Menu

vocabulary from classical roots

WTMindy

We don't use the teacher key or the tests. (I didn't even realize that there were teachers guides and tests:001_smile:) Now, my oldest son is just in 5th grade, so he's using the grade 5 level. I'm not sure how challenging the upper levels get. I checked out their website a bit, and it looks like you can view sample pages. (You can google Vocabulary from Classical Roots, and it should bring you to the site.) Here's what we do... I have him read over the words for that week, work through the exercises day by day, and at the end of the week we do a little spelling test that includes words from that week, plus challenge words. He also needs to tell me the meaning of the roots studied that week. Doing it this way has worked for us. As dc learns different roots, you could play games with that to see how much they are retaining. Hope this helps.

Hi Mindy,

The teacher's guides contain answer keys and a glossary of literary terms and historical references. I have found them to be useful.

When my son started VfCR, I also purchased the tests. Given that my son had attended a Montessori school through sixth grade which did not emphasize testing, I thought it was good for him to learn how to take multiple choice tests. I think I bought the test booklets for Books A and B, then did not bother anymore. He did not need the tests. There is a review after every two sections. In the review there are some fill in the blank kinds of questions as well as assignments for paragraph writing that incorporate the new vocabulary. These were sufficient and preferable for us.

Jane

ETA: My son used this program for books A - E; I'm not familiar with the lower level.

Edited by Jane in NC
additional info