well, I think that answers your question about working at the booth, doesn't it? Just put it that way to the other people at the booth and I'm sure they'll understand.

As for running the marathon later on, why not wait and see how you feel this afternoon?

It's more a matter of standing at a trade show, closely communicating with attendees and handing out food samples while I'm stopping every few minutes to blow my nose.

:eek:

As a mother whose children have picked up an unusual number of cold germs this year, I appreciate folks who chose to stay home when they have more to offer than food samples.

I spoke earlier to the gal who heads up the event staff and she was very kind and accomodating. (We've worked O.V. events together before, so we have some familiarity with one another.) She encouraged me to take it easy and said I can stop by tomorrow afternoon (after the race, if I run) and spend a few hours at the booth if I'd like. I hope I do feel well enough to do that because this particular event (GreenFest) is fabulous. I hate to miss it altogether, and I always have a great time serving as an O.V. farmer-ambassador.

Thanks for your replies!

My kids had 4-H QUiz bowl today, too -- Dairy. I hope your gang did well and had a good time!

Dairy here, too. Good grief, I can't believe some of the seemingly random things these guys have been learning of late. Such as, um, nicknames for the four stomachs of a cow. I confess I'd rather fill their heads with other info, but they've been enjoying themselves. This area usually does send a team or two to nationals, but my oldest isn't yet in the senior division.

Hope things went well for your kids!:)

Dairy here, too. Good grief, I can't believe some of the seemingly random things these guys have been learning of late. Such as, um, nicknames for the four stomachs of a cow. I confess I'd rather fill their heads with other info, but they've been enjoying themselves. This area usually does send a team or two to nationals, but my oldest isn't yet in the senior division.

Hope things went well for your kids!:)

Well, we don't have a farm, so my girls are far beyond what I can keep up with about dairy cattle! I suppose I could sit in on practices and help them at home, but I have tons to do already and they're very capable of doing that themselves.

Dd1 and dd2 are senior level; older one was 10th and younger was 6th. Dd3 was a junior, but had never competed before. Diary bowl in our 4H district doesn't have much participation at the moment, and there were no novice teams this year. Dd1 and I were talking about that last week -- our first year in Dairy Bowl it took all day,and there were 5+ teams at every level. Dd remembers that her team was 8th (last) her first year, so at one time there were 8 teams' worth of novices doing Dairy Bowl. This year we had 4 senior teams and three junior. Where'd all those kids go??

Two other girls (sisters) from our county are going on to state-level competition which is at the end of April. Their older sisters have gone on to national competitions in Dairy Bowl and/or in Dairy Judging, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of these two makes it there this year.

I'm glad to have Monday nights open on the calendar now, at least until Dairy Judging practices start at the end of June...

(you know, when all my kiddos were younger, I never imagined being involved with COWS of all things! But ds2 loved them from the get go. He's majoring in Dairy Production & Mgmt, 2-yr program, at a SUNY school about 3.5 hrs from home).

I hope you're feeling better!

Edited by ChrisN in NY