Menu

Is it puberty that makes 6th grade boys think they are such wits?

Or maybe I should say "nit-wits"!:glare: Ok - I posted before about ds11's history work. He is now answering his questions in complete sentences (thank you Laura Corin). But his answers are still fraught with sarcasm and middle-school wit. Do I just smile and let it go? He really does have the information down.

An example or two:

What key event of 1488 thwarted any hope of Columbus that King John of Portugal would finance his venture?

Bartholomew Dias found a way around Africa, so India was close at hand for cheap telemarketers and cheaper tea.

Which two important European regions failed to unite into cohesive nations during this era?

Germany and Italy needed a defrag. (Computer term, I think.)

Or maybe I should say "nit-wits"!:glare: Ok - I posted before about ds11's history work. He is now answering his questions in complete sentences (thank you Laura Corin). But his answers are still fraught with sarcasm and middle-school wit. Do I just smile and let it go? He really does have the information down.

An example or two:

What key event of 1488 thwarted any hope of Columbus that King John of Portugal would finance his venture?

Bartholomew Dias found a way around Africa, so India was close at hand for cheap telemarketers and cheaper tea.

Which two important European regions failed to unite into cohesive nations during this era?

wow, you are living with my 13 yr old son! He gets his answers correct but using modern teen speak while doing it exactly how you've described above! I'm ok with it as long as the sentence structure is correct, I understand the vernacular & if questioned he can pull out the proper answer for dad. Goofy, silly boys...:tongue_smilie:

[quote name=

An example or two:

After I finished laughing and telling him how funny he is.. I tell my 6th grade ds something like " I don't think they had telemarketers back then. Go erase that and use a more appropriate term." and then I remind him again how funny he is. That way he has to do it right, but it's not as painful for him.

Those answers are pretty darn witty. I have to admit my guys don't come up with anything like that; maybe because they know it wouldn't go over well? They definitely express their creative wit through freewriting and such, but I wouldn't go in for students giving sarcastic answers to straight-forward history questions.

As in "you must give me a straight forward answer to the questions. However, if you can write separate alternative answers that are funny, I will give you 2 points for each one that makes me laugh out loud."

I do think he needs to discipline himself to give normal answers, and I also think that it's just fabulous that he has such a lovely, intelligent sense of humor!

Thanks for the answers. You have made me feel better in one way about his answers. But at the same time I see Colleen and Danestress' point for giving normal "boring" answers. The reason I posted thread in the first place was the concern that he wouldn't get away with answers like that in a "real school". (But then I know a couple of Middle school teachers who always talk like that - so maybe he would!)

I don't blame him for trying to spice up the answers a bit...otherwise it'd be so BORING!

Perhaps you could tweak your assignments a bit so that they require more creativity.

Have him write a dialog between Columbus & King John using puns; maybe he could explain the reason Germany didn't unify using Haiku or something.

I once wrote an answer to a history question about Dred Scott in verse. I just couldn't stomach saying the same old stuff that I knew I knew and the teacher knew I knew one more time...