Menu

Ikea: two questions... How far would you drive to visit one?

The nearest to me is about 250 miles. I would do it in a heartbeat if I really thought I could make a purchase that day.

I know so many of you love Ikea. Besides being inexpensive, why do you like about it? Can furniture that cheap really be better than junk?

I'm looking at a kitchen table and a bed frame. As far as a table, we have vinyl (? I think) tile flooring, so a table can not be uneven or wobbly.

For some reason dh is more concerned about the quality of the bed. He wants to go look at these things first hand. Should we go?

Question two is not exactly about Ikea, but it is related to the furniture I am considering there. Is anyone here using a bedframe with a foam type mattress instead of a regular mattress and boxspring? I like the look of a simple, low style bed, and am considering this.

Thanks!

~Lisa

we don't have a bed, but we have 2 tables, and 2 benches, and a myriad of other smaller stuff. It's extremely high quality, with 7 kids and home almost 24/7, it takes a lot of wear and tear, and I highly recommend it.

I would travel 2 hours to visit one. For now, we make it a point when driving near one (any time we visit family up north, or friends in Atlanta) that we stop for a break.

we miss Ikea close by.

We really like Ikea and have a lot of their furniture, smaller stuff and just redid our kitchen using them. That said...it is cheap for a reason. We know the sofa we got there isn't the best, but with two small boys and plans to have more eventually, we're not really looking for furniture to last forever. I'd rather have good stuff that was inexpensive but that I'm not going to feel like is precious or valuable than really high quality stuff that I have to worry about.

You can check online or call the store to see if what you are interested in is in stock. We've done that. One word of caution is it's not always up-to-date so if it says there is only one of an item it's likely that they might not have any.

Also, a word of caution on the bed. They use European measurements so the people I know that have an Ikea bed and mattress had to get Ikea sheets. They really like the bed but they said it's a bit of a pain to not be able to use regular sheets. This might be even bigger deal if you live so far away and needed to replace sheets, etc.

I love Ikea. I was just there yesterday myself. I have many items in my house including beds that were purchased from Ikea. The quality is very high. Just be sure when you put things together that you read the directions competely through first and fully tighten all screws and bolts. Good luck with your decision.:)

but the closest one is a 4.5 hour drive away. For the past 2 years, Lady Dulcinea and I have driven up there with an empty van and have come back with a van loaded with stuff. (our trip coincides with our tax return...hehe). The first trip, we stayed overnight. We spent the afternoon/evening browsing the store and marking down what we liked. When we returned to the hotel, we checked dimensions, compared, figured out what we REALLY wanted and then went the next morning and bought it all.

The 2nd trip was only a day trip as we did not want or need as much stuff.

I have generally found IKEA products to be well made and with prices you can not beat. Most of their styles are very simplistic (although I have yet to like their linens).

IF we move to the Czech Republic, there is an IKEA in the town we will be living. I salivate just thinking about it!

One year a friend (Stacywithfourrugrats) and I took all the back seats out of her mini-van, drove 4 hours to IKEA. That time we took a long time and got a hotel. We packed the mini-van top to bottom and front to back.

The next year we did it again, but didn't stay over-night. Very long day, but well worth it.

We both readily admit we are crazy :eek: Last trip Stacy finally embraced the joys of coffee.

I love every thing I've bought there - a bed for DD, two dressers, huge shelving unit, smaller bookshelves, and other misc items. Great quality while still affordable.

We bought bunk beds for the girls at Ikea a few years ago. Right on their floor, there are models that are very solid and sturdy and there were models that shook like crazy and I would have been afraid to let a pet cat up on the top bunk, let alone my child. The bunk bed that we purchased was very sturdy and solid and we've been very pleased with it.

I don't think it is possible to make a general assumption about all Ikea products. Some are great, and some of them are exactly what you pay for- cheap!

Wood turning yellow is also a problem that I've experienced a lot with Ikea stuff (and so have a number of people I know).

I do purchase from Ikea from time to time but I find that if I want a good quality purchase that will last, Ikea is the last place I will look. They have great side tables, dressers, storage ideas, kids furniture but when it comes to quality kitchen tables and a bed for Dh and myself, I personally would not purchase there. But they do have decent products.

I guess I don't have the same high opinion of the quality of Ikea as a lot of other people. Dh and I joke that most of the Ikea furniture we've purchased over the years self-destructs after about 3 years. We gave up on Ikea bookshelves and dining tables after destroying a few (and that was mostly before kids or when we just had one relatively calm toddler).

Ikea stuff is *cheap*. It's usually good quality for the price -- but that doesn't mean it can compete with stuff that costs 3-4X as much.

We find that tables and things with legs from Ikea ten to get stripped and the legs become wobbly. It's good to really inspect the floor models (which usually take a lot of abuse), to see where the weaknesses may come out.

Also, if you're driving a significant way, you need to be aware that they'll often be out of various items. You may find exactly what you need, or you may find that what you want is out-of-stock and you've made the driving in vain...

My family definitely buys stuff at Ikea. We just don't expect the items we buy to last for more than about 3-5 years. And honestly, I probably wouldn't drive 250 miles for an Ikea. We were really happy when one opened here, but I wouldn't consider it worth that sort of drive (unless that 250 miles was on my way somewhere)...

The nearest to me is about 250 miles. I would do it in a heartbeat if I really thought I could make a purchase that day.

I know so many of you love Ikea. Besides being inexpensive, why do you like about it? Can furniture that cheap really be better than junk?

I'm looking at a kitchen table and a bed frame. As far as a table, we have vinyl (? I think) tile flooring, so a table can not be uneven or wobbly.

For some reason dh is more concerned about the quality of the bed. He wants to go look at these things first hand. Should we go?

Question two is not exactly about Ikea, but it is related to the furniture I am considering there. Is anyone here using a bedframe with a foam type mattress instead of a regular mattress and boxspring? I like the look of a simple, low style bed, and am considering this.

Thanks!

~Lisa

driven about 75mi to get to the nearest one - I really wonder if I would drive 250mi. The cost of gasoline would almost offset any savings.

We have a set of bookcases from IKEA and there was more we could/would buy some day. The furniture is laminated in various colors i.e maple, white, beech, birch etc.. It's not solid wood but in our house it works well. We don't have a lot of *museum pieces* of high caliber, I tend to concentrate more on functionality rather than long-term value. If you like to leave priceless furniture to your children and granchildren, IKEA would likely not be the place to look.

They do have a feature on their website to check inventory but we found this to be very haphazard. The chances that you get there and a popular item is gone, are good. Unless you have several things in mind, it could be an expensive trip.

Seems almost I have argued more against it than for it but I really like many of their items, I just don't like the way they manage sale through their website (only limited amount of things available) and shipping is borderline criminal.

Their agenda is definitely to get you inside a store.

I would not drive 250 miles to an Ikea and their shipping charges were outrageous, so I waited until they built one an hour away from here.

We bought kitchen cabinets and Billy bookcases. Those bookcases are great. They have not fallen apart. We use them as a pantry in the kitchen (with doors on them), and as regular bookcases. They can be anchored to the wall, and I like the added safety of that. You can purchase extra shelves for them too.

Here is a website at which you can ask any questions you like about the quality of various types of Ikea furniture, and owners will answer your questions:

http://www.ikeafans.com/

RC

I've had several Ikea beds. The first one is still going strong after 18 years and being moved a few times (it's currently dbil's). The others are 4 years old and have been moved once. The newer ones are American sizes so you can use normal sheets. We have a nice queen size bed and Ikea mattress/box combination. It's comfortable to sleep on and has held up well. The kids have twin size beds and a trundle. These were the absolute cheapest model with the cheapest mattresses. They're not bad especially since we paid $100 apiece for them. They've been abused a bit by the kids and haven't broken. I've slept on them more than a few times and have gotten a good night's sleep. Our kitchen table is Ikea. It wasn't one of the cheapest. It's real birch and has stood up well to daily, heavy use. The chairs we got with it were the $20 ladderbacks. They're still in use, but they do show their age (4 yrs) much more. I'm not sure I'd drive that far to an Ikea because you have to haul the furniture home.

My favorite Ikea item is the $150 sofa. Those are great! They're light enough to move around and they sell slipcovers for them so you can redecorate (or hide a stain) easily. We have two of them in our gameroom/schoolroom and we all love them. They've withstood active jumping during math facts remarkably well.:D

Our homeschool room is full of IKEA and we have been really happy with most items. It is not incredible quality at low prices but I covered a wall in bookcases with doors for under a $1000. Anywhere else would have easily been $2000+.

We have a wall of Billy Bookcases with various doors. Very good quality for the price. Out of about 12 bookcases we had one with a hole drilling problem, and one with a cosmetic problem. We have had no problem with the 12 doors (some of our bookcases don't have doors). One thing I like about the "Wall of Billys" is that I can move the doors around without moving the bookcases. If I decide to change the look of the room, I can easily do so by just changing the doors.

We have 2 desks with folding legs. Very sturdy, not wobbly at all, yet lightweight (I wouldn't let the kids sit on them or anything like that, but great for regular use).

We have 2 desk chairs. I had to return one, it was unusable with a manufacturer defect. The others are comfortable and sturdy (Stephano ? maybe)

We have a room divider that works great.

We have various desk items from there also and have been pleased with the quality. Just don't buy the unfinished, small, desk sized, wooden drawers that you have to assemble! They were a huge nightmare and had me cussing like a sailor.

When my sister comes to pickup my 3rd desk, we will be adding a small sofa couch.

The quality reminds me of the Sauder brand often seen in stores like Fred Meyer and Target. Most of their furniture is particle board with laminate, but a few nice things are the color options, multiple options in the same line, and the ease of assembly.

If you haven't been to an IKEA before I say grab a friend, split the gas, make a trip out of it and have a good time. You may call the store and ask them if there is a day that they receive the biggest shipments and are most likely to have a full warehouse. This time of year a lot of businesses run their inventory low to avoid paying tax on it. I would expect that maybe the week before spring break would be a good time. They may have a higher warehouse volume expecting more visitors on the days off.

They have a cheap breakfast and lunch so you don't have to worry about spending too much on food, or leaving to get lunch.

Measure every possible space you would want something to go! If you have a cell phone, take pictures of the rooms so you have a visual with you of the spaces you are looking at.

Take your digital camera to IKEA to snap pictures of the items you like but aren't buying that day. Right down item numbers too. Then when you go home you can assemble and order for next time and I think that you can order items on the phone and then go pick them up at a will call window.

and even have one within about 40 miles of me (I use to live 10 minutes from it) I'm not sure I would look there first especially if I had to drive further than an hour to get there. I do like their quality and have done pretty well with what we have bought there (couch, dressers, etc.) I would always look at Craiglist, freecycle, and our local yahoogroup yardsale lists first. I really think you could get as good quality as Ikea or better by people trying to get rid of their expensive stuff cheaply and staying in town reducing gas expenses.

If I couldn't find what I wanted/needed locally I would definitely consider Ikea.

Those are my thoughts.

When we lived in NC my husband, the kids and I drive 6 hours to the IKEA in Washington DC to get some more bookcases.

IKEA items we own:

Ten Billy bookcases-some of them we've had for 10 years and they've been moved 3 times, twice overseas.

The Ingo $50 dining table-we cut down the legs, painted it and use it as a school table.

Two of the Rast $40 small 3 drawer chests, they are currently painted black and being used as nightstands in my bedroom but they've been used in other ways in the past such as dressers in a baby room.

We also have 2 large 3 drawer dressers but I don't think they have those exact ones anymore.

The Mydal bunkbed-I think we've had this since our son was born..about 7 years-again, it's made 2 overseas moves (Germany to North Carolina then NC to Hawai'i) and is still sturdy.

The desk in my craft/school supply room is also from IKEA but I'm not sure which table-top and legs belong to it. It's also about 10 years old and I just don't recall for sure.

We have *several* (6 or 7?) of the Trofast storage systems with the plastic bins. They hold a ton of our toys, math manipulatives, random science stuff, construction toys, etc.

We also have tons of kitchen stuff, toys, random shelves, storage containers and more.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I will say that some of our super-cheap IKEA stuff (we even bought a lot of it in Germany when the dollar was strong so it was WAY cheap, chaper than the current price which is what I listed) has held up longer than furniture we paid a lot of money for.

ETA: Although some of the stuff is particlar board (such as the Billy bookcases) they are far more sturdy than lines like Sauder. We had some Sauder bookcases a long time ago and they *broke* the first time they were packed and moved. Also, a lot of the stuff we have (dressers, table, trofast, bunkbed, etc) is solid wood.

I love Ikea stuff, and we have quite a bit of it. My dc sleep in an Ikea bunk bed every night. It is true that some of their stuff is veneer over particle board, but some of it is solid wood (and some is metal like my dc's bunk bed). If you prefer solid wood, make sure you look for that.

My comment though, is that if you are driving a long way to the Ikea, make sure you check the stuff before you leave the store. More than once I've opened a package to find a corner of something chipped and once a broken board. In fact the computer desk I'm sitting at has a little chip off the top that was there when we bought it. We bought it at an Ikea near my sister's house which was a 5 hour drive away, so we never returned it.

They recently opened an Ikea near to us, about a 20 minute drive. When I returned a damaged item that I bought there, the woman at the return desk recommended that I open the replacement item and check it before I left. She pointed out that they actually have an area past check-out that is designed for people who want to open their boxes and make sure that everything looks ok inside. The tough part is getting everything back in the box when you are done.:)

Also, make sure you don't buy more than will fit in your car or van.

Jean

dissenting opinion, I guess. We went to Ikea recently when we were in Portland (OR) on a little weekend vacation. It was incredibly overwhelming to me - lots and lots of stuff, the store was a *maze* that was hard to get through, and very crowded. I felt panicky the whole time we were in there. Mind you, we live in a county that does not have even one stop light, LOL. I am not used to crowds.

We ended up buying some glassware and a couple of storage containers. The furniture was just not our style at all. We like more rustic, antique type furniture.

Overall, the trip was a bust for us - I will not enter an Ikea again if I can help it.

I love Ikea and have shopping there for years. Where we live now Ikea is two and a half hours away and yes I have made the Ikea trips. Something to note also is if your heart is set on a very specific item the check their computer to see if they have it in stock. If they do call and see if they can hold it for you even if you have to pay for it and go down for it and then return wouold be better than getting there and them not having it. Yes I have learned this the hard way. Ds has an ikea bed, I bought his sheets at there and I do need to get more of his sheets next time we go but since I usually have to sets per bed it is ok.

Thanks!

~Lisa

For the foam mattress, no, I wouldn't do it. The fumes that come out of a foam mattress do so for a very long time. NASTY. I can't stand the chemical smell.

Ikea is very cool, and I've driven an hour to one. They make good *cheap* furniture. And it's worth walking through an Ikea just to see how they use space in their little "rooms." But everything comes flat in a box, so make sure you have a plan to get the stuff home. (As others have said.)

I really like Ikea for ideas, not for purchasing items. I agree with a few of the others that the quality isn't fantastic. The ideas that they have for organization and making use of small spaces are great. I like walking through their "rooms" to get ideas for our home, but I buy things elsewhere.

BTW Stacy, this wasn't meant to be a direct response to what you said. :) I meant to respond to the OP and ended up posting in the wrong place.