Menu

Tog users...2 weeks into 1 week possible??

Holly IN

Hello

We are starting yr 3 late late!!! Just finished up Yr 2. I would love to be done with Yr 3 in October. We will be schooling through summer on TOG. (I will be posting this on the TOG Loose group btw)

I think this can be done if I cram 2 weeks into 1 week every week. Is this possible? I know the readings will have to be cut down to one in each section (core, extra and literature) as well as projects will have to be selective on.

Any thoughts, comments or advice??

Holly

May I ask the ages of your children?? My concern is in the "rush" to get it done... you will stress yourself out. Year 3 has been such a great year plan. It would be like cramming for a test for 8 months....

You could combine some weeks, but I do not recommend combining as much as you want to. It can take the joy and pleasure out of it....

If you can tell me your kids level that would help me a bit more.... as for offering suggestions.... I will be glad to try and help. :)

To answer everybody's questions:

My reasons are: I want my son to start his high school years with Yr 1 done in Freshman year. I know it doesn't matter but for my sanity's sake I think it is better that way. If you do not think so then please tell me why it doesn't matter. I would love to hear ALL comments.

My kids ages: I really do need to add these to my signature line if I can figure it out. Here are the ages: 13 yr old boy (7th grader), 10 yr old boy

(4th grader), 8 yr old girl (1st grader....she is special needs so she is at 1st grade level so to speak).

I welcome all suggestions. If it is not doable to cram 2 weeks into 1 week every week then what weeks are doable to cram into?

Karenciavo...I didn't realize from now to October are 35 weeks. hhmmm that changes things a bit for me. However the earlier the better. I will look ahead a bit but if you know of what weeks are good for combining then please do tell. I will start with weeks 1 and 2 as a combo then go from there.

Thanks guys!!

Holly

We have condensed a few weeks and have cut a few things due to illness and the death of my bil. The only reason we did this is that we have been stalled in the third year rotation for a couple of years now. Tapestry has finally gotten us on track.

Some of our children are close in grades, so I understand wanting to be "on track for highschool. But you will not always be able to start every highschooler in your house with Y1.

Here are my thoughts.

Year 3 is a lot of fun with a lot of weeks that are packed full of information. I would not be able to combine most weeks without feeling like I was just trying to get through the information instead of really giving my children time to read/think/write.

As far as your sanity. If you feel like you will be off by not starting at the beginning in highschool, I would read WTM about starting in the middle. Susan and Jessie make some good points about how some of the literature in the Ancients rotation is better for some students to read later in highschool.

I hope this helps.

Holly,

I am only on week 6, but to date the weeks have been really full. I have had to skim a lot of the material to keep to one week. The possible exception are week 1, because it is so much review could probably go with week 2, which I don't remember as being heavy. Week 4 and 5 were both heavy weeks. Week 6 has quite a bit review (constitution), the only new is the addition of the supreme court, so that MIGHT be able to be condensed with week 7...because it is covering the Jefferson Presidency, which was touched on in the Napoleon weeks. It also covers the Lewis and Clark Expedition, so that could also be too much.

I do understand the need to try to finish on year 4. For me it is not as much as finishing on cycle but doubting that they kids can adequately grasp Government while they are younger. Given my kids are so closely spaced, there is no way for me to avoid it, so I have just accepted the fact that I may have to add a separate government program as review.

For me the biggest argument for now rushing is that you don't know what the future holds. You could rush through this just to have some other situation mess it all up again, then what was the value of your rushing? In the end I really think it is better to just do what you are doing now well, and deal with the future as it comes.

Heather

Wow

Thanks guys!!! I love these comments and suggestions. Ok after reading and thinking on the comments you have convinced me to just let it go and let the course flow the way it is designed. We will combine week 1 and 2 then go as indicated in TOG.

Thanks!

Holly

My reasons are: I want my son to start his high school years with Yr 1 done in Freshman year. I know it doesn't matter but for my sanity's sake I think it is better that way. If you do not think so then please tell me why it doesn't matter. I would love to hear ALL comments.

Hi Holly,

Considering that there are plenty of weeks between now and October for you to complete Year 3 in the allotted time, this may be moot.

You say that you want your ds to complete Years 1-4 in order of years of schooling. However, how many credits of history does your state require for graduation? Mine only requires 3 credits of history, so technically, I don't *have* to do 4 years of history if I don't choose to. My second dd completed her senior year of high school by taking courses at our local community college in order to complete the needed credits for graduation. We had a brand new baby and a kindergartener plus a 1st grader that year, in addition to our dialectic level boys. I just didn't want to have to be responsible for her classload that year. It worked out fine and she was able to secure credits for *both* high school *and* college.

Also, with TOG (and this may or may not be an issue for you), our oversight group would not allow me to count only Year 3 or Year 4 as American history. For a full American history credit (using TOG) my kids have to complete both Years 3 and 4. They do get 2 full credits, but to have the required American history, this is how we must do it. Since we only *need* 3 history credits, if I were to start my freshman with Year 1, I'd *have* to do all 4 years and one of those years would end up counting as an elective. I'm not saying that this is bad, but it may not be optimal.

Wow

Thanks guys!!! I love these comments and suggestions. Ok after reading and thinking on the comments you have convinced me to just let it go and let the course flow the way it is designed. We will combine week 1 and 2 then go as indicated in TOG.

Thanks!

Holly

Good for you Holly! You will enjoy year 3! It really is a great year plan! We are taking it slower than we ever have, but its been good for us.

Enjoy the journey!

Lisa~