Menu

Is anyone going to attend MACHE in Duluth this year?

I am considering it. I mainly want to look at the vendors, also. I really like to just browse and flip through the books. I tend to over buy at the conference though. My dh doesn't want to go and I am really having a hard time justifying the cost just to look at books.

I am still going back and forth about it.

I am thinking the cost may be worth it just so I can see some of this stuff hands on, kwim? I know I want to make some curriculum changes but I am really nervous about spending the money without actually touching it. Fortunately, if I don't like anything I am only out the registration fee. I live in town so I won't have to eat or find a room or anything. Also if I go on Friday then I can make some choice and go back on Sat to buy after sleeping on it. It would be my first as we seem to have been moving at the wrong times last year so I missed them everywhere I went.

Melissa

I would probably do it if I lived in Duluth and was going on my own.

I would have the cost of a hotel stay, plus I really would like to bring my dc so they can look and have some say in what we purchase so that would be another $60. Then there is food. I would be over $200 just for me to walk in the door :( I can buy a lot of books for that much money.

It is fun to actually look at the different curriculums/books though, so that is why I haven't completely ruled it out yet.

I hadn't thought about how I would want my dd to look at things. Ds 7 would be happy just to stay home with his 18yo brother. I just don't know that I could make the decision to switch curriculums without seeing and touching. How far do you have to come to get here? Could you do it all in one day so that you don't have to have hotel expenses? We are in the middle of remodeling or I would invite you to hang out here. My kitchen should be done by then and I am close enough to the decc that we could do lunch at my house if you would like.

Melissa

I am planning on going, but this is our first year homeschooling so I can't say I have any experience with the MACHE conferences. I do have friends who have gone for several years and have enjoyed it.

But I also love Duluth and look for just about any excuse to get up there. :)

This is my first winter in Duluth and I am about to freeze my bippy off up here! I am excited that it is so close to me as it seems everything I have to do involves going to the cities. I am hoping to see some WTMers as it seems the homeschool group up here is mainly unschoolers and so don't always understand what I am doing.

Melissa

I hadn't thought about how I would want my dd to look at things. Ds 7 would be happy just to stay home with his 18yo brother. I just don't know that I could make the decision to switch curriculums without seeing and touching. How far do you have to come to get here? Could you do it all in one day so that you don't have to have hotel expenses? We are in the middle of remodeling or I would invite you to hang out here. My kitchen should be done by then and I am close enough to the decc that we could do lunch at my house if you would like.

Melissa

My dc are 11 & 13 and it seems that what I like usually is not what they like. I have asked for their input the past few years, but as you said when you can't look at the curriculum before purchasing you just don't know for sure if it will work. I think they would have fun browsing the vendors and taking more ownership in the decision making process.

We are about 2 hours from Duluth, so it would be possible to do in 1 day. There are 2 workshop sessions I would like to go to and, of course, one is Friday and one is Saturday. I do like spending both days though so I can take my time and not feel rushed. Sometimes even two days doesn't feel like enough time. :)

I will make my final decision before the mail-in pre-registration date as I don't want to have to pay extra at the door.

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Definitely since it's here in our 'backyard'! My mom's real excited to go again, too. I love the renewing of the spirit aspect, tho I usually come home with an armload of books. :)

When I was a newer hser, going and seeing all the books I'd been reading about was perfect for me. It knocked a lot of titles off of my 'think I'd like to get this' list!

MN CORE isn't having their conference this year in March since MACHE will be up here. Just a booksale this year, then their conference again next year.

I just got this from the Duluth CORE group and thought maybe someone might be interested. I don't qualify but someone here sure could.

"This was a note passed on re MACHE conference coming in April to DUluth

Just FYI,

If you're interested in volunteering for the MACHE conference and

getting entrance fee waived you need to call 1-866-717-9070. The

requirements are 5 hours of volunteering; you need to be a current

MACHE member; and you need to have attended a MACHE conference in the

past."

I will be sending in my registration in the next couple of weeks.

Melissa

I've gone the last four years and found it really is worth it to see all the items the vendors are offering. It helps, though, to make a list of what you are looking for and try to stick to that list. At least with me, I end up spending more than I planned! :D

I've been to the MACHE conference in Duluth, and I really enjoyed it. Not as many people attend this one as in St. Paul (of course) and even Rochester. I am also a short two-hour jaunt from Duluth, so it's easier for me than Rochester! Everything is really close to the venue, too

Anyone interested in a meet and greet if you are going? It would be fun to meet faces from this group.

And btw, what is MNCore? I've never heard of it. I've only heard of MACHE, MHA, YEAH and ECHO. Also, for the people wanting to look at homeschooling materials, there is a new homeschooling store in Elk River called Hepner and Hepner Legacy Homeschool Resources. They also have a site at: http://www.legacyhomeschool.com/

I have never been to the Duluth Mache, but I have been to Rochester 2x. It is a great conference. One thing I like is the used curric and books. They have some moms that sell their stuff and also used book dealers. The speakers are always good, but I mostly hang out in the curric hall and drool over all the stuff. I can't go this year, but plan to go to the next one.

Have a great day,

Katy

• 2 months later...

I will be there! MACHE is my dh and I's yearly "getaway", it's not Hawaii but we still get to be alone! I just heard the keynote, Jeff Myers on the radio yesterday and it sounded good. Some of the keynotes I have skipped in the past. I really liked Jay Wile (Apologia Science) when he was there. My favorite thing is the huge used curriculum sale. I will be there early! Should I put a big WTM on my forehead?:D

Hey it may not be Hawaii but it was sixty yesterday!! Ok so I still have a bit of snow in the backyard but I will take the sixty and be happy. Today is suppose to be gloomy but I am hoping for better weather for the weekend. So I am excited to go shopping it is my main reason for going but judging from my list of gotta haves and sees I will be packing a serious load. Are we allowed to bring a small roller suitcase or a back pack on wheels or will I just be making a lot of trips to the car. Dh will probably meet me during his lunch so he will get to play pack mule too.

We need a WTM pin or something!!!

I don't think they allow anything on wheels, including strollers :glare:. The first Mache I attended my youngest was in the infant carseat (she wouldn't do the Snugli thing) so needless to say my arms got really tired carrying her all over the St. Paul River Center!

Happy shopping but plan on parking closeby!

I was afraid of that. Will vendors hold the stuff you buy from them and you can keep shopping? I am getting so excited. On Friday I have to go while ds is home so he can watch the littles and I can have the car. I have a four hour window and then he will need the car to head to his next class. Too bad they don't sell cheap cars there too! I am getting tired of sharing when he is in class!

I can't wait! I love wandering the vendor hall and checking out the books, kits, curriculum, etc.

My dh and dc are also attending, but will probably go do some sight-seeing for a while in the afternoon on both days (dh can only take so much of wandering the vendor hall and listening to workshops).

I have a list of things I want to look at, but I also want to give my dc an opportunity to browse and see what strikes their fancy.