Menu

Math U See for high school - any comments?

Good morning,

My dd is definately a lover of language (everything...she works on grammar for fun!). We are reviewing Algebra II programs for her junior year and would appreciate your advice. Our goal for her is to provide her with a well-rounded and solid math program but she definately doesn't need it to the degree my science loving son will need it. Would Math U See fit the bill?

She is completing Gemetry now with a tutor and has a strong B.

Thoughts and advice?

We used MUS from the start but once you get into High Schools years that's not really necessary. You can jump in anywhere. It's a good program. There are a couple of places where it really asks the student to stretch his mind especially if you use the honor books. We actually never used them because we just didn't have the time. My dd did very well on her SAT and ended up taking Calculus in College. She came out with the highest grade in class. I realize this won't be everyone's experience but it can be done. People are quick to say MUS is an inferior program because it doesn't prepare the student for college math and I disagree. I've heard many success stories and now have one of my own. If you like it, go for it. You will find that many people have opinions and most of those opinions are formed by people who have never used the program. This is true for many math programs not just MUS. It was very successful for us and it could be for you.

MUS was my program of choice for trigonometry (I think it's called PreCalculus now) as a bridge from Algebra II (A Beka) into Calculus I (Larson et al) for my older daughter. We finished it in the summer, and she did a beautiful job with Calc I at home. Then she started over at the College Algebra level in the CC, and is now a math major at the univeristy, with a 4.0 GPA, studying Advanced Calculus and Differential Equations this semester. :)

There are lots of ways to do math. The main thing is to do it, every day, and keep at it until you get it. :) Hire a tutor if you aren't math-minded yourself, and keep plugging away.

We've also been successful users of MUS! Our firstborn is soon to finish high school and used MUS from Kindergarten up through high school. She completed the Pre-Calculus book last year for her junior year. She took the SAT and scored very well (690) on the Math portion.

Susan,

Each lesson is really an unit. Each lesson has a dvd lesson to watch, 5 worksheets, and a quiz. We don't use the 5th worksheet (save it for review). There is a multiple lesson test after every 10-12 lessons. We watch the DVD and do worksheet #1 on Monday, WS #2 on Tues, #3 on Wed, # 4 on Thurs and do the quiz on Friday. Plus we use the Honors book, which has a worksheet for each lesson. We do that on Thursday too.

Cathie

Would someone mind explaining how a typical 'Lesson" is implemented? There are 30 lessons- are there several worksheets to complete with each lesson?

Susan

Another great option is TT. Their books are easy to jump into and very fun. While a lot of people complain that their books are less rigorous than others, they really help students understand the concepts, which is especially great for the young or non-math-enjoyers.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.