Menu

Science:

Yuzu99

Hey all;

I'm finding the "How ____ Works" series a little weak for my soon-to-be 5th grader. I've looked at a DK/Smithsonian series that one reviewer said was for adults, and one said was for 4th - 8th graders. Has anyone looked at this series?

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Smithsonian-Institution-Robert-Winston/dp/0756605202/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

Has anyone used a non-creation centered science series that they've liked for this "intermediate" level?

Sincere thanks,

Adiranne

We have used 'The Earth' out of this series. It was a really wonderful book but, I suppose, even less of a course than the 'How____Works' series.

It was a while ago we checked it out from the library; it was aimed at adults but colourful and interesting. I would be happy to have it on my shelf as part of our studies and would even use it extensively but I don't think I would use it as a course because it would be a lot of work to enrich it with activities etc.

We have been enjoying David Attenborough's books which are much more in depth than even his television series. We read a chapter and then watch the equivalent episode on DVD. We use the BBC website to learn more and we have also been using the zoo and a zoological museum to go more in depth about each animal (I print out quiz sheets to use during our visits). I write my own quiz sheets and have used activities from Ellen McHenry's site (see link below in 'science').

Attenborough is a zoologist and so his books only cover 'Private Life of Plants', 'Life of Birds', 'Life of Mammals, 'Life in the Undergrowth' and the older 'Life on Earth'. They are all secular and evolutionary. The writing is of the highest quality and the children have both enjoyed and learned a great deal from him. It is important that he is so enthusiastic about his subject.

I can't comment on the DK books but Rainbow Resource has an intriguing-looking text book set that is labeled 6-12 grade because it is "on-level" content but written at a 4th grade reading level. It is secular.

Science Power Basics

Another option if you were interested in a secular literature approach would be Intermediate Science Through Children's Lit

Rainbow Resource has an intriguing-looking text book set that is labeled 6-12 grade because it is "on-level" content but written at a 4th grade reading level. It is secular.

Science Power Basics

We are using Power Basics Earth-Space Science books this year and enjoying them. I had used the "How_____Works" books with my older kiddo, but decided I needed something more textbook like for my youngest. We've added in other books too and it really has worked well.

Carole, DE