Menu

Any good ideas for a guest book?

We get quite a few family and friends visit us while we are boiling down our maple sap into maple syrup. Any good ideas for a guests to write their names on? I was thinking of a big slice of a tree, but that would only last a short period of time as it would fill up pretty quick. Any other ideas?

We get quite a few family and friends visit us while we are boiling down our maple sap into maple syrup. Any good ideas for a guests to write their names on? I was thinking of a big slice of a tree, but that would only last a short period of time as it would fill up pretty quick. Any other ideas?

I went to a Dodger themed wedding (it was a BLAST,even the reception was a snack shack!) anyway,their guest book was a baseball bat! I'm thinking somehthing along the lines of a huge (fake) pancake, or bucket (the kind you'd tap the tree with) would be fun. I'd use something maple related.

We use a ship's logbook for a sailboat. Is there some kind of a register or logbook or blank recipe book that would have some relationship to sugaring or to trees or to cooking?

Or a blank book with thin slices of tree to decorate the front.

How about using a standard notebook or log book, but store it & some pens in a bucket? Could you use one of the taps as a hook for hanging your bucket in your entryway or somewhere that is a central location for the notebook?

If you're feeling really creative, perhaps you could create a custom graphic to glue to the front of your notebook -- I'm picturing you writing in the snow w/ syrup, then photographing the words & using those for the front cover. Of course, I'm not the one doing it, so it's easy for me to dream up all sorts of complex ideas. ;)

Do you know anyone who does rough or hand shone mill work?

If you could get a long, vertical, rough cut of a maple tree, have it either rough (tough to sign) or sanded smooth in the middle, leaving the outside rough, with the bark on. Maybe have the year engraved or burned into it, then have the visitors sign it. Then you could hang each years plank on the sugaring room (is that the right term?) like they hang surf boards on walls.

I could also see having a large branch cleared of its bark, and signed in the same manner.

An actual tree (sadly dead of course) stood up in the corner of the room, with a tap in it for detail, debarked, varnished and signed. If it is big enough have people sign with the year and you can maybe just add to it year after year until it is full.

It may be best to even have a light layer of varnish on the wood where people would sign, to help the ink stay on the surface and keep insects from damaging it.