Menu

Encyclopedia Brown books for a 6 almost 7 yo?

Jennefer@SSA

I am trying to find new books to get my ds6 off of Magic Tree House. These are too easy for him but I have yet to find another series to capture his attention like these have.

I remember loving these when I was in school but when I looked them up on Amazon they say for 9-12 year olds. Is 6/7 too young if your child is a strong reader? Are there themes for older kiddos? I can't remember that far back!

Thanks so much in advance

Exactly the path my son took--thank goodness. He wouldn't look at a THING while he was reading MTH until we found Encyclopedia Brown. He was older--but the reading ability is about the same. (I hope).

They are very very short little "stories"--if you make your son really think about what the answer could be, they're pre-logic books, too. (Though sometimes the answers depend on having more information, so don't let it worry you.) Great books.

My son is 8 - has been reading them all year. If he is a good reader, I would say try them - maybe have him read a few paragraphs aloud every now and then to check if he is having trouble reading them? As for themes, I loved these as a child, have not read them in years, but I do not remember any older themes - usually they are all the same, the bully or cheat pulls one over on everyone except EB, who solves the case and stops the other kids. It is the one "twaddle" series that I have allowed him to read (well, that and boxcar children :)

I think that Encyclopedia Brown is a big jump from MTH, particularly if you are looking for independent reading. I would look on the Reading Counts site to find several things with a reading level between 3-3.9 and a Lexile level between 400 and 500 before attempting Encyclopedia.

I wanted dd to love them, because I always did! But I guess the stories demanded too much logical thinking for her. She could easily read them, but couldn't solve the cases, so she gave up after about the 3rd story. YMMV!

But she loves Nancy Drew--maybe Hardy Boys for your son? There are lots of Sonlight readers that are appropriate,too--Chalkbox Kid, Tornado, Dolphin Adventure/Treasure--they may even be too easy.

sorry, not much help here.

I tried them with my DD at that age but she couldn't figure out the mysteries. She found it frustrating. I put them up until she was almost 8yo. She read them one after the other and loved them. So part of it depends on their mental reasoning level and not just their reading level.

Have you tried Boxcar children?