Menu

FIAR Questions

mama2girls

DD1 will be 4 this summer. We have done B4FIAR this year and enjoyed it. I am planning to start FIAR this fall but I am wondering what to add, if anything. DD knows all her letters/sounds and it starting to read CVC words. We have been using HOP and plan to continue using that but I'm wondering if I should add something like EB math or handwriting. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA:001_smile:

We did FIAR for K.

At 4 personally I would add phonics if my child was ready, and nothing else yet. We do work on letters at 4 around here, but not a formal handwriting book-- my two to hit that age so far, though, have been boys. :) A lot of people do add math, but I would say it's absolutely not necessary at 4 or even 5. Learn to recognize and maybe write a few numbers, count lots of different things, I introduce addition, subtraction, place value through everyday conversations and hands-on but I don't expect them to know it yet or do any workbooks.

The FIAR boards are great to get ideas. Have fun with it! I can't wait to do FIAR again with my next child.

We are using FIAR and when we first started last fall I added handwriting, phonics, and math. We used (and are still using) EB math and we went thorugh pre-k and K Handwriting Without Tears books. We also used HOP and when we were finished we switched over to ETC.

So, yes, if you want a "complete" pre-K curriculum, you would want to add some introductory math and handwriting or pre-handwriting practice to what you're doing right now. :001_smile: