Menu

Power outage killed my printer. Suggestions for a new one?

Actually, it probably wasn't the power outage as much as the fact that it is 5 years old and it has been worked to death. We really don't turn it off anymore because it has been a pain to get turned back on. It turns on now, but the message panel says there is a scanner error and it makes a horrible noise.

I have an HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one. It has been a great workhorse, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a comparable model. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has a better suggestion.

We mostly print, but we do a fair number of copies. We don't fax often, but just often enough that I know we want that feature, also.

TIA!

(and we just won't talk about the fact that I spent over $50 on new ink cartridges last week :tongue_smilie: )

You can save money in the long run with 2--an all in one for color printing and copying, and a LaserJet for Black and White printing. The costs are 3 cents vs. 7 cents a page for ink, over the long run if you print a lot of things the LaserJet will pay for itself. We print a lot of things, our HP LaserJet 1320 has worked great for us. We use our all in one for occasional copying and color printing.

We've gone from buying $50 ink every few months to a $100 cartridge once every 12 to 18 months. Plus, we can now print duplex and save on paper costs as well.

Edited by ElizabethB

I second Elizabeth B's suggestion. I have an a-i-o for color and copies and a laser for all b/w. My laser toner prints 4,000 pages and costs about 1 cent a page.

HP makes great printers and I highly recommend getting an HP.

Ours is actually probably closer to 1 to 2 cents per page, but I haven't calculated it exactly, so I went with a conservative estimate I'd seen from a reliable source on the cost comparisons between the two.

Love love my Officejet Pro L7580.

YOu can check page yields for HP printers at (mine uses the 88XL cartridges, $34 for 2500 pages!)

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html

This inkjet has a lower cost per page than my Brother laser printer did.

I checked Consumer Reports (you cna join online for a month) and they rate printers based on print cost. I picked the cheapest all-in-one. It is about 1/2 of what my laser cost!

I had had 2 separate units before - still have them, they both work, laser printer just needs toner again - but i wasn't ever really happy. I could set the scanner to scan and print to the printer - but the computer had to be on and the margins were always wonky for me. I'm much happier with the document feeder and all0in-one for school stuff.

But i am beyond happy with this printer!!