Menu

college admits

kate in seattle

Kate- Which one is he going to pick? The reason I was asking is that the appointee breakfast for incoming USAFA freshman is going to be held on June 6. (at Mcchord) The website is USAFAPAWS.com (I think) which is the parents association for Washington State. We might be there- our dd is graduating in May. They mix and match the parents and children with upperclassman and parents of upperclassman--they can ask questions without their parents listening, and vice versa. Anyway the parent group are all very nice folks. We hosted last week in Seattle, but it rotates to different homes. We were the first homeschool parents, but there has been at least one HS family in each class. When we went to the first meeting 4 years ago you should have seen the look on some of the parents faces when they saw that homeschooled kids could get in! I think there's a lot of folks who never thought they would even meet a homeschooled family! But now the homeschooling parents are very active and visible-- one is the president for next year and has just wonderful people skills. We would be so excited to welcome in a new family. Anyway, some years not all of the parents hear about the meeting in time --depends on your ALO--evidently with the privacy act the names were not forwarded automatically to the state associations. (which is a shame, really) Anyway, the website has a lot of news! Best wishes for your son's future!

Kate- Which one is he going to pick? The reason I was asking is that the appointee breakfast for incoming USAFA freshman is going to be held on June 6. (at Mcchord) The website is USAFAPAWS.com (I think) which is the parents association for Washington State. We might be there- our dd is graduating in May. Anyway, the website has a lot of news! Best wishes for your son's future!

Nancy, thanks for the info.

we are planning to attend the breakfast - i saw it at the website.

I am a very hands-off mother of teens. While I supported and encouraged Alex's interest, he handled all the application details himself. I wrote a counselor letter and a school report. I didn't read up on the Academy, or about Cadet life or anything. Then when he got his offer of appointment I plunged in. Wow! I am really looking forward to meeting other parents - i'm amazed at how many of my friends look at me and say "are you 'okay' with that?' YES, I am THRILLED! It is such an honor and achievement.

Congrats to your daughter on her rapidly approaching graduation.

We are very blessed to have very close family friends who live in the Springs - we will never have to rent a hotel room! we are planning on going to Parent's Weekend.

Kate in Seattle