Menu

On the waiting list--When are students typically notified if they got in?

Chris in VA

DD was waitlisted. She was told to return a postcard indicating her interest. She called their office a few times and was encouraged to write a letter etc. to show her real interest and mail it in. I am guessing they asked her to do that end of May. I think they told her she'd know the answer middle of June, but she was called earlier than what they told her (beg. of June?). We added several insider letters of recommendation and she wrote a very strong letter. This was after we decided she was giving it her all, but that she'd only be able to go if she got a great financial aid package. She handdelivered the letter, btw.

Dd was expecting to go to the place where we paid the $750 deposit (money lost), but the wait-listed place was her top-notch preference (and mine). They called her and asked her to contact financial aid that day or next if she was going to possibly accept. She got the offer with monies later that day in her email. The essentially made her an offer she couldn't reject, time being of the essence at this point.

Did I answer your question? Point is you have to accept somewhere else. They work on their own timeline. She wrote an emphatic letter to BU, asking for her deposit down, but of course got that turned down. She also missed the acceptance dinner etc. at her eventual college, but has made up for that big time!!!!

Ds has been notified unofficially that he is on the waiting list for his college of choice. Any idea when kids typically find out if they got in? They are supposed to be notified in March if they made it (those not being wait-listed). I'm thinking April or May?

I am an admissions liason for my alma mater (US Naval Academy). Last spring, I had a candidate who was intitially turned down, then finally wait listed after several calls from me and my area coordinator. He didn't get an official offer until June. He reported for summer training about 3 weeks after getting his offer.

My teen received word of being on a waiting list. As osmosis Mom said, she will need to return a postcard indicating whether she would like to stay on the waiting list. She was also encouraged to send in additional information if truly interested.

The letter indicated that she might hear anytime after May 1. She would definitely be contacted by late May (at which point I'm guessing they would say that they no longer had any available slots).

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

If fin aid isn't an issue, then this post is irrelevant, but you might want to find out if wait-listed students at your son's school are considered for financial aid.

I've read several articles recently that said that at least some colleges students accepted off the waitlist are not considered for financial aid.

http://http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/education/31college.html?_r=1

This was graduate school, he had called weekly through tht summer to remind them of his interest : ) and when someone simply did not show up, they called him. He jumped in the car with his handful of possessions and arrived within 24 hours.

It depends on the school. I know you've probably heard it before but if it is a very desired school keep gently reminding them of your interest. I can pay off.