Menu

Greek programs for a 4th grader?

Alison in KY

I was thinking about using Hey Andrew or Elementary Greek. There are probably others out there that I haven't heard about. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm an organizationally challenged mom of 3 who knows nothing about Greek. I'm looking for something pretty easy and not to writing intensive. This would be for my wiggly not so academic (still wanting to play and not caring about a foreign language) 9 yr old son.

Alison in KY

I used Hey Andrew up through level 4. I really liked the program...gentle, but also challenging, cuz it's...well...Greek!

You would not need to know Greek, but you would need the Answer book.

Start him in Level 2. Level 1 spends the whole time on the Greek alphabet. Level 2 reviews this, and as a 9 yo, he should pick it up a lot faster than younger kids.

I also recommend the CD with the correct pronunciation sand the goofy songs.

I have never used any other Greek program, but for the elementary-school level, I do not hesitate to recommend Hey Andrew!

hth!

I have never used Hey, Andrew. My dd9 started with Greek Alphabet Code Cracker. This is a fun, gentle intro to the alphabet, nothing more...but it fueled my dd's interest in Greek and made her eager to move into Elementary Greek. Now she says Greek is her favorite subject. She's a strong student but she would rather play than anything else so I am very happy with these two programs and her enjoyment of them.

Carolyn

Hey Andrew has been super easy for us to do. We're about a third of the way through level 3 and started at level 1. You'll definitely be fine starting at level 2 since it reviews/teaches the whole alphabet (we skipped that since we had just finished level 1). We do a worksheet a day. It's amazingly gentle and so easy to teach. We're learning together and even my old brain is wrapping itself around it just fine.

Also, Classical Academic Press may release Greek for Children in time for you to use it in the fall. It's a new program for them but apparently will have a similar format as their Latin for Children if that might appeal. They put out the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker which we did as well; we liked Hey Andrew better for actually learning the alphabet but he enjoyed the Code Cracker book.

Greek for Children page

Thank you.

Are there any other Greek programs out there that are liked? It seemed like someone here gave me a teaser on one, but I don't know what program it was.

I really don't think there are. CAP will soon have our Greek for Children, and Galore Park is working on a Greek program, as well.

We use Elementary Greek, and are very pleased with it. Short lessons, clear explanations.

We're using Elementary Greek 2 this year and will move to 3 next year. We really like it! I bought myself a workbook too -- so 3 workbooks, 1 text, flash cards, and CD for us.

Are you planning to learn with him? It's definitely doable at this pace! I have found, though, that the kids memorize faster and easier than I do. We did spend a year on the alphabet and letter sounds first, but I don't think a whole year is necessary. This was ds' 2nd grade year, and we began EG1 in his 3rd grade.

For fourth grade, I'd use Elementary Greek. Both programs are gentle and easy to use, but Elementary Greek is a little more solid for older elementary age. Both programs have great service if you order from them directly. And Elementary Greek has a message board on their site if you have questions, but it is a slow board and you may not get answers immediately. I'm glad to help if you get stuck somewhere, too. I took Greek in seminary and taught with Hey Andrew (levels 1-5), Elementary Greek (all three levels) and now Hey Andrew for my first grader and Greek For All Ages for my sixth grader. :)

Tara