Menu

Speaking of curriculum catalogs, Rainbow Resource is changing theirs

Blessedfamily

I totally agree--their website is NOT user friendly. When I got my survey I wrote them an email and told them that they ought to first put their efforts towards improving their site and then discontinue their catalog if they wish. He emailed right back and said thank you for letting him know.

I emailed them at info@rainbowresourse.com if you care to do the same.

There is also a form on their site for letting them know specific problems about the site, but I wasn't sure that "not user friendly" was specific enough. :001_smile:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a hard time with their website. As for the catalogue, if I were a retailer I'd be concerned about people simply "finding what they need." Using their website, that's pretty much the only thing that happens--there's no cross-sell or anything. You can't see other similar products like a catalogue. What would be cool is if they had a feature like amazon's that showed what other people purchased who also purchased that item.

I'm one of those that looks at the catalogue then orders online. Best of both worlds!

I like having the print catalog in my hands. I like to use the website when I have a specific title I'm looking for and I do all my ordering online, but when I am looking more broadly at, say, Chemistry programs, I find it much easier to flip through the catalog to see all the options. I like being able to star, and underline, and dogear pages. I use it as a reference book. It is a lot of paper and I understand that it would cut their opperating costs to put it on CD and if it goes that direction I will certainly adjust, but given the opportunity to cast a vote, my preference is to have that hefty chunk of printed pages.

I voted to keep the catalog. I love curling up in bed and reading it. It's much easier to navigate than the website. I have found lots of neat things in the catalog and it's easier to read the writeups on each item in the catalog vs. on the website. I'm still slightly old fashioned in that I like having things in my hands.

First thing I do when receiving the new edition is tape over the binding so it won't fall apart from all the use it receives! I read mine frequently, use it for library lists, and order from them a few times per year. I flag products I'm interested in, then go to their website to see sample pages.

I'd be so sad to lose the print catalog.

Michelle T

I wouldn't have had I not had the huge catalog to browse through outside while my kids were playing. They do need to improve their site prior to d/c their catalog. A cd's not the same as paging through a book.

:iagree: I love my RR catalog. I just received a $700 order and at least $300 of it was catalog stuff that I owul never have seen or thought to look at on the website, which is a real pain.

I only ever received one catalog, and didn't go to it much. I think it's because I'm such a visual person and *need* pics of the covers and a good description, etc - it just didn't work for me.

And I agree about using the website. That's probably the main reason I use CBD instead - I can find what I need, and it suggests things to go with it or that are similar or that are in the same series, etc. Amazon is too deep and involved for me, but I **love** CBD!!

I'd quicker use RR for prices and giving biz to another homeschooling family venture... but it's really difficult for me to just browse there.

I got an email from them a couple of months ago, but it wasn't a survey. They were asking if I presonally wanted to receive the printed catalog this year, since I've gotten it before, or would prefer not to get it. It said something about not wanting to print more than they need to, and keeping costs down.

I said no because I see it as such a waste of paper. That thing is bigger than my phonebook, lol.

I got an email from them a couple of months ago, but it wasn't a survey. They were asking if I presonally wanted to receive the printed catalog this year, since I've gotten it before, or would prefer not to get it. It said something about not wanting to print more than they need to, and keeping costs down.

I said no because I see it as such a waste of paper. That thing is bigger than my phonebook, lol.

That's what I got. I don't remember getting a survey.

Being that I am so new to homeschooling, I ordered their catalog about 3 weeks prior to getting the email about switching. I was NOT expecting such a LARGE catalog though and then it came the post office had destroyed it on the way! I like CBD but I prefer rainbow. I think they have so much more. When I was looking for the Hewitt Preschool Plus, rainbow was the only place I found it separated so that I didn't have to buy books I already had. I don't believe CBD carried it at all. The only think I didn't like was I ordered express delivery and then it asked if I wanted to pay ANOTHER 10 dollars for them to guarantee that the warehouse would ship it out before 7 days? I didn't pay the $10 extra but they shipped out the next day.

As for the catalog, I prefer the print because I can't sit in front of the computer for hours looking through their site and, also, because I wouldn't have imagined the amount of stuff they have on their website just by browsing. I knew they had quite a bit but when the catalog came, I was blowed away. It's now my favorite place to shop :).

That was the first part of the email. When you scroll to the bottom, they had a second set of questions about whether you think they should make the catalog available on a cd in the future, or keep the paper one.

I keep a stack by my bed. I can take them with me for reading material when I have to wait somewhere.My cds usually end up getting lost or broken. It's impossible to lose that big catalog. So it's the print version for me please.

I agree that the catalog is crazy.

However, I just ordered something for them and requested the catalog because I couldn't find anything I wanted on there. I think the same people who set up Netflix's site must have done RR. The search options are terrible. You have to know so much about something to look it up that I give up.

I love RR and hope they get a new improved site. Then, I won't care. They always come to our hs conference and they are the nicest people.

For those who were as worried as me that the Rainbow Resource catalog would go away, I received this response from them:

" Let me start off by dispelling the rumor that we're thinking of eliminating our print catalog - THAT IS NOT TRUE.

We wrote to our recent web customers to find out which, if any, didn't need to receive our main print catalog, which normally arrives sometime in the early summer. We did this to be good stewards of our finances by not wasting the printing and shipping costs on automatically sending a 1,400+ page catalog to customers who would not need them. There were, in fact, several thousand of those who responded that they, in fact, did not need to receive our catalog.

For the rest, we are very busy in the production of the 2009-2010 catalog and expect it be even larger than the current one. We appreciate that our catalog is, in many ways, a way of life for a lot of our customers and intend to keep it around."

Whew!

Noooooo!!!!

I can't curl up with my computer like I can with their catalog. I love their catalog. I hate looking at catalogs on the computer, and their website isn't the easiest to navigate.

:iagree:

I love curling up with the catalog and a hot cup of tea (or iced tea in the summer)...

I'm a catalog junkie and I love, love, love my RR catalog. It has a place of honor on my school shelf, and it's become part of a relaxing summer tradition.

When it arrives, I make a tall cold glass of tea, park myself on the back deck with shade and a pillow and enjoy a lazy stroll through homeschool dreamland.

What I don't like about RR is the website, as others have mentioned the search engine is not great but I also get irritated at the preview pages. Click on more views, and often all I see is the front cover, or the front cover and the index. Bah...I want to see the actually text or worksheet layout. Often I will look at something on CBD or the products website to get an inside view and then check Rainbow for the price, and their, usually, great product description. I hope they do update the website and keep the descriptions but all better previewing.

As for the catalog, you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

:)

If they quit printing a catalog maybe they can use the money for good human interface design. I don't find their catalog useful at all! How am I suppose to find anything in that monstrosity?

The table of contents and the index?

If they quit printing a catalog maybe they can use the money for good human interface design. I don't find their catalog useful at all! How am I suppose to find anything in that monstrosity?

They are not going to stop printing their catalog. In fact, the new one will be out in June. The email they sent out was asking individuals if they wanted to receive the new catalog or not, to get a better idea of how many to print out.

I do agree, they need to revamp their site.

I know that the days of print are dwindling, our generation is witnessing this change.

I like to hold the real thing in my hand. Our children do some of their own shopping with us and it helps to have a book verses crowding around the 'puter.

We primarily shop for special interests, arts, crafts, kits, new ideas, etc. more than curriculum. Paging through the book makes it easier to find something when you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

But, alas, I fear my days of holding my books are waning.

I am interested in getting a GoBible though - go figure!

CD, Online or printed text - my search for wonderful books shall not be stopped!;)

BearLair