Menu

Electronics kits? "Fancier" than snap circuits, please

Hoggirl

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but when I was a kid, I found an electronics kit (Radio Shack, I think) at a yard sale ... and fell in love. I had so much fun with it I went out and bought a newer model to increase the range of things I could do. It had everything from morse code telegraphs to doorbells to lie detectors to water level detectors. There were a lot of components attached to a board (heavy cardboard, actually), with springs that you would then wire together in the appropriate configuration based on the manual.

These days they come with fancy LCD screens and stuff, and may not be quite the same, but there's nothing quite like a handful of wires and batteries and bulbs and resistors and things. Check out some of the 100-in-1 or 30-in-1 type Electronic Kits at places like Radio Shack and see if that is what you are looking for.

Another option would be to hit up the really old science books at your library, and just buy random parts from an electronics store. They had cool projects back in the days when the Apples and TIs and Commodores were popular ... I recall one kids' computer book talking about rewiring your home PC to direct your radio controlled cars. LOL.

My ds has expressed an interest in learning about electronics. Does anyone know of some kits that are "experiment" like that teach about "real life" (whatever that is! :lol:) electronics? Does Home Science Tools carry anything like this?

Don't know how old your son is but you might want to investigate whether your local 4-H office offers any programs. In my neck of the woods, there is an annual 4-H electric project which my now seventeen year old son teaches to preteens and younger teens. I can't tell you how many kids have learned to solder under his guidance. 4-H produces an entire electric curriculum (check it out here) which our 4-H office use to distribute for free. That is probably no longer the case with budgets as they are.

Make magazine and the Make blog have loads of project ideas for a more advanced student.

I got my son this book: http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Gadgets-Gizmos-Battery-Powered-Buildable/dp/1550744399

And got him everything in the book needed to do most of the experiments (motors and buzzers found at radio shack). It's a little more "real" to him than snap circuits. You could probably do the same with any book you find on electronics.

Beth