Menu

Need spelling curriculum help and recommendation

AprilTN

I am not satisfied with my choice for spelling curriculum for my 1st grader. For example, this week her words are:

became become before belong beyond begin began begun below beware behold between behind betray behave befriend believe because beside behalf

The commonality is that they all begin with be-, which they teach as a prefix, and I'm not certain that all of these words are actually roots with a prefix be- anyway.

But the real concern is that they are all over the place with the words. "au" "old" "ore" "ware" "ind" "ieve" .

I hope I'm making sense. Is there a curriculum that you can recommend where the lists are according to spelling rules?

Thanks!

I am not satisfied with my choice for spelling curriculum for my 1st grader. For example, this week her words are:

became become before belong beyond begin began begun below beware behold between behind betray behave befriend believe because beside behalf

Which spelling program are you using? Those words look quite difficult for a first grade spelling list, and I agree that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the words being grouped together, except that they all begin with "be."

I would switch to something else, too!

We used BJU Spelling for 1st - 3rd grades, but if your dd is accustomed to words like, "befriend" in first grade, BJU will probably be far too easy for her.

Cat

Here are some free and cheap resources that I like, Pollard's Advanced Speller is probably the best fit on my list for what you're describing, or Gayle Graham's method may work:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

and some more free old spelling books from Don Potter:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/spelling_books.html

Edited by ElizabethB