Menu

Malibu Pilates, anyone???

I just bought a Malibu Pilates machine on eBay, including the Accelerated Results package. I paid under $150.00 for it, and shipping was free, so I think it was a good deal. (I hope it's authentic -- I intentionally chose a seller with over 700 feedbacks, with 100% of them being positive, so I think I'm safe.)

Anyway, I have seen these things on the infomercial and on HSN with Susan Lucci, and I like the idea that it's not a huge piece of equipment. I've BTDT, with a huge treadmill, Total Gym, Health Rider thing, and some other gigantic weight machine that DH bought for us (although at least that thing made a handy coat rack!)

The set I bought comes with several DVDs... BUT... are the workouts good? I think the machine itself will be sturdy enough, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced good results from the workouts. I'm in halfway decent shape and have done Pilates in the past, but at this point in my life, I'm no athlete, and I have no interest in lifting heavy or killing myself with high intensity cardio. I would probably describe myself as being at a Leslie Sansone level of fitness, and I'm not overweight, nor do I have any current injuries.

Any opinions about whether or not I just made a good purchase?

THANKS!

I am borrowing my neighbor's malibu pilates machine and I like it very much. Have you gotten the actual machine yet? It is a bench with a lever with two heavy duty springs that provide resistance. It is able to be folded up but our experience has been that it is a lot easier if you can keep it set up in a more out-of-the-way place. The putting up and taking down is a bit of a pain for me.

There are 3 DVDs that come with it (at least what my neighbor gave me).

1. a beginners "20 min. make-over" DVD that also has a section on how to use the machine properly. This is what I use. I'm not fit and have muscle problems so I've had to ease myself into doing the whole DVD.

2. A 30 min. work-out that I plan to try on Monday.

3. A 45 min. sculpting work-out that my dh uses. He does not like exercise DVDs and had been skeptical at how much of a work-out he could get on this machine (he's fit) but he likes this. His chiropractor likes this too.

Thanks, Jean -- I'm not exactly in Olympic athlete-shape, either, so it's good to know that the exercises are do-able, at least on the first DVD!

The set I ordered comes with the Accelerated Results package, which is basically some sort of vertical handle-things that attach to the sides of the machine, plus 2 more DVDs (in addition to the 3 DVDs that come with the regular package.) I can't really describe the handles, but they look kind of cool on the MalibuPilates.com website.

I priced the machine in a few places, and it's 299.00 on HSN for the basic package, and the Malibu Pilates site sells the basic package for 299.00 plus an extra 69.00 for the Accelerated Results package (or something like that -- those infomercial sites are a real nuisance to navigate, and they always make it sound like things are cheaper than they turn out to be when you order!)

I mostly bought it because I wanted something that's not too huge -- we've already got a recumbent exercise bike in the family room, and I didn't want another big thing in there.

Thanks again, Jean!

Cat