Menu

If you're considering Cambridge, look at this first

Penny

Latin in the New Millinnium

If I were to do it over again, I'd seriously consider this program. Too bad we're already too far along! It seems to have the best of a reading program and a grammar program. It is beautiful.

Penny

It looks very similiar to Lively Latin, as a matter of fact. There's not quite the direct and immediate translation required, but the use of cultural materials is similiar and even the grammar is presented in the same order and manner. I would love this program for myself!

LL is a much slower pace, however. Thank goodness!

I just can't get too excited about this. But I'm an antiquarian by avocation. I'll stick to older, less flashy, less expensive methods.

Although B-C's promotion of a Latin language guild in World of Warcraft is almost enough to get me to sign up and play. :)

I just can't get too excited about this. But I'm an antiquarian by avocation. I'll stick to older, less flashy, less expensive methods.

If you're an antiquarian, you might like Latin for the New Millennium. The first volume includes readings based on Plautus, Cicero, Caesar, Catullus, Nepos, Sallust, Vergil, Livy, Horace, Ovid, Seneca, Pliny, Tacitus, Apuleius, Ammianus, Augustine, and Boethius. In other words, each chapter includes a reading based upon an ancient author. The really clever spin here is that these readings are set up chronologically by author, so that students experience a thousand year's worth of Latin literature.

It looks very similiar to Lively Latin, as a matter of fact.

Lively Latin is an elementary school level program.

LNM Level 1 and Level 2 are two full year's of high school Latin. Level 1 covers all five declensions, all four conjugations (all tenses, active and passive voices, etc.)

Latinteach,

Thanks. I'll hang tight with Lillian Hines Our Latin Heritage and Oerberg's Lingua Latina for the time being. :)

I wish the LfNM project well, especially if all those resources help institutional schools and homeschoolers teach more people good Latin.

In spite of a healthy survey of Latin authors, I'll admit the production values are a huge turn off for me. YMMV.

But I might take a look at it for a co-op situation. The electronic resources alone would make sense for such a situation.

LNM Level 1 and Level 2 are two full year's of high school Latin. Level 1 covers all five declensions, all four conjugations (all tenses, active and passive voices, etc.) Today 10:33 AM
Good point.

I wouldn't want an elementary program to cover that much material in a year! Yikes. At least I don't think I would.

This clearly is a high school approach, isn't it?

The OP was comparing it to Cambridge--that isn't a high school approach, too, is it?

I've been looking at and comparing Latin programs in the last couple of days and appreciate your input, Latinteach!

Researching a Latin program from my position is such a quagmire.

I'm not sure what you mean by production values, and I also don't know what YMMV stands for :confused:

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

I think what Chris was getting at is that the materials are very slick and glossy, with lot's of color photographs, and graphic side-bars, and resemble high-end (expensive) school textbooks. And that isn't his taste.

I tend to be in the same boat, but it wouldn't be a "deal-killer" if the context was sufficiently compelling. However, the "production values" would be a "hurdle" to over-come in my case rather than a positive "feature". Unless, of course, I had a child who needed the "glitz" to capture his or her imagination. That, however, is the condition I think we are both attempting to avoid in a myriad of ways including using some works that are not highly stimulating visually.

It looks like it was designed to appeal to "school-boards", not all together a bad thing if you can get Latin back in school curriculum. But some of us like materials a little more plain.

Bill

I think what Chris was getting at is that the materials are very slick and glossy, with lot's of color photographs, and graphic side-bars, and resemble high-end (expensive) school textbooks. And that isn't his taste.

I tend to be in the same boat, but it wouldn't be a "deal-killer" if the context was sufficiently compelling. However, the "production values" would be a "hurdle" to over-come in my case rather than a positive "feature". Unless, of course, I had a child who needed the "glitz" to capture his or her imagination. That, however, is the condition I think we are both attempting to avoid in a myriad of ways including using some works that are not highly stimulating visually.

The content in the book itself would function very well as a stand-alone, without the extra web resources. The text does have color photographs, but they seem to have been selected specifically to contextualize with the content. (The chapter on Plautus, a Roman playwright, is illustrated by a Pompeiian fresco of actors, a dramatic mask, and a Roman theater. The photographs seem to have been selected purposefully.) There aren't a lot of color side-bars in the textbook at all, though the chants are highlighted by violet colored textboxes. There are color headers along the top edges of pages to code specific sections of each chapter (differentiating between reading, culture, exercises, phrases/quotations, useful for some, perhaps distracting to others.)

There are a huge number of excellent Latin program choices. It all comes down to individual preferences and learning styles. (Combining Our Latin Heritage with Lingua Latina is a great idea! No need to switch curricula!)

Edited by latinteach

The content in the book itself would function very well as a stand-alone, without the extra web resources. The text does have color photographs, but they seem to have been selected specifically to contextualize with the content. (The chapter on Plautus, a Roman playwright, is illustrated by a Pompeiian fresco of actors, a dramatic mask, and a Roman theater. The photographs seem to have been selected purposefully.) There aren't a lot of color side-bars in the textbook at all, though the chants are highlighted by violet colored textboxes. There are color headers along the top edges of pages to code specific sections of each chapter (differentiating between reading, culture, exercises, phrases/quotations, useful for some, perhaps distracting to others.)

There are a huge number of excellent Latin program choices. It all comes down to individual preferences and learning styles. (Combining Our Latin Heritage with Lingua Latina is a great idea! No need to switch curricula!)

I will go look at more samples. I highly value your input on these matters, and always enjoy reading your posts.

Bill

Good point.

I wouldn't want an elementary program to cover that much material in a year! Yikes. At least I don't think I would.

This clearly is a high school approach, isn't it?

The OP was comparing it to Cambridge--that isn't a high school approach, too, is it?

I've been looking at and comparing Latin programs in the last couple of days and appreciate your input, Latinteach!

Researching a Latin program from my position is such a quagmire.

Cambridge is a high school program. It can be paced for middle school and is indeed used in many middle schools. Middle school teachers slow it down.

The National Latin Exam website (http://www.nle.org/syllabi.html) is a good place to start when you're trying to figure out pacing. There are syllabi there for Intro to Latin, Latin I, Latin II, a proposed Latin III exam (transitional, for those who finish out Latin grammar in the third year), Latin III/IV Prose/Poetry (for those who finished Latin grammar in the second year.) The NLE isn't an official statement of what belongs in each year of Latin, per se, but it's a good place to start.

Just about any Latin program can be paced for age levels. Wheelock's and Lingua Latina are college level, but many people pace them to middle and secondary school.

Pick the program that you think will work best for you and remember, you can always combine like others here have done.

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

It looks like it was designed to appeal to "school-boards", not all together a bad thing if you can get Latin back in school curriculum. But some of us like materials a little more plain.

Bill

I've been combing over the samples for some time now, and I did not find it to be overly slick in its presentation -- and I've seen quite a few very chaotic texts in my day. (Once I spent an afternoon looking at a US History text and came away with one of the worst headaches of my life. No kidding.) The presentation is actually very clean, imho.

For those of us who have been struggling to make various different programs work, struggling to balance the grammar-intensive method with the reading method, this series seems to be the answer to our fervent wishes for more of a one-stop-shopping resource. Sure, Cambridge is delightful and has a billion supplemental materials, but shoot! Which ones!? Not all of us come into this with a vast Antiquarian background. In fact, very few of us do. ;)

Sure, I love Latin Book One. I love older texts and own an embarrassing lot of them. But in terms of usability for the novice, for someone feeling her way and trying to balance grammar drill with whole language and history, LNM appears to be a giant leap forward.

Just kidding. ;)

It does look nice, but goodness, it's pricey. :eek:

Trouble with a capital "T" in general, but not this time!

You know what I'm thinking, about the price? I have probably spent far more money on all the various supplements and helps and ancillary materials for Latin in my quest to make it work around here than the cost of this program.

You're right, it's expensive. But I think that after I sell off all my unused curricula, I'm going to take the plunge.

I've been combing over the samples for some time now, and I did not find it to be overly slick in its presentation -- and I've seen quite a few very chaotic texts in my day. (Once I spent an afternoon looking at a US History text and came away with one of the worst headaches of my life. No kidding.) The presentation is actually very clean, imho.

It's flashy when this is your base of comparison :D

http://www.lingua-latina.dk/index2.htm

But I'll admit to being a split-minded on this sort of thing.

Old fashioned Dad: Color photos??? *humbug*

New fashioned Dad: Color photos??? *cool*

Bill

Lively Latin is an elementary school level program.

LNM Level 1 and Level 2 are two full year's of high school Latin. Level 1 covers all five declensions, all four conjugations (all tenses, active and passive voices, etc.)

So LNM 1 & 2 could be used right after finishing Lively Latin 1 & 2? Would this be an appropriate sequence?