Menu

Where should we go on a road trip this summer?

I think we are heading toward Yellowstone in August. Convince me to go somewhere else or incorporate something else in our trip. We are in the Twin Cities and will have up to two weeks.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!

(We've already done the Black Hills...fabulous..but I don't want to do it again)

that we are trying to decide the exact same thing, except with a one week timeframe. And, yes, we are in the Twin Cities. Here's what I did - I got out a map of the US and a dry erase pen, then measured the distance from St. Paul to Dallas, TX since we are used to that length of a drive. Then I made a semi circle with the Twin Cities as my origin, and the distance to Dallas as my radius (clear as mud so far?) so we could see potential vacation destinations. Looks like we could just make it to Niagara Falls if we head east. I am trying to have everyone in the family have input into this trip, but so far one wants a big city destination, one wants all nature, etc. Good luck on your trip planning, I will be watching this thread with interest!

LauraD in MN

Illinois is a state rich in history. You could road trip down here. :001_smile:

I'm road tripping to CA this summer. Staying a couple of days in CO, going down to AZ to take dd to the Grand Canyon, then into SoCA to see my dad, brother, old friends, Sea World, Wild Animal Park, etc.

that we are trying to decide the exact same thing, except with a one week timeframe. And, yes, we are in the Twin Cities. Here's what I did - I got out a map of the US and a dry erase pen, then measured the distance from St. Paul to Dallas, TX since we are used to that length of a drive. Then I made a semi circle with the Twin Cities as my origin, and the distance to Dallas as my radius (clear as mud so far?) so we could see potential vacation destinations. Looks like we could just make it to Niagara Falls if we head east. I am trying to have everyone in the family have input into this trip, but so far one wants a big city destination, one wants all nature, etc. Good luck on your trip planning, I will be watching this thread with interest!

LauraD in MN

That is sooo funny, I do the same thing! Maybe it is a Minnesota thing.:lol:

Illinois is a state rich in history. You could road trip down here. :001_smile:

I'm road tripping to CA this summer. Staying a couple of days in CO, going down to AZ to take dd to the Grand Canyon, then into SoCA to see my dad, brother, old friends, Sea World, Wild Animal Park, etc.

Sounds like a great trip, Michelle. I was hoping we could make it as far as the Grand Canyon but I just don't know.

I think we are heading toward Yellowstone in August. Convince me to go somewhere else or incorporate something else in our trip. We are in the Twin Cities and will have up to two weeks.

(We've already done the Black Hills...fabulous..but I don't want to do it again)

Can't say much for August (I hate to travel when it's hot), but I can tell you about our trip to Yellowstone when there was snow on the ground. When we lived in Idaho, we drove up to Yellowstone one fall or spring (can't remember). Anyway, there was snow on the ground, the tourists were all gone ... it was quiet and serene. We had been in the summer once before. It was wall-to-wall tourists, traffic jams through the park, campsites packed, lines at every scenic stop. Not my kind of vacation. But the off-season was fantastic. We saw so many huge animals (I'm from the South), it started to snow, no waiting at anything ... I loved it.

There was so much to see out there for someone who's never been West. In Idaho alone, there was a park full of lava rock, some cave out in the desert which used to be a civil defense thing, huge sand dunes in the middle of nowhere, Rock City (?), small town zoos where you can get close enough to the grizzly bears to feed them a bagel from the end of a stick (:blink:can't believe we actually did that, now), and so on. I'd love to go back and sightsee again. Oh well.

Have fun on your vacation!

If you insist that you don't want to spend the full two weeks in Yellowstone, you can drive a short distance south to see the Tetons. :D

Our family is big into driving trips! We go on one to a different region of the US each year. We are "collecting" the states and we are heading to your area this spring (The mid-west :-)) Our last year's trip ended at Yellowstone and it is a really fun trip. But, we spent three days there and felt like that was plenty of time. There isn't a TON of things to do between you and Yellowstone if you have already done the Black Hills. Devil's Tower in Eastern Wyoming. I'm sure there are other things, but we haven't driven that strip.

It was the best trip, ever!! Some of the highlights included Jackson WY. There is an indoor rock climbing place right outside of the city with very reasonable prices. All of my kids climbing while dh and I belayed them all day long...we went back to campsite for dinner and returned to climb in the evening (it was a day pass). There is a rodeo, a staged "Shoot out" every night, and the town is really neat especially the center of town.

The Grand Tetons is wonderful. Be sure to get up very early in the morning at least once, before dawn, in either Yellowstone or the Tetons or both to view the best wildlife...wolves and bear. A horseback ride to a chuckwagon dinner in Yellowstone is wonderful and worth the money...great food and wonderful wildlife to view on horseback.

Some other things we visited were Devil's Tower. We had the best day ever at the Laura Ingall's Wilder Homestead in DeSmet, SD. Everything is hands on for the kids and a great way to learn about that time period.

Have a great trip.