Menu

Has anybody been able to resolve an allergy to soft contacts or solution?

I've worn gas perm. lenses since 5th grade, no problems. Several months ago I switched to soft lenses (various reasons). They were great for about 2 weeks. Then my eyes started looking extremely red when I would wear them and this effect would continue for a day or so after removing them, gradually fading.

My eye doc thinks it is the solution, but I've tried a couple of other ones with the same result. I got so tired of dealing with it that I gave up and have been wearing my glasses for months.

I think I'm ready to experiment again. Hoping someone in the hive could offer some their suggestions/experience. Thanks!

Something quite similar (although more horrible) happened to me. I had to stop wearing contacts for a while, and then I tried some that were made of a completely different substance (Oasys instead of Acuvue). That worked OK, and just recently I switched to daily wear, which works even better.

This could be a reaction to protein build up on the lens. I developed this sensitivity in my 20's after wearing contacts for about 10 years. Now, I can only use Clear Care - a hydrogen peroxide type solution. (there is another brand of this type solution, but I can't remember the name). You put your contacts in a special cup each night with the Clear Care solution and a special metal disc. The solution reacts with the disc and bubbles while it cleans your contacts. This is the only way my sister and I can wear contacts. WARNING - NEVER put Clear Care in your eye; it is neutralized by its reaction with the metal disc, but before that it will sting like fire if it touches your eye.

This solution is a bit more expensive and sometimes hard to find. I usually buy it at Walmart, but it is always on the bottom shelf and not in plain sight. Make sure the box you buy has the cup and disc included. Also, check with your Dr. first. :)

HTH,

Leanna

The trick is to not use solution at all. None of them are good. I'm 45; been wearing contacts since I was 13.

The only thing I've found that doesn't irritate my eyes is sterile saline. Equate used to make one, but they stopped. Lens Plus was the brand name, but they don't make that anymore either :glare:

Now I use Unisol (sold in 4-pack bottles) or the CVS knock-off of Unisol. It's the only truly STERILE SALINE I've been able to find. Don't fall for those "preservative-free" saline SOLUTIONS. That isn't what you're looking for. You want preservative free, sterile SALINE.

The down-side is you need to change contacts frequently. I use the short-term, disposable ones (you're supposed to wear a pair for no longer than 2 weeks, but due to cost, I stretch them out as far as I can!! I'm talking like at least a month/pair. No problems so far!!).

Good luck!!

This could be a reaction to protein build up on the lens. I developed this sensitivity in my 20's after wearing contacts for about 10 years. Now, I can only use Clear Care - a hydrogen peroxide type solution. (there is another brand of this type solution, but I can't remember the name). You put your contacts in a special cup each night with the Clear Care solution and a special metal disc. The solution reacts with the disc and bubbles while it cleans your contacts. This is the only way my sister and I can wear contacts. WARNING - NEVER put Clear Care in your eye; it is neutralized by its reaction with the metal disc, but before that it will sting like fire if it touches your eye.

This solution is a bit more expensive and sometimes hard to find. I usually buy it at Walmart, but it is always on the bottom shelf and not in plain sight. Make sure the box you buy has the cup and disc included. Also, check with your Dr. first. :)

HTH,

Leanna

My doctor mentioned this...sounded kind of hard to deal with. How do you get the contact in your eye...does it have solution on it still?

The trick is to not use solution at all. None of them are good. I'm 45; been wearing contacts since I was 13.

The only thing I've found that doesn't irritate my eyes is sterile saline. Equate used to make one, but they stopped. Lens Plus was the brand name, but they don't make that anymore either :glare:

Now I use Unisol (sold in 4-pack bottles) or the CVS knock-off of Unisol. It's the only truly STERILE SALINE I've been able to find. Don't fall for those "preservative-free" saline SOLUTIONS. That isn't what you're looking for. You want preservative free, sterile SALINE.

The down-side is you need to change contacts frequently. I use the short-term, disposable ones (you're supposed to wear a pair for no longer than 2 weeks, but due to cost, I stretch them out as far as I can!! I'm talking like at least a month/pair. No problems so far!!).

Good luck!!

Why don't doctors suggest sterile saline?

The hydrogen peroxide solutions neutralize as they react with the metal disc, so the solution will not burn your eyes after the contacts have been in the cup overnight. I still use a saline solution (Unisol - as mentioned by another poster) to rinse the contacts before I put them in my eye. You just need to allow at least 6 hours for the neutralization reaction to complete. It's a little more trouble than just putting them in a case, but it's the only way I can wear contacts. Hey! it's a great chemistry lesson for your homeschool. :)

Leanna

Apparently I know nothing about soft lenses...what are dailies? And how do they differ from other types?

The kind I had I took out every night, but I used the same pair for 2 weeks at a time.

The daily wear contacts are only good for one day. They're really flimsy. They come in packs of 30 and you're always having to go get more.

The upside to this is that they're always new and fresh, which for me at least is a big plus. With the ones that lasted a week, I really felt the deterioration for some reason--the older they were, the quicker my eyes got tired. I could only wear them about half-time. I can wear dailies all day and not mind it at all.