Menu

Anyone using Life of Fred on it's own for math?

mazakaal

I'm thinking about switching my older boys over to LoF next year.

A little background...

My oldest will be in 8th grade. He completed Singapore up though 5B. When he was partly through 6A we abandoned it because he just wasn't learning anything. He had struggled through 5A&B and continued having a hard time in 6A. He switched to TT did TT6 last year and is working through TT7 this year. He was doing really well with it, but has been struggling lately. I was going to stick with TT for next year because I think it's a good program, but recent posts made me very curious about LoF. I've studied the web site and am very impressed. I was thinking about having ds do Fractions and Decimals and Percents all next year, then moving on from there.

My second ds will be in 6th grade. He's finishing Singapore 5B now and has been doing very well with it. I had been planning on continuing with Singapore for him, but, again, am considering switching to LoF, having him just work through Fractions next year, then Decimals and Percents in 7th grade and continuing on.

So, is LoF enough on its own? Will I be ruining their education if I use only LoF?

I am using LoF on it's own for my 8th grade dd. We used Chalkdust math for 7th prealgebra but she, not being a mathy student, wasn't "getting" it. We started with LoF fractions & Decimals at the beginning of this year to review prealgebra and she said she "got" percents for the 1st time. She is struggling her way through Beginning algebra now. She loves the story format and is much more willing to work on math than with other programs. It seems pretty thorough to me, but you for sure need the Home companion book to include a little more review than this program does. Plus the home companion has more teaching/explanations that are helpful. For my dd, this is her best bet in math in leu of a flesh & blood algebra teacher.

My 10 yo son, on the other hand, is pretty astute at math & begged to do some LoF too. He is doing 5th grade Abeka math and has already gone through LoF fractions and 1/2 way through Decimals without much trouble. He is one that I'm not sure I would use LoF on its own, just because it would be good to have more than just one perspective on math for him.

HTH. The author of LoF is very nice. You can email (or even call him) and he will give you help if you need.

I'm curious as well, especially for the level you're asking about...

My older two are finishing up Singapore 5B, and have been breezing through math this year, which has been a bit surprising to me because I don't consider them math whizzes and I've always heard how hard this level is.

They completed LOF Fractions last summer, and we'll do LOF Decimals/Percents this summer. I've been wondering if we should continue after that with Singapore 6A/B or if we could go right into Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 1A/B (a 7th books that have prealgebra, beginning algebra and some geometry). After that I'll switch to Algebra proper.

In the Singapore sequence that's skipping a level, but then I've heard you can go right into algebra after those two LOF books, so...? In fact, I'm thinking for my more verbal girl, I'm just going to have her do LOF alone after DM1 (starting with Beginning Algebra), so according to the LOF sequence, that's actually adding one (PM6) or even two (DM1) levels inbetween, rather than skipping anything. So confusing!

It doesn't look to me like there's that much new material in 6a/b - am I missing something?? Right now my thought has been to do LOF decimals/percents, then go through the 6a/b texts with just the CWP books rather than the workbooks, so I don't "miss" anything, but we can maybe move a little more quickly? But I waffle. Skip entirely? Do the whole thing? Just toss the CWP at them? Aaaaah!

I wonder if the reason they've had such an easy time in math this year is the LOF last summer...?

If anyone has used LOF Fractions & Decimals/Percents, do you think it's necessary or even just a good idea to still do 6a/b afterwards, or could we just move on?

We just bought LoF Fractions, and will start using it as soon as we finish BJU Math 4. I plan to use it on its own, and then continue with the LoF series (assuming it works for us.)

I have to say that ordering Life of Fred was a great experience -- the author of the book is very nice, and mailed the book (very nicely packaged,) the same day I placed the order. He also autographed the book, and seems to be very willing to answer questions about his books. Honestly, how many other author/publishers give you their direct phone numbers so you can contact them whenever you need them?

I am quite impressed by what I have seen so far of the Fractions book, and hope to be able to use the entire math series -- mainly because I'm so impressed with the author's accessibility!

Cat

I'm curious as well, especially for the level you're asking about...

If anyone has used LOF Fractions & Decimals/Percents, do you think it's necessary or even just a good idea to still do 6a/b afterwards, or could we just move on?

The author of LoF advises not to start Fred Algebra until 13 or 14 or puberty. He believes the brain is just not mature enough before that. He would say do 6a/b just to kill time. I emailed him and asked what to do with my ds after decimals percents and he said not Algebra, not yet.

I think it a rare person that will send you off to another curriculum to play for a year knowing well they could lose you forever, but that is exactly what he advised us.

We are using LoF for Alg, Alg. 2 and Geometry with companions on the Algebras. My dd's are LOVING it and they are not thrilled with math. They are actually happy to do it now. The books were shipped same day and pkged well and signed. I think there are plenty of problems without using anything else.

Ordering from the author is a treat. :D

LOF Fractions and Decimals are alone not a full year program, IMO. They are both about 35 chapters (lessons). I would plan on using both in one year.

We are completing Singapore 5a while we work through the decimals/percents book.

The beginning algebra book has 108 lessons when combined with the Home Companion. It is definitely a full program.

I think the hesitancy of using it as a stand alone program comes from the it being a fairly new (not sure how long) and different curriculum. Remember math isn't supposed to be fun, you're not supposed to laugh in math, right? AT least that was what I thought. :lol::lol:

I do plan on using LOF throughout the series. Whether it will be in conjunction with another program remains to be seen.

ETA: I do plan on starting Beginning Algebra with my ds next year. He will be 12 but is very mathy. He's been begging to do algebra for two years. I told him he had to get through the first two LOF books first. Singapore 5b is my fallback program, just in case algebra bombs.

Edited by elegantlion

So I could use both for my 8th grader, but if I use both for my 6th grader, he'll be too young (according to the author) at 12yo to start Algebra the following year. Should I go ahead and do Singapore 6A&B with him next year and hold off for a year on LoF?

The author of LoF advises not to start Fred Algebra until 13 or 14 or puberty. He believes the brain is just not mature enough before that. He would say do 6a/b just to kill time. I emailed him and asked what to do with my ds after decimals percents and he said not Algebra, not yet.

I think it a rare person that will send you off to another curriculum to play for a year knowing well they could lose you forever, but that is exactly what he advised us.

What is 6a/b?

We are using it as a stand alone program and so far we *love* it. Kiddo is in 8th grade and we started Algebra this year with Teaching Textbooks. I loved it and she did too for aboout 10 lessons and then it all went downhill from there. After much debate we switched to Saxon and *huge* mistake. It may be great for some but it did not work for us. I had bought LoF as a supplement and in desperation we turned to that [with home companion] and we LOVE it. We both *get it* and I have emailed the author twice for things we didn't understand and he replied right back.

Kiddo is not a math whiz and doesn't plan to major in anything math heavy so we are sticking with it all the way through 12th grade and Calculus. I think it is a great program and agree that the fear factor is just because it is 'new'.

So, is LoF enough on its own? Will I be ruining their education if I use only LoF?

I don't know if LoF is enough on its own, but you will not be ruining their education if you use LoF alone. IMHO, you could do worse than LoF. We are using MUS Algebra and LoF Algebra this year. LoF is much more challenging. My bright but kinda lazy and definitely hormonal, math-oriented 13yo ds flies through MUS but needs regular help with LoF.

I also like to quote Kathy in MD in this thread:

I think some will be reluctant to use it as a stand alone program until it has more of a track record on these boards, because something so fun shouldn't be so good. OTOH, some may be forseeing trying to explain to the admission officer at MIT that a book titled Life of Fred IS a serious calculus text.

:iagree:

My 2c.

We have used singapore 1 through 6b, Lof fractions and decimals and recently started LoF beginning algebra. He is enjoying it and doing it as a stand alone at the moment. We may add problems from NEM later. He also does logic and puzzle books and says that helps alot.He will be 12 in June.

My son has used Singapore through 5B, but after getting halfway through 6A we abandoned the program. He had completed LOF Fractions (after 4B - summer) and Decimals and Percents (after 5B - summer) and really wanted to try LOF Algebra. He had taken to reading it on the toilet :lol: so I figured we might as well give it a try! After the first couple of chapters, I felt there were still some gaps to fill before Algebra (we are with a charter, so need to take all the state standards tests, and I saw that ds had not done the graphing, probability, etc. that was to be expected by his mathematical grade level, which is 7th) so I decided to spend the rest of the year (4th grade) going through a California McDougall-Littell Pre-Algebra text before going back to LOF Algebra. My son is only 9, so we are definitely reaching Algebra early - but he is ready. We may supplement with another text, because I want him to have a strong foundation in math (and he loves it!). I have purchased both Jacobs and AOPS Algebra. We are going to try Descartes Cove software for review this summer, and then I will choose from this ever-increasing stack of Algebra texts (hmm.... should I buy a used Foerster's too....:willy_nilly:). My husband keeps asking me when I am going to sell some of these, or if I plan on using them all...!!! I told him that some people collect rocks, I collect math textbooks..!!!

My son is 9. He breezed through the first two LoF books and started Algebra. Give him an equation and he can readily solve for the unknown. It's figuring out how to express a word problem as an equation that is a little difficult for him at his current stage of development.

So we're going back and breezing through Singapore 5 and 6. There are a few things in Singapore 5 and 6 he needs a little more practice on, but not that much. (Mostly trapezoid and volume problems.)

All in all, I think Life of Fred is great. Once we're done with our Singapore review, we will resume it.